Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors turning down roles (that ended up being big mistakes)?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin Costner's career wasn't hurt when he turned down Red October to make Dances With Wolves instead, but perhaps he gained a lot when Don Johnson turned down the lead in The Untouchables. And look what happened to Johnson.

Any other stories like this that you know of that the actor who turned down the part would come to regret? Obviously Nicole Kidman career wasn't hurt when she pulled out of Panic Room, or Brad Pitt turning down the lead in True Romance, but what about the flip side?

Who knows how Charlie Sheen's career would've been if he had accepted White Men Can't Jump and Indecent Proposal.

Christian Slater turned down The Crow.

We know what happened to Alec Baldwin when he said no to Patriot Games.

David Schwimmer supposedly turned down Men In Black.
Old 05-25-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe Harrison Ford turned down Michael Douglas' role in Traffic
Old 05-25-03, 09:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While it wasn't his choice, Tom Selleck should have done whatever it took to get out of his "Magnum P.I." contract to do Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 05-25-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't Jet Li turn down the role of Neo in MATRIX ?
Old 05-25-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sean Connery turned down both The Matrix and Lord of the Rings (because he didn't understand them... he said he regretted it, and that is why he is making League of Extrordinary Gentleman, because he read the script and didn't get it...didn't want to miss out again )

Sure it didn't hurt his career at all...but interesting

MATT
Old 05-25-03, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by marty888
Didn't Jet Li turn down the role of Neo in MATRIX ?
He turned down the role of Seraph in The Matrix Reloaded
Old 05-25-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John Travolta turned down the following roles.

An Officer And A Gentleman
Chicago
American Gigolo

Notice a theme?
Old 05-25-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Actors turning down roles (that ended up being big mistakes)?

Originally posted by Face/Off
Any other stories like this that you know of that the actor who turned down the part would come to regret? Obviously Nicole Kidman career wasn't hurt when she pulled out of Panic Room, or Brad Pitt turning down the lead in True Romance, but what about the flip side?
Kidman didn't turn the role down. She had a recurring knee injury from Moulin Rouge that prevented her from doing an action role.

Will Smith turned down the role of Neo to do Wild Wild West. You could argue his career has yet to recover from that blunder, since he's not the draw he once was. Ewan McGregor turned down the role also but he's done pretty well for himself when considering Star Wars and Moulin Rouge.
Old 05-25-03, 01:18 PM
Banned

Sylvester Stallone turned down several roles which would have been perfect for him, a few rolese Sly turned down that I can name: 1) He was originally signed to play the role of Max Cherry in "Jackie Brown". Tarantino really wanted him as Max Cherry but for some reason Sly didn't like the role, I think Sly being in a Tarantino film would HAVE helped his career 2) Sly was asked to play the lead role (Eddie Murphy's main character) in "Beverly Hills Cop", Sly was asking the writer/directors to make "Beverly Hills Cop" series an action thriller but the film makers disagreed with Sly and still wanted the films to be an action comedy, so Sly decided it was a no go for "Beverly Hills Cop" 3) Sly was also asked to play the role of James Dolan in "Stephen King's Dolan's Caddillac" and he turned that down as well but instead, Kevin Bacon was confirmed to sign to play the lead role instead....

After all the mistakes Sly made in the past, he should've choosed better movies, him being in "Spy Kids 3-D" was actually a great decision, I'm happy he didn't turn that role down as that film would help his career.

As far as other actors besides Sly goes:

1) Both Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando turned down the role of Randall McMurphy in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
2) Jon Malkovich and John Cusack both turned down the role of Dr. Gonzo and Raul Duke in "Fear and Loathin In Las Vegas", Gilliam really wanted them too....
3) Harrison Ford turned down the rest of the Jack Ryan roles because he no longer wanted to part of it, which didn't hurt his career.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 05-25-03 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alec Baldwin turning down reprising his role of Jack Ryan in Patriot Games after Hunt For Red October... His Carrer has gone in the crapper since.

