Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Awful!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 09:43 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the ability to enjoy a movie should not be dependent on seeing the one after it to "get" the story. This is part of the problem I have with the Star wars prequels, and also THe Matrix reloaded. Everyone says "wait till the next one comes out then you'll like this one better..."

That's bunk. I didn't need to wait for Jedi to like Empire.... A movie should be able to stand by itself without needing to use the movie after it as a crutch. This is my problem with Matrix reloadeed.
Old 06-16-03, 10:50 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadow
That's bunk.
Jerry: "I thought the whole dream of dating a doctor was debunked."

Elaine: "No way. It's totally bunk."

Jerry: "Isn't bunk bad, like 'that's a lotta bunk'?"

George: "No. Something is bunk and then you debunk it."
Old 06-18-03, 02:43 AM

That's bunk. I didn't need to wait for Jedi to like Empire.... A movie should be able to stand by itself without needing to use the movie after it as a crutch. This is my problem with Matrix reloadeed.
Yea, that's fine, except for the fact that Reloaded and Revolutions is ONE MOVIE, spanning 72 hours. Why else do you think the sequel (a.k.a. second half of the movie....) is coming out a mere 6 months after the first?
Old 06-18-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I just finally saw Reloaded last night... I gotta say:

has over obvious CG, cheesy/corny script, overblown fx, gratuitous in every way possible, pointless plot, and absolutely nothing like the original film.

I loved it. Had to be one of the most entertaining Scifi flicks I have ever said, totally engaging 2hr+.

That said, I didn't really care for the original that much, found it well made but boring. That said, there is an obvious change in this one that made it superior - people actually have personalities, and the corny dialogue made it more enjoyable than the over abundance of emotionless drivvel in the first film.

Can't wait for Revolutions now.

-Rich
Old 06-25-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally saw this tonight. I was, well, bored. The car chase was great, but otherwise, about a half hour of fighting could easily have been cut out.....I left the theater thinking one thing: the Wachowski brothers love themselves very very much - for this was the most blatantly self-indulgent love-fest i've ever seen this side of M. Night Shamalamadingdong.....the Agent Smith fight was ridiculous and the CGI was terrible....perhaps the worst i've ever seen. they looked like video game people.

As for the Architect: "grotesqueify?" please. they were even making up words.
Old 06-26-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by brizz
As for the Architect: "grotesqueify?" please. they were even making up words.
Well, had they used such a word, then your case would be valid. However, they did not use such a word. Either you misheard the line, or perhaps you are just trying too hard to find things to criticize.

The word used in the movie was grotesqueries. Click on the link to look it up.
Old 06-26-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Fine...it is technically a real word....one which I have never heard in my life - a life that has included years of graduate school in anthropology and history reading books piled on books full of jargon and giant words scholars love to throw about to show their self-importance. The point is that the whole scene was silly....and that such language was one of the main reasons it was silly - it all typified the over-the-top nature of everything in it resulting from the Wachowskis thinking they are the greatest filmmakers of all time - much like academics who think they are the smartest people on earth. They are not, and they made a very average movie. the only reason it's in my top ten of 2003 so far is that i've only seen 11 movies as of today - and TMR sits at #10. It wasn't awful as the thread titles suggests....but it certainly wasn't all that good.

Once again: I'm amazed at how so much action could be so incredibly boring.

And for the record, I loved the first....really loved it.
Old 06-27-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the first had less action. So that obviously isn't always the answer.

As for those who thought the CG was terrible, have you ever seen other movies with CG? There were certainly moments where you could decipher the CG from the real (our real, not the Matrix real), but Reloaded was usually better than most movies to date. Fact. CG movies have not looked real yet.
Old 06-28-03, 04:58 PM

Fine, some CG scenes looked obvious. But it wasn't until a few weeks after I saw it that someone told me that the Ttinity jumping out of the building scene was in CG, and cars in the motorcycle chase through opposing traffic was CG as well. I'd say that's some damned good CG, if you never even thought about it before.
Old 06-29-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The original 'Matrix' held up on it's own, even though we knew to expect sequels... Unlike 'Reloaded' which has problems holding my attenion. The CG looks like something out of Spiderman (ugh!), the story seems to be goin' nowhere and just adds new characters for the sake of makin' it a 2 hour story..
Old 07-06-03, 03:07 PM

This movie really is awful. Unoriginal, pretentious, poorly written, and otherwise completely forgettable. I expected it to be visually dazzling at the very least -- indeed, I didn't really expect much else -- but it wasn't even that.

And please, folks, this movie is not "deep" or thought-provoking. It is merely a mediocre action movie.

Can't wait for the next Bond!!!!!~
Old 07-06-03, 03:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Now that this thread has been moved back into the Movie forum, it makes no sense until a few posts in.
Old 07-06-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
Fine...it is technically a real word....one which I have never heard in my life - a life that has included years of graduate school in anthropology and history reading books piled on books full of jargon and giant words scholars love to throw about to show their self-importance.
Really? I've known that word since I was 3 or 4. Of course, I spent my childhood travelling with the side show, and it used to hang on a banner across the doorway along with something about "two bits".