Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney remaking their animated classics in CGI; help stop them before it's too late!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney remaking their animated classics in CGI; help stop them before it's too late!!

Old 05-31-03, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone's love affair with computer animation has gone too far - Disney is planning on remaking the classics in CGI. Reportedly, Pinocchio and Peter Pan are up first for shot-by-shot CGI redos "for a new generation to enjoy." This is not a rumor. I repeat, THIS IS NOT A RUMOR. In the recentNewsweek article says that "Eisner wants to extend the lives of Disney’s older characters by reanimating some classics for a new look. Imagine a 3-D Peter Pan soaring over a digitized London". Reportedly, this is referring to talks with top Disney talent in the past days.

It's time to stop this insanity, and I can only pray that if we show Disney what a huge mistake they are making we can end this before it gets any worse than it already is. Cheapquels I can live with. I can even take the occasional sub-par animated classic because nobody save Pixar is perfect. I've been trying to comprehend the recent shift to CGI in Disney's newest pipeline of projects. But this is too much for me to handle.

These are the names and addresses of the Walt Disney Company Board of Directors. I urge every single person on this board who cares at all about the future of Disney's animated properties to write to one or more of them. Ask friends, family, and coworkers to do the same. Those of us, myself included, who have delt with Disney in the past know that emails have seldom worked, so let['s use more traditional methods and pray that the snail isn't too terribly slow when we need him. If anyone can find company phone numbers, please call. It's going to take a huge effort to stop this - are you willing to give that effort? I am.

Here are the addresses courtesy the LaughingPlace.com forums.

Ms. Reveta F. Bowers
Head of School
Center for Early Education
563 North Alfred St.
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Mr. Robert F. Matschullat
Director
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. John E. Bryson
CEO
Edison International
2244 Walnut Grove Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770

The Hon. George J. Mitchell, Senator (Ret.)
Partner
Piper Rudnick, LLP
901 Fifteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20005-2301

Mr. Roy E. Disney
Vice Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Thomas S. Murphy
Director
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Dr. Leo J. O’Donovan
Director
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Ms. Judith L. Estrin
President/CEO
Packet Design, LLC
3400 Hillview Ave., Building 3
Palo Alto, CA 94304

Mr. Sidney Poitier
CEO
Verdon-Cedric Productions, Ltd.
9350 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 303
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Mr. Robert A.M. Stern
Senior Partner
Robert A.M. Stern Architects
460 West 34th St.
New York, NY 10001

Mr. Stanley P. Gold
President/CEO
Shamrock Holdings, Inc.
4444 Lakeside Dr.
Burbank, CA 91505

Mr. Raymond L. Watson
Vice President
The Irvine Company
550 Newport Center Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92658

Ms. Monica C. Lozano
President/CEO
La Opinion
411 W. Fifth St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Ms. Andrea L. Van de Kamp
Chairman
Sotheby’s West Coast
9665 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Mr. Gary L. Wilson
Chairman
Northwest Airlines Corporation
2700 Lone Oak Parkway
Eagan, MN 55121

Mr. Michael D. Eisner
Chairman and CEO
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Robert A. Iger
President and COO
The Walt Disney Company

Let me take this moment to thank each and every person who helps this cause. Together WE CAN make a difference and stop this nightmare before it's too late.

Thank You All.

-Jake
Old 06-01-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Michael Eisner really needs to go..
Old 06-01-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't really thought about it very much. My mind is still open to be changed. But at first thought, I don't have a problem with it, as long as the original versions are still available.
Old 06-01-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess it doesn't bother me. We still have the classics. I have no problem what they do with them. If they suck, I won't watch them. If they turn out good, I will.
Old 06-01-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't personally have a problem with it -- provided they still make the originals available. If you like the originals, then watch those. If you like the updated CG stuff, watch that.

I know it's blasphemy to say it around here, but I don't even have a problem with the Star Wars 'remakes' other than the fact that George Lucas trashed the original reels to make them.

I don't understand where remaking a movie trashes the original.
Old 06-01-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
right...no problem.

until they decide that it's cheaper/more cost efficient to CGI old flicks instead of coming up with NEW ones...

especially if this "idea" takes off and sells well...

why bother restoring the "animated classics" when we can CGI'em? let's make the window between the platinum releases even GREATER.

sorry. this bugs me.
Old 06-01-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like the original Disney money makers were original to begin with. I mean, most of them were simple retellings of public domain print media.

