Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why I loathe movie theaters even MORE!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why I loathe movie theaters even MORE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well considering that the average apartment comparable to an American apartment for $500 runs you about $120 in Thailand and the average engineer's starting salary is just over $10,000 when in the US it is around $45,000+. I don't really see why you decided to make this comparison.

It's like saying "I hate McDonald's because in Thailand I can get the same burger for 72 cents."

Comparable to their average salary they pay more to go to a movie than we do.

And ticket prices aren't that bad, stop comparing them to prices 10 years ago or even two years ago. Cars are a lot more than they use to be so I hate all dealerships. 8 bucks for a ticket is a pretty good hours of entertainment per dollar value when compared to many other activites.
Old 06-04-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
You should have picked a better example...Granted, many stars don't give much back to the lesser-paid workers on the set, but in the case of Keanu, word is he bought all the stuntmen on Matrix Reloaded brand-new Harley motorcycles for their work on the movie...that's pretty classy, if you ask me...
Word also is that he turned over all his back-end points for Reloaded to crew members, keeping only his salary. Granted, he hardly made scale, but it's still nice to see some people who are generous with their money and reward the other workmen who make it all happen.
Old 06-04-03, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Spooky
You should have picked a better example. Keanu Reeves took a big pay cut to make sure the sequels were made, instead opting for a back-end deal (giving him a cut of the profits). That $200 million that Keanu stands to make is money the studio would have made from the movie. Even if that weren't the case, any up-front money is also from the studio. It's not like that money is coming out of your pocket or the pockets of others working on the film. The studios make billions per year, so it's only right that the money go back to the talent involved in movies that make them billons per year. It's the same reason why sports players get millions per year - because the companies they work for are making tons of money off their name. Granted, many stars don't give much back to the lesser-paid workers on the set, but in the case of Keanu, word is he bought all the stuntmen on Matrix Reloaded brand-new Harley motorcycles for their work on the movie...that's pretty classy, if you ask me.

Studios probably love it when fans say that talent should be paid less...that means more millions for their pockets, since they are the ones who pay the stars to begin with.

I guess I dont consider that a bad example as it is not like Keanu was taking any kind of big risk there. Even if both of them only pulled in 100 million total(the same the original Matrix did just about) then he still would have made 15 million. I dont think he has seen 7.5 million on a picture before. Now, you want to talk about someone who gambled and got their money, then talk about James Cameron with Titanic. He took no pay at all and even forked over some money himself. Not to mention at least he was actually part of the creative process(and, no, I wouldnt call Titanic creative).

And I am for an across the board cut on all income for eveyone involved in a movie except the actual workers. Even though the actors arent taking in the brunt of the gross, I think that their high salaries allow the execs to command even higher salaries for themselves and they get to justify other expenses.

Anyway...its all ridiculous
Old 06-04-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don’t understand all the whining about the cost of movie tickets. Even at NYC prices, a movie works out to about $5.00 per hour. Compared to the price of concert tickets, a play, a sporting event, golf, or just about any other form of entertainment movies are a major bargain. What else can one do for $5.00 per hour? Where I live even playing pool costs about $6.00 per hour, per person.

WRT actors’ salaries, I suppose those of you complaining, routinely turn down pay hikes since they in turn drive up the cost of services and products offered by your respective employers. I applaud your altruism.
Old 06-04-03, 04:15 PM
Banned

It pays to know someone who works at a movie theater.
Old 06-04-03, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by audrey
I don’t understand all the whining about the cost of movie tickets. Even at NYC prices, a movie works out to about $5.00 per hour. Compared to the price of concert tickets, a play, a sporting event, golf, or just about any other form of entertainment movies are a major bargain. What else can one do for $5.00 per hour? Where I live even playing pool costs about $6.00 per hour, per person.

WRT actors’ salaries, I suppose those of you complaining, routinely turn down pay hikes since they in turn drive up the cost of services and products offered by your respective employers. I applaud your altruism.

No, actually I turned down my last $200 million dollar raise.
Old 06-05-03, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by FalconH10
And ticket prices aren't that bad, stop comparing them to prices 10 years ago or even two years ago. Cars are a lot more than they use to be so I hate all dealerships. 8 bucks for a ticket is a pretty good hours of entertainment per dollar value when compared to many other activites.
Arent that bad? Nonsense - it's 8 bucks for an early show, 10 bucks MINIMUM for a late show around here. Why should I go to the theater when for another 5 bucks I get to keep the movie forever, watch it without jackasses talking on their C-phones or kicking my seat, or getting raped at the concession stand?
Old 06-05-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Compared to the price of concert tickets, a play, a sporting event, golf, or just about any other form of entertainment movies are a major bargain.
You are going to see a live event that is unique in that that performance will never be repeated and depends on interactions between live people - players, actors, etc.

Movies are mass produced and are not live. There is a big difference
Old 06-05-03, 10:16 AM

Arent that bad? Nonsense - it's 8 bucks for an early show, 10 bucks MINIMUM for a late show around here. Why should I go to the theater when for another 5 bucks I get to keep the movie forever, watch it without jackasses talking on their C-phones or kicking my seat, or getting raped at the concession stand?
You seem to be forgetting to add in the costs of a great stereo system, nice big screen TV, and a DVD player. You get to keep the movie for 5 bucks more but you don't get to watch it. If you think the prices are insane then don't go, although if everyone decided to do this the prices would continue to go up. If you don't like crowds or going out then obviously a movie theatre isn't for you. Also the concession stands are similarly priced to those of a ballpark or arena.
Old 06-05-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chanster
You are going to see a live event that is unique in that that performance will never be repeated and depends on interactions between live people - players, actors, etc.

Movies are mass produced and are not live. There is a big difference
Of course movies and live events are not the same. And that's one of the reasons that movie ticket prices are cheap. Honestly, what else can you do for $5 an hour--there just aren't that many options.