Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

All hypocrites Unite! Actors you despise but like some of their movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well according to Rocky Stallone, I am a hypocrite. I hate Stallone's acting but liked First Blood, Copland and Rocky. I also hate Richard Gere's acting but liked Red Corner, and Primal Fear.

So lets see how many hypocrites we can get into one thread.
Old 06-01-03, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None. If you hate an actors acting, you don't like his or her's movies at all period.

It doesn't make any sense at all when someone says they hate an actors acting but they like some of their films, I know they are lying, when they hate an actors acting when they like some of their movies. That means they don't mind watching them.

This thread is going to get closed. This thread will turn into flaming pretty quickly. Nice way to start a flame war.
Old 06-01-03, 11:08 AM
Banned

For example, I hate Tom Green and I don't like any of his movies. I hate Adam Sandler and I don't like any of his movies. When you hate an actors acting that means you don't enjoy any of their movies at all. That don't make you a hypocrite.
Old 06-01-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see why it should be closed. It seems to me to be a pretty interesting topic.

My contributions...

Costner
Hanks
Kilmer

I don't hate their actual acting so much, it's just that I'm prejudiced in that whenever I see they're in a new movie, I have a very likely unjustified knee-jerk expectation of a rehash of a previous performance. Costner's the worst - he plays the same character in every movie, but some of his movies are damn good.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 06-01-03 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-01-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate julia roberts, but love her in pretty woman. That's before she became the whore
Old 06-01-03, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
None. If you hate an actors acting, you don't like his or her's movies at all period.

It doesn't make any sense at all when someone says they hate an actors acting but they like some of their films, I know they are lying, when they hate an actors acting when they like some of their movies. That means they don't mind watching them.

This thread is going to get closed. This thread will turn into flaming pretty quickly. Nice way to start a flame war.
???????????????

Anyways,

Another couple actors:

Bruce Willis
Patrick Swayze
Old 06-01-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate Al Pacino, yet I love The Godfather and The Godfather Part II
Old 06-01-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Anyone agree with Rocky_Stallone's assertion that "If you hate an actors acting, you don't like his or her's movies at all period"? Anyone?
Old 06-01-03, 11:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I second Stallone. He's a terrible actor, but he's been in a few good films, and even written one great film: Rocky.

I don't like Keanu Reeves, but I like The Matrix, Dangerous Liasons, Much Ado About Nothing, and a few more he's done.

There are several more as well. Movies are more than just the acting, Rocky. Some of us go for other things: screenwriting, directing, cinematography, etc.
Old 06-01-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I really don't like Bill Paxton, but A Simple Plan and Frailty are really great movies that I enjoy.

I guess some people are able to see a movie as a whole, and not hate a it just because of one bad detail.
Old 06-01-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I really hate Adam Sandler, but I like Big Daddy and Mr. Deeds. I know hardcore Sandlerite will say these are his worst, but despite his presence in them I still liked them.

Not a big Clooney fan, but I enjoyed Ocean's 11.
Old 06-01-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by William Fuld
Anyone agree with Rocky_Stallone's assertion that "If you hate an actors acting, you don't like his or her's movies at all period"? Anyone?
No.

I absolutely hate Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, but I think Good Will Hunting is an excellent movie.

Damon's been in a long of other stuff that I actually like (Rounders, Bourne Identity, for instance), but I still really dislike him.

So it goes.
Old 06-01-03, 12:47 PM

I think Tim Robbins is a nut and would love to ignore is work but The Shawshank Redemption of one of my all time favorite films.
Old 06-01-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
It doesn't make you a hypocrite.

There is more to a film than just one person's acting.

I absolutely hate Adam Sandler (as an actor), but thought he was very good in Punch-Drunk Love and thought the film was incredible.

I'm not a huge Richard Gere fan, but I absolutely loved Days of Heaven, and liked Chicago.

