Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The In-Laws remake

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The In-Laws remake

Loved the original. Didn't care much for the remake. Seemed pretty tired and was no where near as zany and funny as the original.
Douglas & Brooks worked hard to make the magic happen, but the script was very flat.

There are a couple of funny scenes. Candice bergen was very good in her limited role.

I miss the sock puppet. Where the hell was the sock puppet and the serpentine?

Grade: C+ (feeling generous tonight)
Old 05-24-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
No serpentine? How can it be the in-laws with no serpentine?!?!
Old 05-24-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there was a thread about this movie started a few weeks ago after the first sneak preview...there's some discussion going on in there, so maybe search it out... (the "albert brooks new movie thread"...i also made a "the in-laws" thread two weeks ago, but nobody's posted in it yet!)

MATT

Last edited by mdc3000; 05-24-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-24-03, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw this the other night and didn't like it at all. The original was a much better and funnier movie. I only laughed one or two times during the remake, and found it to be very predictable and long. Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks had okay chemistry (nothing compared to Peter Falk and Alan Arkin) and Candice Bergin wasn't very funny in the ten minutes of screen time she had.

As for Senor Pepe the sockpuppet and "Serpentine!", there were a couple of times during the movie where I actually thought they were going to use those, but they never did.

Skip it and rent/buy the original.