Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If you made Jurassic Park IV, how would you improve on the series

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

If you made Jurassic Park IV, how would you improve on the series

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got it!

Jet Li vs. Dinosaurs... Just imagine hand-to-hand combat with a Raptor. Or chopping up T-Rex with his flying swordsman manuevers. ;-)

Throw in a hot babe or three for him to protect.

Have the only kid eaten in the first five minutes.
Old 05-29-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about this.....

When they were creating the dinosaurs there was one mad researcher (working in the basement of the science building) who created a half human half raptor creature. Oh and it can communicate with humans (just Portugese though) and the dinosaurs (except for the pachycephalosaurus) . This creature then builds a time machine (out of an old hyundai) so it can travel back in time so he can find out what made the creatures extinct. We he gets there, he finds out martians were killing off the dinosaurs. The half human half raptor then leads the dinosaurs against the aliens. The movie ends with the dinos winning and the history of earth changing forever.

Oh yeah. The martians are hot chicks, like the kind Captain Kirk would find in the middle of outer space.

Last edited by Mazinger; 05-29-03 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 02:00 PM

I've got the perfect story pitch for the 4th one :

Act 1 :

The US government wants to destroy dino island but some crazy liberals want to save them as they are an endangered species.

Then comes Sly Stallone, a divorced cop with an adoptive kid who is asked to go by himself on the island to destroy the creatures. His kid won't go to his karate lessons as he thinks they are boring and not useful at all. But, Sly forces him, making the kid angry at his dad. Sly decides to go on the mission.

Act 2 :

Stallone is flown to the island. A flying dino destroys his chopper but he manages to have a couple of branches slowing his fall. He then starts on a frenzy shoot'em all action.

Then it goes on for an hour or so of dino shootings.

Meanwhile, in the states, some liberal freaks from a secret organization kidnap Sly Jr. on his way home from karate school and bring him on the island.

Act 3 :

In a terrible face down, the liberal leader mounted on his pet T-rex menaces to throw the kid in the jaws of the monster if Sly doesn't surrender. The kid then uses his karate knowledge to kick the bad liberal man in the dino's mouth but in the motion, he is dragged with him. Sly shoots T-rex between the eyes and makes a sly pun about it before rescuing his son just as the navy gets there. "Clean this up boys! I've got a family to take care of" he says before leaving in another helicopter with his son.

Roll credits!

The end.
Old 05-29-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Originally posted by Mazinger
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
I like the idea of having the dinos running amok on some South American coastal village. A lot of villagers being dragged off onto the jungle by unknown monsters to start, then the dinos get more brave and start entering the village itself finally revealing themselves as the mythical dinos all the villagers had heard stories about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be nice if it was the first movie, but like someone has posted before, we've already seen the dinosaurs F/X. As a viewer there wouldn't be too much suspense, excitement, etc... when the monsters show up.
OK, I agree that my idea would have worked best as a first installment before we ever saw any dinos. But the consensus around here is that the first JP is the best of the series, so why not try to recapture that? True, we the audience have seen the dinosaurs before but the poor unsuspecting villagers haven't.

I guess it all depends on the kind of movie we want this to be:
1. Lots of special effects, lots of dinosaurs, introduce bigger and meaner dinos, have the characters run like mad for an hour and a half, end movie.

or
2. suspenseful (if done right) special effects come secondary to the story, man against an unknown force, only see glimpses of the dinos for the first 2/3 of the movie (ie. Jaws and JP1).

I'm not saying either one is better just different.
Old 05-29-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
OK, I agree that my idea would have worked best as a first installment before we ever saw any dinos. But the consensus around here is that the first JP is the best of the series, so why not try to recapture that? True, we the audience have seen the dinosaurs before but the poor unsuspecting villagers haven't.

I guess it all depends on the kind of movie we want this to be:
1. Lots of special effects, lots of dinosaurs, introduce bigger and meaner dinos, have the characters run like mad for an hour and a half, end movie.

or
2. suspenseful (if done right) special effects come secondary to the story, man against an unknown force, only see glimpses of the dinos for the first 2/3 of the movie (ie. Jaws and JP1).

