Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question About SUPERMAN (1978)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-02-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, this has bugged me for a while: just what exactly was supposed to have happened at the end of Superman? Superman is upset about Lois Lane, so he... flies around the world really really fast, makes the earth spin backwards on it's axis (?) and somehow makes time go backwards? Huh?

Was there ever even an attempt to somehow put a scientific spin (no pun intended) on this idea? Does anyone have any quasi-plausible explanation on what the heck happened here?
Old 06-02-03, 09:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There's no scientific basis behind this at all.
Old 06-02-03, 10:00 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Nope - your assumptions are right. Superman reversed the Earth's spin - thus making time go backwards and not meant to be scientifically analyzed.

Richard Donner talks about this briefly in the commentary.

Last edited by Geofferson; 06-02-03 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-02-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Geofferson -- okey-doke, but what did Donner say??? How could he possibly throw something that implausible, that deus ex machina into the movie and not try to bolster his case in some way?
Old 06-02-03, 10:10 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by ncmojo
Geofferson -- okey-doke, but what did Donner say??? How could he possibly throw something that implausible, that deus ex machina into the movie and not try to bolster his case in some way?
He just made a brief comment that we, the viewers, are to believe that reversing the earth's spin will reverse time as well. I think he also said something about since it's based on a comic book, that the viewers might be required to use their imagination.

I just wish he'd explain why Superman's cape flaps in space - where there is no air.
Old 06-02-03, 10:32 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman 4 confuses me even more, how does the woman breath when she's kidnapped into space?
Old 06-02-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I am not mistaken, Superman was not supposed to end that way. It was supposed to be more of a serial ending with one of the nukes releasing Zod and crew. I believe the time shifting thing was supposed to happen in the 2nd movie, but I am not sure at this point...but I am not sure.
Old 06-02-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
And if someone does provide an explanation, be sure to let me know why: (A) Once time is reversed Lois Lane's car no longer falls into a big crack in the Earth. And, (B) Why Superman doesn't run into the Superman of the past from seven minutes ago.

Last edited by rennervision; 06-02-03 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-02-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
If I am not mistaken, Superman was not supposed to end that way. It was supposed to be more of a serial ending with one of the nukes releasing Zod and crew. I believe the time shifting thing was supposed to happen in the 2nd movie, but I am not sure at this point...but I am not sure.
Yep. This was the original pitch. 1 was supposed to have a sort of cliffhanger ending and the saving Lois thing would happen in 2.
Old 06-02-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They also expect us to not think about the physical devastation that would be caused by reversing the Earth's spin. That's like in the story of the "sun standing still" (i.e. the Earth stops rotating) in the biblical story of Joshua and the Battle of Jericho.

Of course in the Joshua case we are supposed to believe it was a miracle, and not that the story was written by an ancient prescientific myth monger who had no conception of what the sun standing still in the sky would mean to the Earth.
Old 06-02-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was just a way to make Superman seem more 'Super'. They gave him extra powers in part 2 as well. Teleporting and the seran-wrap logo thing. Never heard of those powers before or after. They had to save Lois in part one because it was a family film and needed a happy ending. Not very happy with a dead Lois is it? Yes, the changing the timeline was just a big plot hole they didn't bother with. On the same note, apparently Superman doesn't give a crap about the other 1000's of people that must have been hurt or died in the quake/nuke explosion. He could have went back a few more minutes and prevented the bomb from going off in the first place.
Old 06-02-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's only one semi-valid way to rationalize the ending of Superman, and that still has its problems, just not as many.

I view it as not that Superman is causing the Earth to reverse its rotation. I see it as Superman flying faster than the speed of light, thereby travelling back in time himself. As he goes back in time, of course he sees things moving backward.

Why then is he orbiting the Earth, you ask? Two reasons:
1) If he just went off in a straight line, he'd be really far away (duh)
2) by observing the reversal of time on Earth, he can gage when to stop.