Personally, I like to see old movies remade, particularly if there is something new or novel about it.
Old 06-01-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

turning a book into a movie is one thing. Most movies start out as books (And the fact that Disney was the first to do full-length animated movies, WITH sound, and was the only one doing them for many years, is quite a feat)

Taking an old movie and redoing it shot by shot in another format is something completley different.
Old 06-01-03, 03:54 AM

Kind of sounds like the remake of Psycho
Old 06-01-03, 05:28 AM

Why do people so blindly hate CGI? It's mind boggling... ever since Episode 2 the word 'CGI' has some sort of evil thing to it. Who the hell cares if they're redoing some old movies in CG? If it turns out good, then whatever. Happy little kids. If it's bad, they'll be forgotten and we'll stick to the originals. I think it's not a bad idea that they're expanding their horizons and playing around with the CG stuff. They're just probably using the old films for this purpose, playing around and experimenting with the technology. If it's succesful, we'll see original works from them in due time.

The future of film is with CG. Accept it. Deny it and I'll call you ignorant.
Old 06-01-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I don't have problem with this.
Old 06-01-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Crack 6K
Why do people so blindly hate CGI? It's mind boggling... ever since Episode 2 the word 'CGI' has some sort of evil thing to it. Who the hell cares if they're redoing some old movies in CG? If it turns out good, then whatever. Happy little kids. If it's bad, they'll be forgotten and we'll stick to the originals. I think it's not a bad idea that they're expanding their horizons and playing around with the CG stuff. They're just probably using the old films for this purpose, playing around and experimenting with the technology. If it's succesful, we'll see original works from them in due time.

The future of film is with CG. Accept it. Deny it and I'll call you ignorant.

I agree. great post
Old 06-01-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand the adversion to remakes -- like the original is the one true telling of the story. Do you hate cover songs as well? When Disney takes a movie adapted from a book, like say, Alice in Wonderland or Jungle Book or Snow White or Cinderella or Pinocchio or Sleeping Beauty or The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin or Pocahontas or Hunchback of Notre Dame or Hercules, and then makes a nice little cartoon book adapted from the movie -- do you hate that too?
Old 06-01-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I'd be open to a remake of The Jungle Book. Maybe this time, they can use the actual story instead of raping it blindly and just keeping the names and locale the same.

At least I still have Sabu.
Old 06-01-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm pleased to see so many people not against this. I for one think it's an interesting idea. Especially since "Peter Pan" is up first (my favorite Disney animated movie). Everyone loves the Disney/Pixar films (it seems). I can't wait to see how some of my favorite Disney animated films will look in CGI. And like most said, as long as I have the originals. Bonus!
Old 06-01-03, 01:57 PM
Banned

I would love to se it done to 101 Dalmations, Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood. All these have that pencil sketch look where the characters have no sharp lines, but several lines appearing as they move. Always hated this when I 1st saw this in the 60's.
Old 06-01-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a scene-by-scene remake, does that mean the audio tracks will remain the same?
Old 06-01-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by BigPete
If it's a scene-by-scene remake, does that mean the audio tracks will remain the same?
That would be pretty neat, and I'd be for that (granted they dont put the originals away for good).
Old 06-01-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
I would love to se it done to 101 Dalmations, Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood. All these have that pencil sketch look where the characters have no sharp lines, but several lines appearing as they move. Always hated this when I 1st saw this in the 60's.
Agreed!!! I hated this era in Disney animation. The worst were "The Aristocats" and "Robin Hood" IMO.

Last edited by Daytripper; 06-01-03 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588

Michael Eisner really needs to go..
I've been hoping for that to happen for years based solely on Disney's dvd policies.
Old 06-01-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This reminds me of the debate over Ted Turner "colorizing" old B&W movies. Did the fact that they added color to Casablanca change the quality of the original? No. Did it mean that you could no longer get the original black and white version? No. And since the color version never really caught the public's fancy... these days you never even see anything other than the original.

Translation: if they do the CG covers well, and it makes money, you'll be able to buy both versions. If the CG covers bomb, then you will only be able to buy the oirginal.

As for weeping and moaning and rending of clothing over the death of traditional animation... what exactly is the attraction here? The image quality is much higher in a computer-animated film... the visual effects are far superior... and the artistry certainly remains securely in place. Why should we continue to do things that way we have always done them, just because that is the way we have always done them.
Old 06-01-03, 07:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If this is NOT a rumor, how about a link? Preferably to an established news source, not another forum or a blog.
Old 06-01-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow! I bet this was not the response Jake was expecting.

Actually, if I were to be honest I would have to say that it is tough for me to sit through Disney animated films pre-The Little Mermaid. As much as I wanted to like Snow White when it came out on DVD, I found it pretty boring and stale. I think the ones since TLM are much better. I know, I know. Blasphemy. I'm just trying to be honest. Whatever they could do to spice these old films up would be fine by me.

I would prefer that they simply re-make the films with a fresh take on the stories, new animation and new music rather than touch up the old ones but no matter what they do (other than nothing) it will enrage someone.
Old 06-01-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by moocher
Wow! I bet this was not the response Jake was expecting.
Nope. I think it is a decent idea. I have to agree that some of the pre TLM film seem dated and stale. They could use a re-working.

I do think they MUST stick to the original soundtrack and voice overs.
Old 06-02-03, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's all about the money

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.