I'm not saying either one is better just different.
I'm not saying your story is bad at all. It's actually very interesting. I'm a big suspense/thriller watcher.
Old 05-29-03, 03:32 PM

I would have talking dinosaurs find an island full of dangerous humans that someone's been breeding.
Old 05-29-03, 03:37 PM
oop

I think they should stop with the lose-all-your-high-tech-equipement-in-the-first-10-minutes-then-spend-the-rest-of-the-movie-just-running-and-screaming BS

and stop portraying the raptors as cunning geniouses all the time.

and bring bigger guns, ya.
Old 05-29-03, 03:38 PM

Actually, after reading these posts, the only thing I think a director can do to shock us is to make the dinosaurs out of muppets. At least it would help the budget
Old 05-29-03, 04:23 PM
Banned

It's too late, but I would love to see a remake of THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT with these effects.
Old 05-29-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JP4: The efficently short version:

We fade in on an island seemingly inhabited by no one.
We hold on the establishing shot of the beach for a few beats of silence except for the sounds of the ocean.
Slowly we drop in distant voices of children laughing and playing.
Soon the voices grow louder.

We cut to:

Scores of children laughing, jumping and playing on the beach.
They are all having a good time.
Suddenly out of nowhere, we cut to a series of reveal shots:

A massive herd of t-rex's storming the beach stomping away.

Out of the ocean, what appears to be sea monsters making their way to shore looking mightily hungry.

And finally flocks of teradactyls swooping in and picking up children at random and then dropping them.

The beasts soon retreat.
We cut around to reveal the damage.

We slowly pan to the clear blue sky above. We hold on that shot and listen to the sounds of the beach. The crash of the waves sounds soothing.

After a few beats: Fade to black.

FIN.
Old 05-29-03, 10:20 PM
Banned

They need to make it ALIENS style. Simple storyline: Marines are sent to the island to eradicate the dinosaurs. There are way more dinos than they expected. Running low on ammo, fellow marines going down every few minutes, one hero must risk everything in order to make it out alive. The dinosaurs are the bad guys, they are hideous killing machines no longer cute attraction-quality animals.
Old 05-30-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should do something with the DNA the bad guy stole in the first movie. It was buried in the mud after he was attacked. They should have a scientist go back to the first island to do research on exactly what went wrong, and find it. Being curious, he does some tests on the DNA and makes a dino, but since he doesn't have frog (or whatever) DNA like they originally used, he uses his own. That's how you can get the human/dino hybrid...more dino then human though. You would end up with a smart, bad-ass dino that could send an S.O.S to the Coast Guard. When they get there, he wipes most of them out, and forces the rest to take him back to the mainland, where he finds the remaining dinos that took off in the other movies. He comes up with a plan to take over the continent, one villiage at a time. He succeeds...and is now king of Dinotopia.
Old 05-30-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
How about men v.s. the dinos. Instead of us getting chased, how about we start to hunt them down in hopes of wiping them all out.

Jurassic Park IV, The War Begins
Old 06-03-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was able to find a post I made somewhere online directly after I saw JP3:

Believe when I say I'm a JP fan. I love the idea of dinosaurs roaming the earth and interacting with humans. They are creatures that we never have seen face to face under any circumstances, so our infactuation with them is reasonable, which makes it great. One more thing...I just want to say that I went into this movie extremely excited about it. I was happy Dr.Grant returned, also. I didn't expect JP3 to surpass JP1, but from the trailers I thought it looked thrilling. Here's what I think after the end credits faded to black on JP3....
We all know the storyline is lacking. That's fine. Let's be honest, we all came to see dinosaurs roar and chase humans. Period. I can forgive them for a lack of a "good" script for the third installment.

However I cannot forgive quite a few things. First off, it didn't truly seem like a movie to me, but rather a big, random theme park ride. It felt like the director was saying "I don't have a script, and there's nothing fresh I can come up with, so I'll throw in dino after dino." It was just TOO much. First they encounter the spino, they crash land, spino attacks the remains of the plane, they run from spino into the territory of a T-Rex, there's a T-Rex/Spino fight, etc. It was just a barrage of dino's thrown all over the place. Believe me, I love action, but this was almost ridiculous.