Problems with this theory:
1) Why does he have to kick start Earth back into its original rotation (Maybe he overshot his mark )?
2) The usual time-travel stuff about meeting yourself, etc.
Old 06-02-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by resinrats
He could have went back a few more minutes and prevented the bomb from going off in the first place.
[Jor-El]"It is forbidden for you to interfere in human history...it is forbidden...forbidden...forbidden[/Jor-El]

I think he was feeling guilty enough about the interference he had chosen to do, let alone do what you propose. Technically, he could pull the time-reverse trick anytime anything bad EVER happened, but his charter of non-interference precludes him from using his powers to that extreme. This time was an exception for a very personal (read: selfish) reason.
Old 06-02-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Isn't it interesting how when you see this movie as a kid, for some reason you fully accept what just happened. But now that I'm an adult and I think about it, I say to myself, "Yeah, you're right. That DOESN'T make any sense!" So maybe I need to reverse time and ask my younger self for the explanation.
Old 06-02-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rennervision
Isn't it interesting how when you see this movie as a kid, for some reason you fully accept what just happened. But now that I'm an adult and I think about it, I say to myself, "Yeah, you're right. That DOESN'T make any sense!" So maybe I need to reverse time and ask my younger self for the explanation.
I was ten yearls old when this film was released. A bit precocious, to be sure, but even to my less-than-jaded eyes, I could not fathom how Superman was supposed to be able to reverse time by making the Earth spin backwards. And I also thought of that whole "why didn't he just make it go back a few hours more and stop the bomb entirely" quandry. So Superman appeases his guilt at reversing the course of human events just because his girlfriend dies by casually shrugging off the deaths of thousands upon thousands of innocents?

"Wow. You sure are a mean drunk, Superman."
Old 06-02-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess if it didn't work, Superman could always have hijacked the Starship Enterprise and warped around the sun.
Old 06-02-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Question About SUPERMAN (1978)

OK, this has bugged me for a while: just what exactly was supposed to have happened at the end of Superman? Superman is upset about Lois Lane, so he... flies around the world really really fast, makes the earth spin backwards on it's axis (?) and somehow makes time go backwards? Huh?

Was there ever even an attempt to somehow put a scientific spin (no pun intended) on this idea? Does anyone have any quasi-plausible explanation on what the heck happened here?
OK, there's a guy FLYING, moving faster than the speed of light, actually reverses the Earth's rotation... and the fact that he makes time move backward causes you problems with believability?
Old 06-02-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
I view it as not that Superman is causing the Earth to reverse its rotation. I see it as Superman flying faster than the speed of light, thereby travelling back in time himself. As he goes back in time, of course he sees things moving backward.
This is the way I've always seen it too (even the "overshot his mark" part ).
Old 06-02-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i always kind of accepted it as metaphor.
in the third act of the movie he has to struggle to catch up with the hackensack missile.
it's only after he has held Lois's lifeless body that the rage and passion inside gives him the strength to defy the laws of time and space.
as a kid i was too much caught up in the emotion of hte events to say- hey wait- everyone knows you can't go back in time by reversing the earth...you need a machine for that.

because i have such a love for the film, i can use my imagination to look past what for some may be a major weak case of Deus Ex Machina.
he was traveling back in time, and then had to get himself in the right timeframe-to re enter the timeline.
the movie is above all fantasy and not science fiction.
Old 06-02-03, 07:31 PM

A super-wizard did it!
Old 06-02-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I guess if it didn't work, Superman could always have hijacked the Starship Enterprise and warped around the sun.
I can see it now:

Star Trek 11: The Wrath of Kent
Old 06-02-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Question About SUPERMAN (1978)

Originally posted by DeputyDave
OK, there's a guy FLYING, moving faster than the speed of light, actually reverses the Earth's rotation... and the fact that he makes time move backward causes you problems with believability?
That's true.

I remember watching Babe with my girlfriend at the time, and the animals did some little stunt that went perfectly and she says, "Yeah, right" I say, "But the talking animals isn't a problem, huh?"

It's funny how we focus on certain things while forgiving much, much greater things.
Old 06-03-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Re: Re: Question About SUPERMAN (1978)

Originally posted by DeputyDave
Ding-Ding-Ding, we have a winnah!!
Old 06-03-03, 07:14 AM

It's a comic book! Implausible is normal there!
Old 06-03-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
It was just a way to make Superman seem more 'Super'. They gave him extra powers in part 2 as well. Teleporting and the seran-wrap logo thing. Never heard of those powers before or after.

I always thought the "Teleporting Thing" was to indicate the effect of Supes, Zod and Co. moving at super speed. But then, there's no way to explain how Supes was still able to talk to Lois.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.