Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Same location-different movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

In the original Invasion Of the Body Snatchers and in Halloween 2 both used the same location in one scene.The pods were handed out to the citizens of Santa Mira in the first movie and Michael Myers is shown walking down the street to the hospital in pursuit of Laurie Strode.Can you name other movies that used the same location in these movies?
Old 06-03-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're asking something like, "What obscure locations can be seen in more than one movie", correct? Otherwise, you're bound to get a lot of jokers saying, "Uh, I saw the Empire State Building in King Kong and again in every other movie ever made!"
Old 06-03-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Yes-obscure locations.
Old 06-03-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a place called Vasquez rocks...it's this rocky little place that Hollywood uses ALL the time. I can think of the Flintstones, that Star Trek movie where he fights Gorn, there are a ton other. You can recognize it by the diagonally jutting rockface. It's sorta distinctive but not too much, so it's funny to see it since I went camping there quite a bit.
Old 06-04-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The same surburban street is used in Back to the Future, Teen Wolf and Nightmare on Elm St., just to name a few. Given it's popularity, I"m sure it's been a few other ones too. I always assumed it was some readily availble backlot, but I believe the Back to the Future text commentary mentions that it's a street somewhere in So Cal.

And not as famous as the Empire St. Building, but a certain NYC landmark is the Flat Iron Building, at 23rd and 6th. Most famously featured as the triangle building that was used as the Daily Bugle in Spiderman, it's been in literally dozens of films and advertisments through the years.
Old 06-04-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ET and Poltergeist were filmed in the same location I believe. Different homes in the same neighborhood being constructed. Luckily ET was outta there before the bodies started popping up.
Old 06-04-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The bank heist in Heat</b. and the scene in fight club where Meat Loaf is chasing the people on a bike use the same location. In both scenes there are these giant 3D geometrical shapes all over the place.

Also the Hawaiian location where there is a large open field and huge wall of rock is seen in the foreground. I noticed both Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park used that location.
Old 06-04-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Trek and Star Wars both use outer space.

Old 06-04-03, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jaeufraser
There's a place called Vasquez rocks...it's this rocky little place that Hollywood uses ALL the time. I can think of the Flintstones, that Star Trek movie where he fights Gorn, there are a ton other. You can recognize it by the diagonally jutting rockface. It's sorta distinctive but not too much, so it's funny to see it since I went camping there quite a bit.
Also Jay and Silent Bob Strike back.

Last edited by Pants; 06-04-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by renaldow
ET and Poltergeist were filmed in the same location I believe. Different homes in the same neighborhood being constructed. Luckily ET was outta there before the bodies started popping up.
Northridge.
Old 06-04-03, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
The same surburban street is used in Back to the Future, Teen Wolf and Nightmare on Elm St., just to name a few.
Pasadena

Doc Brown's house and the house where Bruce Willis' father lives in Armageddon (only in Criterion Cut) are the same house: The Gamble House in Pasadena
Old 06-04-03, 12:41 PM
Banned

The Apartment at the end of Blade Runner is really an office building in downtown LA called the Bradbury Building and it is also featured in another move with Chuck Norris and he shoots it out with the bad guy there. And it's also in the Jack Nicholson movie Wolf.

The old ticketing room of Union Station in LA has been in dozens of movies and commercials. It was a bank in Catch Me If You Can and police HQ in Blade Runner. It was used in Nick of Time w/ Johnny Depp where it actually played what it is, a train station.

There's an abandoned building lobby in Downtown LA that is used all the time. It was the bank where Jim Carrey works in The Mask and it was the Library in Seven. I think it was also used in Catch Me If You Can.

The Biltmore is a Hotel in Downtown LA that was used in The Ghostbusters and in Fight Club, and tons of other stuff.

The Bonnaventure, another downtown hotel, was in True Lies, Escape from LA, In the Line of Fire, Strange Days, and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited by Pants; 06-04-03 at 01:54 PM.