Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Travis Bickle is NOT a Villain!!!!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-04-03, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did those people at AFI even see Taxi Driver??
Old 06-04-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but it's absolutely true that he's not a villain. He's an antihero.
Old 06-04-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you. Same with Michael Corleone. Labeling them as "Villains" is trivializing and not particularly accurate, but I guess they didn't want to exclude those characters.
Old 06-04-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but it's absolutely true that he's not a villain. He's an antihero.
you beat me to it, word for word. But to clarify he's referring to AFI's 100 years of heroes and villains list.
Old 06-04-03, 10:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, he's not exactly a hero either. He doesn't fit comfortably into either category. Who cares? It's just a list.
Old 06-04-03, 10:31 AM

Hold on you two! Travis Bickle is both an antihero *and* a villain.

Mmmmm, good villain!
Old 06-04-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I hear villain I think antagonist, and Travis Bickel was definitely not the antagonist. Antihero seems more suited.
Old 06-04-03, 10:59 AM

I agree with the Travis Bickle thing...I thought the same thing, but Michael Corleone was nominated for The Godfather Part II - I think in that one (but not in the other two films), he is clearly a villian.
Old 06-04-03, 11:13 AM

Not quite ... Antagonist is the opposite of protagonist, and villain is the opposite of hero. But it's not always the case that the protagonist is a hero and the antagonist is a villain.

Take Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal. He's the protagonist of the movie, but he's also a villain.
Old 06-04-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Inverse

Take Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal. He's the protagonist of the movie,
You sure about that? Definately debatable.
Old 06-04-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I wonder if the time will come when we have to make a list of the best anti-heros in film history? Seems to be the way society is heading.
Old 06-04-03, 12:23 PM
Banned

Harry Lime's not a villain either then.

Travis is a villain. The point of Taxi Driver is that there is no hero, we're given only a bad guy to identify with, so we begin to see him as (if not the hero) the protagonist. Rest assured he is a bad dude.

If he's not a villain then what is he. The fact of the matter is that anti-heros are villains only we like them
Old 06-04-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Harry Lime's not a villain either then.
No... he just doesn't like cuckoo clocks.
Travis is a villain.
I disagree. In the context of the mean streets (sorry) of NY, Travis is not a villain, at least not in my book. I can relate to his alienation.
Old 06-04-03, 01:08 PM
Banned

and I can relate to Captain Hook (I mean he lost a hand to that stupid crocidile). Just because you can relate doesn't make them a hero.

The horror of Taxi Driver is that Scorsese sticks us with this nasty guy who we begin to understand because we're given no one else, no life ring, to identify with.

If he's not a villain then what is he...a hero?

Of course all this arguing is stupid. The point of the film was to rip down all the H'wood notions of white hat/black hat, good guy/bad guy. We're supposed to have trouble categorizing this guy.
Old 06-04-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact of the matter is that anti-heros are villains only we like them
That's not true at all. An anti-hero is defined by heroic acts performed by a person lacking traditional heroic qualities (courage, valour, compassion). Ash, John McClaine, Harry Stamper, Irwin Fletcher - they are all anti-heroes. AN antihero always ends up fighting on the side of good.

Travis Bickle, Alex, the entire cast of Starship Troopers, Tyler Durden - they may be protagonists, we may empathize with them, but in no way do they fall into the category of anti-hero.
Old 06-04-03, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BigPete
That's not true at all. An anti-hero is defined by heroic acts performed by a person lacking traditional heroic qualities (courage, valour, compassion). Ash, John McClaine, Harry Stamper, Irwin Fletcher - they are all anti-heroes. AN antihero always ends up fighting on the side of good.
Well now you're just wrong. John McClaine and Harry Stamper are both heros. They may be unlikely heros, but they are as prototypically "heroic" as any character in any movie...ever.
Old 06-04-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well now you're just wrong. John McClaine and Harry Stamper are both heros. They may be unlikely heros, but they are as prototypically "heroic" as any character in any movie...ever.
They are not prototypical heroes ... Hollywood just has a preference for anti-heroes and always has. It is actually quite difficult to quickly think of a movie where a true hero exists. Perhaps you need to revisit some classic literature to redefine your view of a hero rather than base it solely on what Hollywood has to show you.
Old 06-04-03, 01:36 PM
Banned

If you mean some kind of pure of heart , perfect in every way, handed down from the gods, aryan superman hero, then you're right there aren't too many in Hollywood.

Just because a hero is an "unlikely" hero doesn't mean he's an anti-hero. Harry Lime is an anti-hero. He's a racqueteer and responsible for the deaths of children. Harry Stamper and John McClaine are good men. They're not immoral or decadent. They're family men brought into a situation that demands them to be heroic. If Harry Stamper and John McClaine aren't heros then no one on the AFI list is a hero.

By your criteria Indiana Jones, James Bond, Han Solo, and Clarise Starling aren't heros because they all have dark sides or are not likely in the hero department.

Given your criteria there's only one character on the list: Superman
Old 06-04-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They put butch cassidy and the sundance kid as heros.
Old 06-04-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Travis is a villain, it's just that he ended up killing someone worse than himself. It's clear early in the film that Travis is going to kill someone, and it very nearly was the political candidate. He decides to become a killer, trains for it and kills. It was a premeditated act. Who he killed wasn't that important.

Now Bonnie & Clyde, I'll argue in the context of the movie they were not villains.
Old 06-04-03, 02:22 PM
Banned

So, if Travis is considered the villain then who is the hero? New York's mean streets? Harvey Keitel? There is always a hero and a villain in every movie, there cannot be one without the other. That is not debatable. Travis is an anti-hero. This is like calling Vin Diesel's character in Pitch Black a villain or Seth Gecko in From Dusk Till Dawn. This shouldn't even be debatable for Taxi Driver as Travis follows the basic formula of a hero by:
Spoiler:
Rescuing the damsel in distress and slaying her captives.
Old 06-04-03, 02:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
There is always a hero and a villain in every movie, there cannot be one without the other.
Bullpucky. Who is the hero in My Dinner With Andre. Who is the villain?
Old 06-04-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, there are a bunch of movies without villains, heroes, or both. THAT's not debatable.
Old 06-04-03, 02:56 PM

Who's the hero in Unforgiven?

Again, there's a difference between the protagonist -- the main character, the guy who drives the action forward -- and a hero.
Old 06-04-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
What do you think of this?

Mr. Blonde: Villain
Mr. Pink: Villain
Mr. Orange: Hero
Mr. White: Anti-Hero

Then again, Mr. Orange, did shoot that pregnant lady...

Pregnant lady who shot Mr. Orange: Hero?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.