Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Godzilla film this December in Japan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Yes, regular as clockwork, Toho will release another Godzilla film in Japan this December.
The tentative title is: Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS. This will be a direct sequel to last years Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, this time with Mothra thrown into the mix. So far there is just a teaser trailer showing in Japanese theatres with only footage from older films (as usual). Thought you kaiju fans would be interested.
Old 05-27-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Yeah I heard.... This is what prompted my post about Toho.
Old 05-27-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, now I understand you bitching about Toho just bringing back the same kaiju over and over and not being original. I thought the same thing about this one (what, Mothra again????). Putting Baragon in GMK was a step in the right direction but Toho realized that G films featuring the old classics made more money than ones introducing new monsters or featuring more obscure ones (GMK was originally supposed to feature Angirus and Varan instead of Mothra and Ghidora).
Old 05-27-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Doesn't Toho have a controlling interest in Daiei? If so, why not do a Godzilla v. Gamera movie?
Old 05-27-03, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwhat...what? New Godzilla? Mothera again? oh well...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-27-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My beef with Toho is that we'll never see this here in the U.S. unadulterated and without having to suck up to crappy bootlegs.

I love Toho product, hate Toho.
Old 05-28-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
Doesn't Toho have a controlling interest in Daiei? If so, why not do a Godzilla v. Gamera movie?
This is more or less true and there are rumours that such a film might be possible next year, for Godzilla's 50th anniversary (but not anywhere near confirmed). I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see such a pairing.
Old 05-28-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
Godzilla VS Gamera?

Bring it on!

Now, if only I could WATCH these movies. The Japanese versions without subtitles in English are pretty hard to follow.... I haven't seen any of them after Godzilla 2000.

ARE there any DVD's out there for these movies that are region free (or region 1) and have English subtitles? I haven't seen any....
Old 05-28-03, 09:01 AM
Banned

they should really throw some old monsters in there, Varan, that snake thing from Destory, maybe some more of Rodan....

how the hell is Mothera so popular? He/she bores me to death.
Old 05-28-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scot1458
how the hell is Mothera so popular? He/she bores me to death.
It's the Peanut twins.
Old 05-28-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by B5Erik
Godzilla VS Gamera?

Bring it on!

Now, if only I could WATCH these movies. The Japanese versions without subtitles in English are pretty hard to follow.... I haven't seen any of them after Godzilla 2000.

ARE there any DVD's out there for these movies that are region free (or region 1) and have English subtitles? I haven't seen any....
All of the region 2 discs from Japan are japanese language only

The last two G movies are available on Region 3 versions with english subs. Non-anamorphic widescreen, DD5.1 sound. They're supposed to be legitimate versions, not boots. If you have a region free player, you're all set.

Hopefully the new G v. MG will show up soon too.
Old 05-28-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B5Erik
As mentioned, there are the R3 discs of Godzilla X Megaguirus and GMK with English subs (legitimate HK releases) and supposedly Sony and Toho are working out the final details for US releases of the two films (hopefully they don't screw up the DVDs like they've done with some of their other Godzilla releases).
Old 05-28-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

i would love to see War of the Gargantuas re-made
Old 05-28-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also wish Toho would stick with one well thought out Godzilla look.

I here Godzilla now has no pupils and looks "evil" which isn't bad just kinda weird. Personally, I really liked the G-2000 look.

G-2000

Latest Godzilla

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-29-03 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
i would love to see War of the Gargantuas re-made
Me too.

And this is completely unsubstanciated at this point, but the Monster Zero website mentions something about Gaira (one of the "Gargantuas") possibly being somehow involved in this or maybe the next film. That would be cool if it happens!
Old 05-29-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with Giantrobo - However, most important with me is that Godzilla looks mean. I don't like the "friendly" look they created in some of the films.

Godzilla Wav

Here's an interesting Godzilla site Barry's Temple of Godzilla

Old 05-29-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved the G2000 redesign...the longer spikes on his back were a nice touch.
Old 05-29-03, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Vampyr
I agree with Giantrobo - However, most important with me is that Godzilla looks mean. I don't like the "friendly" look they created in some of the films.

Godzilla Wav

Here's an interesting Godzilla site Barry's Temple of Godzilla

Aaaah!!! Barry's Temple.

He doesn't update much but his site is cool. I've found several sites that show G's evolutions.

Godzilla went from a Mutant scourge in the '50's to a "friend of Earth and Kids" in the late 60's and 70's. Back in '84 when they brought him back he was "evil" again.

I do so HATE the "PEOPLE ARE DESTROYING EARTH MANTRA" Toho keeps farting out in G movies ....it's soo tired and lame.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-29-03 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Aaaah!!! Barry's Temple.

I do so HATE the "PEOPLE ARE DESTROYING EARTH MANTRA" Toho keeps farting out in G movies ....it's soo tired and lame.
I stopped for a few years after the "American was bad in WW2, Japan was good in WW2" propaganda back in Godzilla vs. Ghidora.

that physically made me sick.
Old 05-29-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This may be a little off the topic of a "new" Godzilla film in the works, but it seems like a good place to mention this.

I remember when I was very young and first saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters. He was in many ways terrifying to me. I can recall having thoughts of him attacking the place where I lived

These thoughts of a child’s imagination would include Godzilla missing my house with his foot, but coming back to get me, after realizing that he missed. Then the chase was on.........I actually had nightmares about it.

Looking back I think a lot of this had to do with how mean he looked. It wasn't only the teeth and the roar, but the eyes. Those eyes looked as evil as anything a kid of my age at the time could imagine.

In retrospect, it may have been frightening, but it was actually fun. Sometimes it's enjoyable to be scared by a movie when you're young. I now look back on those fears and nightmares with a kind of fondness

Now if only at 38 I can find a way to have a movie scare me just a bit.........That's most likely a thing of the past. At least I have the experiences to look back on.

Also, I'd like to comment on that original movie a bit more, with a small observation. I believe that for a movie to have such an impact on someone, like it did with me and so many other fans, it's a sign of something special.

Yes, it's not The Godfather or another movie in that caliber of films. However, that's not what it was meant to be. What Godzilla: King of the Monsters and the general concept represents, is something profoundly artistic in terms of it's genre.

As far as "new" Godzilla movies are concerned - I say, bring them on..........I laugh at the bad ones and like the good ones.....In any case I'm entertained