Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Takeshi Kitano is the new Zatoichi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I've just heard that Takeshi Kitano will be directing and starring in a new Zatoichi film (playing the famous blind swordsman himself). This could be very cool. Its due out in Japan this autumn.
I can't wait for this one myself, being a big fan of both Kitano and the Zatoichi films.

From the Daily Yomiuri on line site:
Kitano to take on 'Zatoichi'

Shogo Hagiwara Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer

The Zatoichi series of historical dramas about a blind swordsman named Ichi has long been associated with the actor Shintaro Katsu.

One of the greatest actors Japan has produced, Katsu--who fits no existing category of actor (his involvement in a series of scandals being one reason)--played Ichi so many times that his name is almost synonymous with that of the blind swordsman.

Precisely for this reason, nobody dared to risk making another Zatoichi movie after Katsu's death in 1997--at least, not until award-winning director Takeshi Kitano took on this difficult task. But Kitano said it's not that he wanted to do it. He was forced to.

The project came up over a meal he shared with Chieko Saito, the manager of Asakusa Rock-za, the Tokyo burlesque theater where Kitano launched his career. "She said she was going to ask me a favor, but that I'd have no choice but to do it whatever it was," Kitano said at last week's press conference, ahead of the start of filming.

"I didn't think it would be serious, but it turned out I had completely underestimated what she was going to say. She said she wanted to see 'Takeshi's Zatoichi.' As soon as I heard those words come out of her mouth, I shouted 'No way!' and 'That's too crazy to even joke about'...Zatoichi is almost like Katsu's personal property and everybody knows that. I even thought about fleeing the country," Kitano said.

Asked whether he would do this project if Katsu was still alive, Kitano said: "No way, absolutely not. I'm doing it simply because he is dead."

In addition to his directorial duties, Kitano, as Beat Takeshi, also will step into Katsu's sandals to star as Ichi.

But Kitano has made up his mind to make his own original adaptation--to be titled simply Zatoichi--not a mere substitute for any one of Katsu's earlier versions. So, how will the new Zatoichi film be different?

"The color of (Ichi's) hair is different. I will go with this blond hair," joked Kitano, who had his hair dyed blond earlier this year. "Of course, I will make my Zatoichi faithful to the time in which it's set except for my blond hair. But, wearing a wig itself is fake and cheesy, so what's wrong with blond hair? Everybody else wears an appropriate wig, though."

That, of course, is not the only ingredient Kitano will bring to this historical tale. His version of Zatoichi, to be in cinemas this autumn, also features elements inspired by tap dancing and stand-up comedy to make the film more action-entertainment orientated.

Among the Zatoichi cast is Japanese film darling Tadanobu Asano, who has costarred with Kitano in Nagisa Oshima's Gohatto.

"I always love Mr. Kitano's films, and it's my aim to further develop myself as a historical film actor. When I got the offer, I was really surprised, but I'll do best I can," he said.

Also asked to offer her services for Kitano's adaptation is Michiyo Okusu. The veteran actress played a role in one of Katsu's Zatoichi films in 1966, but she said she would leave it all up to Kitano for the latest production.

"I don't have any demands for Mr. Kitano concerning what Zatoichi should be like," Okusu said. "I'm looking forward to seeing how Mr. Kitano's adaptation comes out."

So is everyone else. But the question is: Can Kitano ward off Katsu's ghost?

"The idea is forming in my mind, and I have a good feeling that it's going to be a good movie," Kitano said.

Last edited by cultshock; 05-25-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes it could be very cool.

and very violent.
Old 05-26-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and pretty funny.
Old 05-26-03, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. What do you think of Kitano? Ever since I saw Brother, my first Kitano movie, all his other movies seem similar.
Old 05-26-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by joeydaninja
Yeah. What do you think of Kitano? Ever since I saw Brother, my first Kitano movie, all his other movies seem similar.
Alot of his movies are similar, but not all of them... Battle Royale isn't really a Kitano movie, but he's in it - that's a must-see.
Old 05-26-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like you've only seen his yakuza movies. You should check out A Scene by the Sea or Kikujirl then. Excellent movies, very different.

I love Kitano. Him as Zatoichi should be interesting.
Old 05-26-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Check out Kikujiro
Old 05-26-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen Kikujiro, and he was just as mean in that movie as he was in his mafia movies, except he didn't kill anybody. not that I don't like Kitano.
Old 05-26-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First Kitano film I saw (not counting his appearance in Nagisa Oshima's Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence) was Boiling Point and I became an instant fan. I like his more violent and/or yakuza films but to be honest, I thought that Brother was one of his lesser efforts. I really admire the fact that he does it all: director, actor, writer, comedian, painter, TV show host, etc. albeit to varying degrees of success, but he's not afraid to try.
Old 05-30-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for your viewing pleasure

from knowles

Old 05-30-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Kikujiro is really touching. Not a perfect movie but definitely different from some of his other films. Worth a rental, definitely.
Old 09-08-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn you Miramax! (Zatoichi)

Apparently Miramax just bought the rights to Zatoichi, the update starring Takeshi Kitano. I was kind of looking forward to seeing this film. I cringe at the thought of what Miramax may do it. I'm getting sick of Miramax buying up all these Asian movie rights, and not doing any of them justice. From their poor DVD releases of Jet Li movies with bad dubbing, no original soundtrack, cut to hell, and stupid renamed titles. To their recent handlings of Shaolin Soccer, Legend of Zu, and Hero. Hopefully we'll be lucky with an untouched Zatoichi, and it will only be given poor marketing.