Films are an artform - applying a set formula to why you like or dislike a film is what makes you a hypocrite.
Old 06-01-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Affleck!

But it's hard for me not to like:

Chasing Amy
Dazed and Confused
Daredevil
Dogma
Good Will Hunting
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Mallrats
Old 06-01-03, 01:07 PM

I hate Kevin Kline but I still like A Fish Called Wanda, I strongly disagree with the notion that you can't enjoy a movie that has an actor you don't like

another example, I despise Kristy Allie but I really enjoyed Madhouse, and Drop Dead Gorgeous, which coincidently includes Kirsten Dunst who I also hate, but is also in Spiderman which I liked
Old 06-01-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Ben Affleck like so many other people, yet I love the movie Dogma.

I seriously hate Julia Roberts with an unholy passion, but enjoyed the movie Hook.

I cannot STAND Ben Stiller, but I thought Zoolander was a fun flick.

I don't like Cameron Diaz. She's complete trailer trash icky. Come to think of it, I don't like any of her movies, either.
Old 06-01-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Timecop - even though I wince every time Jean Claude does the splits I liked enough of the movie to buy a copy.

One of those guilty pleasure movies.

Kick 'em Jean!!
Old 06-01-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was Rocky_Stallone really suspended? I could see why, frankly, but it would be much to my chagrin. I really enjoy reading his threads and his posts... and then reading the responses to his posts... really, the entertainment value of DVDTalk has just slipped down a few points, IMO.

But ah well.

Just to be on the record... Rocky was full of ***** on this one. Of course you can despise an actor and still enjoy a film featuring that actor. I loathe Keanu Reeves, but tremendously enjoyed both Matrix flicks. I can't stand Tom Arnold, but who here didn't like True Lies?

And some actors start out likeable and then develop into major a-holes. Steven Seagall made a very good impression in Under Siege but now he is unwatchable.

And yes, Sylvester Stallone certainly fits the bill as well. He was bearable in Rocky and Rambo, but then it all went straight to hell.
Old 06-01-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The aforementioned Costner is a good choice. The Untouchables, Field of Dreams, and JFK are all good movies in spite of him playing the same dorky character (himself?).

Also, I'm generally not a big fan of Russell Crowe, but The Insider and L.A. Confidential are two great films.

And I somewhat enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Man Who Knew Too Little, in spite of the fact that Alfred Molina had supporting roles in both. Smug bastard.

I'm such a hypocrite.
Old 06-01-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. It's possible to hate an actor/actress and like his/her acting.

2. It's possible to hate an acting performance in a movie but yet like the actor/actress overall.

3. It's possible to like an acting performance in one movie and hate it in another.

I don't really buy into this "all or nothing" 'tude. There's very few actors/actresses that I can say that I enjoy ALL of the movies they ever did. Same goes for directors and other members of the crew.

hypocrite - n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that they do not hold
Old 06-01-03, 03:18 PM

I want to see a movie in which Kevin Bacon, Richard Gere and Keanu Reeves get repeatedly offed! Some sort of big budget slasher film I suppose. Oh yeah, and throw Kevin "the ego" Spacey in there as well.

OOOh! and why not include the entire Sheen (including Emilio)and Baldwin families to boot, perhaps some sort of Hatfield vs McCoys scenario?

Last edited by rushmore223; 06-01-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hate Hugh Grant but loved About a Boy~
Old 06-01-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't try to find "logic" in this ... there is none ... just play along ...

I think Shaq is a horrible actor, but I enjoyed Blue Chips.

I don't think Lennox Lewis is a good actor, and yet I enjoyed the remake of Ocean's Eleven.

Huey Lewis can't act (neither can Spielberg), but Back to the Future is one of my favories adventure comedies.

Oliver Stone, Roman Polanski, Alfred Hitchcock, Stephen King ... horrible actors ... brilliant films.

Hypocrite and proud.

das
Old 06-01-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate Jennifer Lopez, but I still love Out of Sight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.