Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Martin Scorsese to direct a bio on Bob Dylan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember Martin Scorsese's music documentary "The Last Waltz", here's whats next.....

"The Bob Dylan Anthology Project"

(05-20) 10:57 PDT LOS ANGELES (AP) --

How many roads must a man walk down before Martin Scorsese makes a movie about him?

The answer, my friend, is in the tentatively titled "Bob Dylan Anthology Project," a biography film about the iconic folk rocker directed by the "Gangs of New York" filmmaker.

The film, planned for release in 2005, will chronicle Dylan's 1963 breakthrough and the cultural and political influence of his music, Scorsese and his producing partners said Tuesday.

"I've admired and enjoyed his many musical transformations," Scorsese said in a statement. "For me, there is no other musical artist who weaves his influences so densely to create something so personal and unique."

In addition to playing in some theaters, the movie will also be broadcast on PBS in the United States and the BBC in the United Kingdom.

The documentary is in the tradition of "The Last Waltz," Scorsese's 1978 concert film about The Band, which also featured Dylan. The Dylan film is expected to feature live concert performances, studio recording sessions and a rare interview with the singer-songwriter.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has described Dylan, 62, as "the pre-eminent poet/lyricist and songwriter of his time" for composing such songs as "Like a Rolling Stone," "Blowin' in the Wind," "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "All Along the Watchtower."

Dylan also acts and sings in the upcoming fictional drama "Masked and Anonymous," set to debut July 25.

Man, I sure can not wait for this. I'm a huge Bob Dylan junkie.

I had never seen the "Last Waltz" though but I was meaning to blind buy the DVD soon.
Old 05-22-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He should get Stallone to play Dylan. He's got the unintelligible speech thing nailed.
Old 05-22-03, 06:29 PM
Banned

Enough with the idiotic Stallone jokes as it is getting seriously old. Knock it off.
Old 05-22-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoah Rocky, gotta let people live man. You're gonna wear yourself out defending Sly.

My dad's a huge Dylan fan. While he likes Scorcese, he thinks he's a one trick pony. We'll see what he does here.

As for The Last Waltz, that's just a great film. I took my mom for Mother's Day last year for a showing on the big screen. She cried like three times. I enjoyed it quite a lot too, even if I was like, 3 when it was made.
Old 05-23-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Last Waltz is incredible isn't it? It's just so amazing that Scorsese caught the whole singer/songwriter genre at it's peak. After The Last Waltz, none of artists were ever as popular as they were before or scores as many hits (except for perhaps Dylan, but he is eternal).
Old 05-23-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
My dad's a huge Dylan fan. While he likes Scorcese, he thinks he's a one trick pony.
Sorry, I'm intrigued. What is Scorsese's "one trick"?
Old 05-23-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't ask me, ask my dad. I think it has something to do with Scorcese's penchant for tough guy movies. Don't misunderstand me, my dad likes Scorcese, he just doesn't think he's very diverse.
Old 05-23-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
This Dylan film is a documentary/compilation right? Meaning nobody will be cast as Dylan except Dylan himself.
Old 05-23-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'd rather Scorsese made a straight-on documantary on Dyland instead of a concert film.

I love Dylan's songs, but I hate his sound.
Old 05-23-03, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Brain Stew
It's just so amazing that Scorsese caught the whole singer/songwriter genre at it's peak.
I would hardly call the performances in The Last Waltz anyones "peak". The whole point was that The Band was breaking up and this is one last hurrah for '60s singer/songwriters.

Many of their carrers would continue, but they were all past their peak (which was probably 1967)
Old 05-24-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
...but they were all past their peak (which was probably 1967)
Not all. Specifically, not Neil Young.
Old 05-24-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you go by record sales, market trends, and such, then maybe you could say they weren't at their peak. But does popularity and market saturation determine a musician's talent? If you're rather talking their maturity as musicians, and the particular peformances, I think one can say they were at their peak. I don't know, as I never went to any shows and so can't compare earlier performances with The Last Waltz, but I'm just saying, I don't think you can look at record sales and popularity to determine a musician's or a band's musical peak.
Old 05-24-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And on another note, I just want to mention my embarrassment over continuously mispelling Scorsese's name.

I'll do better in the future, promise.
Old 06-02-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar...ent_id=1891506

Scorsese Plans Film About Bob Dylan

Director Martin Scorsese is working on a documentary film titled "Bob Dylan Anthology Project," a biography about the iconic folk rocker. The film, planned for release in 2005, will chronicle Dylan's 1963 breakthrough and the cultural and political influence of his music, Scorsese and his producing partners said.

In addition to a limited theatrical release, the movie will be broadcast on PBS in the U.S. and the BBC in the U.K. The documentary is said to be in the tradition of "The Last Waltz," Scorsese's 1978 concert film about the Band, which also featured an appearance by Dylan. The new film is expected to feature live concert performances, studio recording sessions, and a rare interview with the singer/songwriter.

"I've admired and enjoyed his many musical transformations," Scorsese said in a statement. "For me, there is no other musical artist who weaves his influences so densely to create something so personal and unique."

Dylan resumes his summer touring schedule July 25 in Kelseyville, Calif. The artist also acts and sings in the upcoming fictional drama "Masked and Anonymous," set to debut July 25 in U.S. theaters.
Old 06-02-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I didn't think Bob Dylan was all that interesting, but I suppose I'll learn something more about him - other than his controversial move from acoustic to electric in 1965

Also, who in the world could possibly play Dylan? Nobody in the world looks like him, other than his own children, but even they don't emcompass the incredible look this man/boy had in 1963.
Old 06-02-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Buttmunker
Personally, I didn't think Bob Dylan was all that interesting, but I suppose I'll learn something more about him - other than his controversial move from acoustic to electric in 1965

Also, who in the world could possibly play Dylan? Nobody in the world looks like him, other than his own children, but even they don't emcompass the incredible look this man/boy had in 1963.
I guess since it's a documentary they don't need anyone to play him.
Old 06-02-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by movielib
I guess since it's a documentary they don't need anyone to play him.
Doh-h!
Old 06-02-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=294200