Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

breasts removed from Knick Knack short before finding nemo

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

breasts removed from Knick Knack short before finding nemo

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-03, 05:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tarantino
So the breasts are smaller...who the f cares? It still gets the point across.

I hate it when people make a big deal out of nothing.
so what's the big deal if people want to make a big deal out of nothing?
Old 06-12-03, 12:50 PM
Banned

It disapoints me to see Pixar do this. I say if there's a problem then don't show it at all. Leave it out.

I hope they include both versions on the DVD
Old 06-12-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with this is that it's simply another step in perpetuating the puritanical fear of our own bodies that governs the MPAA and studio execs. They're boobs....big friggin deal. Some women have large ones....god forbid a child should ever see a boob - despite the fact that they've sucked on them for sustenance for the first months, and sometimes years of their lives.

it's just stupid, plain and simple.
Old 06-12-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"perpetuating the puritanical fear of our own bodies that governs the MPAA and studio execs.." ??

First of all, you're making an assumption that the MPAA had something to do with Disney/Pixar deciding to deflate her...

If you want to take it a step further, I submit that this short perpetuates the fact that one needs big tits to be glamourous. Most females with big, NATURAL breasts could only dream of a figure like that. In fact, unless she was wearing a corset, wouldn't that be physically impossible?

It's funny...I was watching Fame the other night [the movie, not the AI-wannabe..] and 95% of the females were flat chested. If that movie were made today, would they still be? Doubt it. If not due to the casting directors, it would be due to females buying into the myth nowadays that tits get you jobs.

Who cares? It's a friggin' cartoon [and it looks like a crudely animated one at that...] If Pixar &/or the original animator is fine with it, where's the controversy? In the end...you're right, this whole drama -- "It's just stupid, plain and simple."
Old 06-12-03, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rogue588
It's funny...I was watching Fame the other night [the movie, not the AI-wannabe..] and 95% of the females were flat chested. If that movie were made today, would they still be? Doubt it. If not due to the casting directors, it would be due to females buying into the myth nowadays that tits get you jobs.
Since it's about dancers, yes, they would probably still be flat. Didn't you see Center Stage from 2000? Those ballerinas were all flat.
Old 06-12-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't mind as long as the original will be available on DVD in the future.
Old 06-12-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Pants
Since it's about dancers, yes, they would probably still be flat. Didn't you see Center Stage from 2000? Those ballerinas were all flat.
Missed Center Stage. It was on my list of things to do, but as I got down to the final two things on the list -- novocaine-less root canal surgery won out..

Seriously though, Fame was about actors, musicians & dancers. Perhaps regarding ballet [& other forms of dance] it wouldn't be too wise to get an enhancement. The same doesn't seem to hold true regarding other areas of the Entertainment industry [film, TV, music..]. Your "fame" seems to increase with your bust size. [Pam & Carmen are the best examples..]
Old 06-12-03, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I don't mind as long as the original will be available on DVD in the future.
Why? Does this forum really brainwash people so much that this philosophy must apply to everything? Scary this DVDTalk forum is.
Old 06-12-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nobody finds the breasts on the mermaid with just the starfish pasties just a little too risque for a short before a children's movie? I understand some of the reasoning for being upset over this change, but I brought my children to this movie and I don't really think it's appropriate for children of that age. Also really seems to send the wrong message to young girls who are already constantly assualted the idea that big breasts are perfect.

In the end, it's Pixar's short and if they want to change it, I have no problem with that. I actually imagine there would have been more uproar from the general public at large if they had left it the way it was originally.
Old 06-12-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I saw Finding Nemo last week, I immediately noticed the change. Having been a fan of Pixar for about 5-10 years before Toy Story came out, I'd already seen Knick Knack many many times before this. It came as quite an amusing surprise when the breasts went from grossly exaggerated to non-existant. I thought it the most amusing thing that evening, and I laughed A LOT during Nemo. Perhaps I found it most amusing since I was the only one in the theater to have noticed it.

Still, I think they shouldn't have reduced them so much. The breasts were always way out of proportion, so I see Disney/Pixar's reason for reducing them. But did they have to make her completely flat? Seemed a little silly to me.
Old 06-13-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't notice, didn't care.
Old 06-13-03, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by badger1997
Nobody finds the breasts on the mermaid with just the starfish pasties just a little too risque for a short before a children's movie? I understand some of the reasoning for being upset over this change, but I brought my children to this movie and I don't really think it's appropriate for children of that age. Also really seems to send the wrong message to young girls who are already constantly assualted the idea that big breasts are perfect.
I agree. But I feel that if it's too risque rather than changing it it shouldn't have been shown at all. Just don't show it! There, problem solved. And you've protected your integrity.
Old 06-13-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I mentioned this in the Finding Nemo thread... but no one saw it. I even had pictures!

I agree with Badger, it is a big risque for a kid's flick, and the short does still stand on its own without the large breasts. However, in my opinion, it is much funnier with the breasts intact. The snowman's reactions to her the girls are funny enough, but when they then show a close-up of the girls, with teh breasts and part of the head making up the frame, i laugh every time. In the edited version, the framing just looks... weird.

I hope they include the unedited version as an easter egg, atleast, on the DVD.

My original post: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=2

You'll have to scroll down
Old 07-01-03, 11:56 PM
Cool New Member

i agree with the media....

1. I don't care how small or big (no pun intended) the change is, filmmakers need to stop tinkering with their originals.

2. I think making their boobs DOES change the joke, in that in the original, the Snowman is REALLY "excited" and wants to get out, and for good reason. I mean, look at what he goes through to try and get free. If you were him, and these girls' boobs were tiny, would you work so hard?

that's what i thought....
Old 07-02-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The point was their was a hot chick outside of his world and he tries to go to her. the snow man isn't trying to go to the boobs so by taking them out doesn't change anything. He is still trying to go with the girl

Get over it. This is Pixar's choice. they have enough brass balls to stand up to disney if they oppose a view. Back then they were a smaller company which catered to a more "film short" group. The decided to put this on Nemo and they figure that it's a kids film, why not cater to that and change it. You can still find the original if you so please. I have the original. no big loss. It didn't destroy anything from the story if you ask me.
Old 07-02-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Noticed the change and didn't care.

Some people are getting WAY too bent out of shape over some animated boobs.
Old 07-02-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Draven
Some people are getting WAY too bent out of shape over some animated boobs.

Let's not forget the brave soul in the main DVD forum whose life goal is to preserve the 3 frames (ie: 1/6th of a second) that COULD be Jessica Rabbit's crotch.
Old 07-02-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 07-02-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: i agree with the media....

Originally posted by mikemckiernan
2. I think making their boobs DOES change the joke, in that in the original, the Snowman is REALLY "excited" and wants to get out, and for good reason. I mean, look at what he goes through to try and get free. If you were him, and these girls' boobs were tiny, would you work so hard?
Absolutely--I like all sizes.

I didn't notice the change at the time of seeing this, I was just glad to see it again, since I haven't for awhile.