Another thing that annoyed me was the lack of the T-Rex. The T-rex is the dinosaur villain/hero that everyone has grown up with. And once presented on screen, it was amazing to see him. Part of the reason was because it was real to you in mind and size. (I knew that there were Spino fossils uncovered at some point, but no one really KNOWS the Spino, or of him. Let's be honest, when we all think of "DINOSAURS" the first thing that pops into most of our minds is "THE T-Rex." Also, the Spino in this movie was just SO amazingly huge. I just felt he overwhelmed the presence of the human characters. It seemed like he was the "Godzilla" of the dino's. I have no doubt he existed, but it just felt like too much.)

But, quickly getting back to the T-Rex....he's the king [as we all know/knew] of the dinosaur kingdom. It would be like making a "Lion King 3" and having Simba get killed by a bigger, badder species of cat. It's almost sacrilegious. *I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on what I said here.*

Another thing I wasn't too happy about was
the number of dinosaurs in the film. Does anyone else think there were simply TOO many? There was a Spino, a T-rex, Raptors, Allo-saurus, Compies, Brachi(long neck), the Stegosaurus (in background), the dino's that were in the herd, that dino that had the "armor" on his body (forgot the name, sorry), Pteradactyls, etc. I mean, seriously, do we need all this? I think they should have limited it, and just given three of four species of dino's MUCH MORE SCREEN TIME. Maybe chased by a Spino, T-Rex, a pack of raptors, and an encounter with one more dino. It just got to the point where you heard the scary music coming on and I'm thinking, "Oh, what could it POSSIBLY be now?" ...Whereas it seemed like we cared about the characters in the first two movies more because due to the lack of dinosaurs, we believed that the ones we DID see were extremely terrifying and dangerous. Let's face it, the dinosaurs are the stars of the movie. They should be treated like it. It's like if you put too many movie (human) stars in one movie. They all bring something different, but since there's so many they never get to develop a personality and simply "shine" screen. It becomes a jumbled mess.

I have a few more gripes, but I'll leave it at that for now. I'll let you all respond, and I'm anxious to feel your opinions on what I stated. Now don't get me wrong, I feel that there were a couple good points in JP3. Although this scene isn't action packed, I thought when the raptors caught up to the group (humans) and "demanded" their eggs back was a great scene. Though it ended unclimatically.
Old 06-03-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For starters, a story would be nice. Part three forgot to have one of those. Ok, besides the obvious "get a good script" stuff, I think these movies need to return to what only the first movie had...that sense of awe. Yes, we want to see dinos running around munching on people, but if you want us to buy these as dinosaurs today...we need that sense of awe mixed with the suspense and fear. Regarding the movies having kids, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have them. Sure most people hate kids in movies, myself many times, but who would better appreciate the awesome nature of a dinosaur than a child? This series has always had children as a major point, but it falters when the children are just badly written and performed. Lost World being the biggest offender. Though honestly from this point on there is no logical story reason to have children in the story. But these movies don't need to get darker...they need to retain that sense of adventure, not turn into a R rated gore fest or some deep rumniations on the concept of nature versus man. No, these movies need to be, first and foremost, a big fun adventure.
Old 06-03-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Simple: T-Rex shoots first....

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, how to improve the series....

T-Rex shoots first
Old 06-04-03, 02:20 PM

Need a new concept. I'd say have some parallel operation in Russia except for these scientist genetically enhance the Dinosaurs by mistake. Then you could have totally different Dinos and they could have really high IQs. That would make it more challenging to kill them.
Old 06-05-03, 01:53 AM
Banned

Have an island for U.S. street gang thugs who are sent there because they are too young for prison. So they are sent there for labor, but the island is inhabited by dinosours.
Now when someone gets eaten it's o.k. to cheer.
ANd the thugs who survive are reformed.
Old 06-05-03, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by wm lopez
Have an island for U.S. street gang thugs who are sent there because they are too young for prison. So they are sent there for labor, but the island is inhabited by dinosours.
Now when someone gets eaten it's o.k. to cheer.
ANd the thugs who survive are reformed.
Hey - now there's an idea! Battle Royale meets Jurassic Park! A class of schoolkids trying to kill each other off and survive while an army of T-Rexes hunts them. That would be the bomb!
Old 06-05-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Take a look at Dino Crisis 3 for the Xbox.. an action sci-fi game in space. That's how I'd do JP4. Sure, it makes little sense, but the possibility for a good action flick is there.

(Sort of like Aliens, except with Dinos..)
Old 06-06-03, 11:35 AM

Have the competing bioengineering company (that had surrepitiously hired Nedry) succeed in their own dino-breeding efforts...

