Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any TMR: IMAX Experience reviews?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-03, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw CKMorpheus's review in the other thread, but was wondering how many others saw it and what they thought of it. Is it worth the $8-$12 ticket price? I may see it next wednesday or thursday
Old 06-08-03, 12:27 AM
Suspended

It definately makes everybody seem more human (Morpheus' face looks like the moon).

Also, I thought the CGI scenes looked much less like CGI on the Imax print. I could see so much more detail in those scenes that it blurred the lines a little more.
Old 06-08-03, 02:20 AM

Yes it is worth the price to see it again. Remember very few theaters in out of the whole U.S. have Imax movie screens. If you have one near you it is SURELY worth it to see it again in IMAX format. The sound and clarity the size will overwhelm you! I just came back from my first Imax exp in the manhattan loews and it was a very very memorable IMAX experience!
Old 06-08-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going today! It was sold out yesterday, so I bought a ticket for today. I can't believe I shelled out $11.50 for the ticket though...
Old 06-08-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it at the IMAX as well yesterday. Definintely worth the price, and the large print really brings more detail to a lot of the larger setpiece shots like Zion. I intend to try and catch Revolutions on the IMAX its opening night, which I have heard will be the first ever simultaneous IMAX opening with a large release.
Old 06-08-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One word: AWESOME!

The IMAX at the Mall of Georgia (northeast of Atlanta) has a kickbutt theater for IMAX. The bass from this movie was plentiful and very effective. The screen is 6 stories high by 8 stories wide, it's nice and big.

Reloaded on IMAX does appear to be in its 2.35 OAR (I did a quick measurement by using my fingers to approximate the height and width ratios, and it was about 2 1/3 wide as it was tall. It does feel a little taller though, perhaps due to the enormity of the its size relative to viewing distance.

The one drawback about IMAX is that it's very unforgiving, you do see every little facial imperfection on the actors' faces. Fishburne is a bit too scary on IMAX.

Anyhow, if you are a fan of the film, and its IMAX version if playing near you, you owe it to yourself to go see it. You'll have greater appreciation for all the minute details that are in this film, frame by frame. It's quite amazing in terms of the details embedded in the film.

Last edited by Patman; 06-08-03 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-14-03, 10:19 PM

IMAX Comments

IN-CRED-I-BLE!

I have already seen Reloaded twice in "regular" theaters. I just saw it today in IMAX at the Virginia Air and Space Museum. in Hampton, VA.

It was sooooo worth the drive and admission price. The freeway sequence alone was worth the cost.

It was difficult for my eyes to adjust to the huge picture at first. However, once I became more adjusted to it, it was incredible.

Some points:

It is in 2.35:1 OAR. They letterboxed it on the IMAX screen.

Further, it is apparently uncut. This was my third time seeing it & I don't believe they cut anything. As a matter of fact, one of the museum employees/volunteers told me that the museum had to do an IMAX equipment upgrade. The upgrade involved the reel handling equipment. So, according to the person I was speaking with, they can handle films that run past the 2hr mark now.

The detail level is truly astounding. I don't know the details about IMAX's 35mm to IMAX conversion process, but it is a doozy. The picture quality was crystal clear. There were a few scenes that were tough to see though just because of the nature of the shots (very close-ups).

The sound quality is one of the things I noticed most. Really, really good surround sound. It also seems like the sound effects during the Agent Smith fight were enhanced. Scenes involving massive explosions were particularly cool, you could literally feel the rumble of the flames/explosives going "ffoooommfffff".

Strangely enough, the CG scenes of Neo didn't seem quite as blatantly CG. One of my friends I saw it with agreed with me about this.

The freeway scene in IMAX was totally worth the drive and cost of admission by itself. I have never **experienced**, not just have seen, anything like it before.

The only major real negative point that I can think of was that some of the close-up shots were really hard to focus on/handle. This might just be me. I would appreciate comments on this point by others.

The fight scenes in general were very, very good. Again, I had a little trouble being able to focus appropriately. Having an image that takes up so much space, and with bodies flying around at high speeds takes some getting used to.

If you liked the movie, you *have* to see it in IMAX. I don't even think I want to see Revolutions on a regular screen now. IMHO the movie is worth every penny of the admission price. This is especially true if you manage to get a center seat like I did.
Old 06-15-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very impressive -- saw it at Universal City. The IMAX digital mastering process of enlarging the film really does work well--I don't know if MR was originated on a 'grainy' stock but the film looked totally smooth and was much more impactful.