Harrison Ford turned down Sum of all Fears, so they reworked the series.
Old 05-25-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read that Chevy Chase turned down Forrest Gump and American Beauty.
Old 05-25-03, 04:10 PM

How about Stuart Townsend who was originally cast as Aragorn in LOTR. I know he kinda quit and was kinda fired at the same time but look what it did for the career of Viggo Mortensen. Viggo is now "popular" while Stuart is still languishing as "semi-star" in movies like Queen of the Damned and LXG. Now I may be mistaken but wasn't Elizabeth Hurley offered the Role of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider? What about Dougray Scott turning down Wolverine to play Sean Ambrose in MI2?

Last edited by DVDGUY1116; 05-25-03 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
What about Dougray Scott turning down Wolverine to play Sean Ambrose in MI2?
This is not correct. Dougray Scott was signed as Wolverine, however the MI:2 schedule went long and had to do reshoots. They couldn't wait for him on X-Men, so they replaced him with Hugh Jackman.
Old 05-25-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Burt Reynolds turned down the Jack Nicholson role in Terms of Endearment (1983).
Old 05-25-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by TheCLovur
I read that Chevy Chase turned down Forrest Gump and American Beauty.
There is a god.
Old 05-25-03, 05:52 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
You have to question if the movies would have done as well with the different actors...

Sly Stallone in Beverly Hills Cop would have made it a completely different film, either gritty action that might have done well, or a comedy that flopped. I heard that most the original plot and his character were made over into "Cobra."
Old 05-25-03, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Deftones
This is not correct. Dougray Scott was signed as Wolverine, however the MI:2 schedule went long and had to do reshoots. They couldn't wait for him on X-Men, so they replaced him with Hugh Jackman.
Gotcha. I didn't realize he WAS signed as Wolverine. I thought it was the other way around. I thought that he was up for both roles but turned down Wolverine because of MI:2's shooting schedule conflicted with X-Men. Thanks for the clarification. Is it also true that Hugh Jackman was originally supposed to be in MI: 2 as Sean Ambrose? Either way, worked out great for Hugh and not as great for Dougray.
Old 05-25-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Uma Thurman passing up the lead role in Titantic was a mistake for her.
Old 05-25-03, 06:53 PM

John Travolta turned down the following roles.

An Officer And A Gentleman
Chicago
American Gigolo

Notice a theme?
Add Days of Heaven to that list...
Old 05-25-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shu Qi (girl from transporter) turned down Zhang ZiYi's role in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Old 05-25-03, 07:15 PM

Great thread

I'd be interested to know who Anthony Hopkins competed agains for the Hannibal Lecter role in Silence of the Lambs. I truly cannot imagin anyone doing a better job.

Stuart Townsend...poor chap. That was a mistake of epic proportions. Had he played Aragorn he would be at the least as well known as Orlando Bloom(who BTW initially read for Farmir and was given Legolas...what a coup).
Old 05-25-03, 07:20 PM

My family used to live across the street from the kid they picked to star in The Shining (Kubrick version).

...but he had to turn it down because they asked him "do you have nightmares?" and he said yes. So they went with their second choice. Not that the kid who made it into the movie has been successful since then. (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 05-25-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
Gotcha. I didn't realize he WAS signed as Wolverine. I thought it was the other way around. I thought that he was up for both roles but turned down Wolverine because of MI:2's shooting schedule conflicted with X-Men. Thanks for the clarification. Is it also true that Hugh Jackman was originally supposed to be in MI: 2 as Sean Ambrose? Either way, worked out great for Hugh and not as great for Dougray.
No problem. Just wanted to make sure the right info was posted.
Old 05-25-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't Ralph Macchio turn down the role of Marty McFly b/c it seemed like a story about "a boy and his car"? Who knows where "The Karate Kid" would have gone if he had gone "BACK...TO THE FUTURE!"

(okay, sorry for the bad jokes).

Yeah, this is a great thread...very interesting!
Old 05-25-03, 08:01 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Eddie Murphy Turned down the role of Winston Zeddemore in GHOSTBUSTERS. Not really a big mistake but notable/

"Trading Places" was originally written for Richard Pryor

John Travolta turned down Splash

Kevin Costner Truned down war games to play a corpse in the Big chill

Last edited by goLUCKY; 05-25-03 at 08:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.