Dramatic continuance: except a few escape (small ones, but carnivores) and a few locals and/or scientists/executives at the research lab disappear. Investigations are undertaken (a chance to tie in X-files agents? Nah, hoping for too much cool). As the cover-up is about to be exposed, regretful scientist or defiant executive manages to blow up/destroy/burn to ashes the entire lab. All IP is gone. Dinos escape, enhanced to breed like rabbits. Simple extermination a difficult option; authorities turn to InGen for knowledge of how to sterilize/neutralize the beasties. Byzantine bankruptcy proceedings and incompetent storage clerks have lost the original records -- so there's no option but to return to one of the two islands and open the records vaults (chief scientists have disappeared; maybe succumbed to a dino-borne virus?). We're off to Ilsa Sorna or Nublar again. Somehow the Goldblum character is dragged in, because he's far and away my favorite. Final outcome has most dinos deceased and the rest confined (for now) to a nature reserve, preferably somewhere like Mt. Hood, so there's a neighboring population of munchable humans for sequel potential. Huge fence/trench project added using CGI.

Silly continuance: dinos are bred for stealth and guile under contract to a black ops US government unit. Ninja dinos are dispatched to far east wasteland to ferret out terrorist leaders responsible for something or other bad. Snappy puns pepper script, with head bad guy ironically taken out just after complaining about lack of supplies and that he's dying for a bite.
Old 06-06-03, 02:24 PM

Dramatic continuance: except a few escape (small ones, but carnivores) and a few locals and/or scientists/executives at the research lab disappear. Investigations are undertaken (a chance to tie in X-files agents? Nah, hoping for too much cool). As the cover-up is about to be exposed, regretful scientist or defiant executive manages to blow up/destroy/burn to ashes the entire lab. All IP is gone. Dinos escape, enhanced to breed like rabbits. Simple extermination a difficult option; authorities turn to InGen for knowledge of how to sterilize/neutralize the beasties. Byzantine bankruptcy proceedings and incompetent storage clerks have lost the original records -- so there's no option but to return to one of the two islands and open the records vaults (chief scientists have disappeared; maybe succumbed to a dino-borne virus?). We're off to Ilsa Sorna or Nublar again. Somehow the Goldblum character is dragged in, because he's far and away my favorite. Final outcome has most dinos deceased and the rest confined (for now) to a nature reserve, preferably somewhere like Mt. Hood, so there's a neighboring population of munchable humans for sequel potential. Huge fence/trench project added using CGI.

Great idea!
Old 06-06-03, 04:26 PM
Banned

I loved JP3. T-rex my tail, we see him all the time. I've been waiting for some good Terhlydacthyl(sp) action, and we got it!
Old 06-06-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Whatever happened to the prequel talk? That is something I would like to see made. The beginnings of the island. The research and experimentation that went on. They said that there were anomalies. Have some cross breeds that roam free on the island. Have a first set of palentologists that Hammond hires to approve the first island(where all the dinos are made), they get killed obviously because there is no mention in the other movies of them. This way you have that sense of awe of the first movie, you are seeing the dinos again for the first time, where it all started. I'm sure someone could come up with something better along these lines though.

You have Hammond, you could have Nedry, Sam Jackson, and more screen time for Muldoon.
Old 06-07-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd have it start with the huge media scandal that would be around from the end of the second movie.

there are cries of outrage from the wrongness of messing with nature, and want the dinos to be destroyed. others, now that they exist, feel that is cruel and at the very least could provide alot of research info. a council is created and survivors of the islands are heard, this gives us some cameos of the past leads.

the out come of the council is that no more dinosuars should be created and they make it illegal to do any futher genetic stuff.
but they also realise the dinos can be valuable for science.

a special millitary task team is assembled; here with go with aliens. the team is supposed to guard the the researchers to extract the less lethal dinosuars, and to terminate any hostile dinosaurs met. the t-rex and other very dangerous dinosuars will be allowed to live out their lives on the island, which will not be blockacaded by the navy. of course the t-rex and other dinosaurs won't stay clear. other tasks including destroying eggs and any abbandoned technology or notes that could fall into the wrong hands and start the mess again.

the spec-ops team will be well trained and for the most part ass kickers not some bumbling fools.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.