Unfortunately (this was my second viewing of the film) my opinion of it is pretty much the same, that is on the cold side of lukewarm.
Old 06-16-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

IMAX films can now run 150 minutes, so this helps for many films who would otherwise need some trimming to fit in their old running time limits of 120 minutes in the past.
Old 06-16-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just saw it for the 4th time at Imax in Lincolnshire, IL. When I saw it the previews 3 times the picture looked good. Nothing to complaine about, but when I saw it on Imax, my jaw just dropped. Picture & Sound were incredible!!! I will definitely be checking out Matrix Revolution at Imax. Once you see a movie there, you're spoiled for life. Definitely worth the extra $2.50.
Old 06-18-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sound is better only because Imax theaters actually try to keep up their sound equipment and use it properly. Good reason to go there.
Old 06-18-03, 04:13 PM

Cool!

I'm planning to go watch it this weekend in our only IMAX theater. Hopefully it will still be there...
Old 06-22-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Can someone compare it to SW:AOTC? And please don't compare movies, compare sound and picture quality.

I'm going to see it tonight with my group at work as a "company outing" so its free. I'd still pay to see it though. Very excited because i was blown away by AOTC.
Old 06-22-03, 10:24 PM

Saw the IMAX version last week, and was impressed by the visual quality. However, the sound pretty much sucked. There was no loudness to it, and in fact the sound effects were more exciting in the regular theatrical release. Maybe it was just this particular IMAX theater.
Old 06-23-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw it last night. Completely blown away. I think it beats AOTC, however, that could be because we were in the perfect seats this time (we were on one of the ends for AOTC).

HitManX, probalby was your theater cause our sound was OUTSTANDING. That was probably the best part.

Overall it was just amazing and I HIGHLY recommend you go see it at an IMAX, even if you didn't like the movie.

However there is 1 major drawback. Walking out you'll say to yourself "How can I go to a regular movie theater after that". I can't believe we still waste our time at those place, but I guess you take what you can get.
Old 06-23-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it Sat afternoon in Tampa.

AMAZING!

The sound was so amazing - the bass rumbled our chairs.

It took a little while to get used to the closeness of the screen - but after a couple minutes - we were locked in and blown away.

I especially liked the beginning when the movie starts and is showing the matrix code. I didn't pay too much attention to it when I saw the movie in the regular theatre, but the IMAX really makes it great.

For anyone holding off seeing this at IMAX - don't wait. I've already got plans to see Revolutions there - it is just that good!

This is the true movie experience!
Old 06-23-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really need to see this on the IMAX screen. How long is it running at the IMAX?
Old 06-23-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure.

From what I can tell - audiences are filling theatres for the showing. I'd have to think for the next couple of weeks at least.
Old 06-23-03, 12:10 PM

Saw it Saturday night in the Tulsa IMAX.It was 100% better on the imax screen.Since the first of the year I've saw Two Towers,X2,and the Matrix all on IMAX.I'm hooked!!
Old 06-23-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vman69
Saw it Saturday night in the Tulsa IMAX.It was 100% better on the imax screen.Since the first of the year I've saw Two Towers,X2,and the Matrix all on IMAX.I'm hooked!!
Yeah, but only one was made for IMAX. I've seen films projected on the "huge screen" that weren't made for it, and I'd much rather just go to a normal show.
Old 06-24-03, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Corvin
Yeah, but only one was made for IMAX. I've seen films projected on the "huge screen" that weren't made for it, and I'd much rather just go to a normal show.
I saw all of them on the "normal" screen before I went to the IMAX.It was still better.
Old 06-24-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No kidding, if you're a fan of this film, don't shortchange yourself by thinking "if it's not made for IMAX, it won't look good on an IMAX projection system" because that simply ain't the case for The Matrix Reloaded on IMAX!
Old 06-24-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen it twice already but was invited to see it again with a buddy of mine whose going for the first time.

Gonna see it in IMAX this weekend.

Should be great!
Old 06-24-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vman69
I saw all of them on the "normal" screen before I went to the IMAX.It was still better.
Better? You may have liked it more, but it seems to be a matter of preference more so than a simple this is better than that.

I'm not arguing that Reloaded on IMAX wasn't better than the 35 MM print, because it was. I was only saying I don't like seeing things projected on the IMAX screen that aren't made for that format. Every time I've gone they simply blow up the picture, and I think it makes for a rather lousy experience.
Old 06-24-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
I'm not arguing that Reloaded on IMAX wasn't better than the 35 MM print, because it was. I was only saying I don't like seeing things projected on the IMAX screen that aren't made for that format. Every time I've gone they simply blow up the picture, and I think it makes for a rather lousy experience.
Only if the print isn't mastered through IMAX's process which interpolates the image in such a way that grain is not increased. Matrix was originated on 35mm, but because it was put through that process it retained all of its sharpness and color (and more). So kudos to IMAX.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.