Still, I'll probably just import the movie on DVD. That is, if Miramax doesn't block the sales of it. Oh, I also heard they bought up a bunch of other Stephen Chow movies. I don't have the list, but one of them was God of Cookery. Luckily I already have the HK release. end rant.
Old 09-08-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it the goal of this Miramax jerk to buy every possible great asian movie out there and just release the "bastardized" version of it by cutting almost half of what makes asian films different???

I mean, the reason why these asian (or any other international) films are so different is because of the way they are...whether in dialogue, editing, direction etc. etc. Why does he still pursue to make them more accesible to Western audiences by cutting what he thinks may be "too Asian" to others???

He once said he does these to "make the ****** work." Well, obviously they don't because not only does it make the film a lot worse, but it alienates the very audiences these films were made for.
Old 09-08-03, 05:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I always wonder that why he would buy the film if he consider it a piece of s***. Did he obsess with s***? Did he love to collect s***?
Old 09-08-03, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Re: Damn you Miramax! (Zatoichi)

Originally posted by V-ism
Still, I'll probably just import the movie on DVD. That is, if Miramax doesn't block the sales of it. Oh, I also heard they bought up a bunch of other Stephen Chow movies. I don't have the list, but one of them was God of Cookery. Luckily I already have the HK release. end rant.
Wait a sec - I thought AnimEigo had the rights to the R1 release of the Zatoichi movies? I know they did for the LD and VHS versions.

***EDIT*** Yeah, I was right: http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/ZATOICHI.t

They've got at least:
* Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo (Zatoichi to Yojimbo)
* Zatoichi the Outlaw, aka The Blind Swordsman's Rescue (Zatoichi Royaburi)
* Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival (Zatoichi Abare Himatsuri)
* Zatoichi at Large (Zatoichi Goyotabi)
* Zatoichi in Desperation (Shin Zatoichi Monogatari: Oreta Tsue)
* Zatoichi's Conspiracy (Shin Zatoichi Monogatari: Kasama No Chimatsuri)
* Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman (Shin Zatoichi: Yabure! Tojinken)

Last edited by El-Kabong; 09-08-03 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a brand new theatrical release, those are all older movies.
Old 09-08-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Damn you Miramax! (Zatoichi)

Originally posted by El-Kabong
They've got at least:
* Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo (Zatoichi to Yojimbo)
I've seen this in a few stores recently. Didn't have money at the time though

* Zatoichi in Desperation (Shin Zatoichi Monogatari: Oreta Tsue)
* Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman (Shin Zatoichi: Yabure! Tojinken)
LOVE to have both of those!
Old 09-08-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by harosa
This is a brand new theatrical release,
Yup. Info:
http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2003-06-09-05.htm

"Beat" with blonde hair?
Old 09-15-03, 02:03 PM

According to IMDB:

Takeshi Kitano’s Zatoichi, based upon the popular series of film and televisions shows about a blind masseuse/samurai warrior, won the coveted AGF People's Choice award at the 28th Annual Toronto Film Festival yesterday.

Hopefully Miramax won't chop it up. If so, I'll be keeping an eye out for a non-region 1 release.
Old 09-15-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ftsoh
I always wonder that why he would buy the film if he consider it a piece of shit. Did he obsess with shit? Did he love to collect shit?
*fixed
Old 09-15-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the main reason to get an All Region Player.
Old 09-15-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I already own Hero and Shaolin Soccer while Miramax farts around, and something tells me that I will be buying a foreign edition of Zatoichi as well. Oh well, if Miramax doesn't want my money by doing things properly, screw 'em.
Old 09-15-03, 11:23 PM

>>I already own Hero and Shaolin Soccer while Miramax farts around, and something tells me that I will be buying a foreign edition of Zatoichi as well. Oh well, if Miramax doesn't want my money by doing things properly, screw 'em.
Old 09-16-03, 08:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
ah, the power of money, sure the filmmakers will jump at Miramax's fat check book, yet even the notion of saying "no thank you, I'll pass (murmers under breath: you aint cutting my film damn bastards)" to Miramax is unheard of.
Old 09-16-03, 07:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Zhang Yimou is working on a new wuxia film in Ukraine with Andy Lau, Anita Mui, and Zhang Ziyi. Wanna bet who will have the US distribution rights?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.