Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Glorify Michael Bay as The "Architect" for Action movies!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Glorify Michael Bay as The "Architect" for Action movies!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe

If I had to rank the Weakest, Most Overused Strategies for Convincing People What a Smart, Savvy Filmgoer You Are, it'd go something like this:

1. Make a point to let the world know how much you despise Michael Bay. Put it in your sig if necessary.
2. Without going into much detail, simply insist that anybody who didn't like AI (or Eyes Wide Shut, or Magnolia, or....) just "didn't understand it." If you're feeling especially confrontational, follow this with "You should probably stick to stuff like xXx."
3. Name-drop moderately to very obscure directors whenever possible. Particularly effective if those directors are foreign.

Too true! Especially #3
Old 05-23-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like Bay's movie's quite a bit... i'm a sucker for over the top action. They're entertaining
Old 05-23-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
1) Bay sucks!

2) I doubt you would enjoy the genius behind A.I., Barry Lyndon, or Minority Report, Just go see Bad Boys 2.

3) Try watching Gans, Fellini, or old school John Woo.

Old 05-23-03, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're an action film enthusiast yet think that Michael Bay is the best director than you've got a lot to learn about action movies.

Guy Hamilton
Terence Young
Richard Fleisher
William Friedkin
Stanley Kubrik
John Woo
Tsui Hark
Jean-Piere Melville
Jean-Henri Clouzot(sp?)
Tony Scott
James Cameron

....and the King of Action: John Frankenheimer (who is Michael Bay's father from most accounts. Why couldn't Bay get any of his father's talent?)

Last edited by Pants; 05-23-03 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
1) Bay sucks!

2) I doubt you would enjoy the genius behind A.I., Barry Lyndon, or Minority Report, Just go see Bad Boys 2.

3) Try watching Gans, Fellini, or old school John Woo.

Nice try, but you missed the sig. (Look up 7 posts).
Old 05-23-03, 02:24 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad at least someone got a mild kick out of my Technique Trifecta List.

And I don't mean to imply that everybody who's ever expressed anti-Bay sentiments (which would cover, what? 85% of 'Net geeks?) is being insincere. I was just trying to come up with a post whose sarcasm matched that of the thread starter.

Regardless, I stated earlier that I was sorta 50 / 50 on whether I'd see Bad Boys 2 or not, but now it looks like I'll definitely be there opening night. Mainly to spite all the BayBashers.
Old 05-23-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Alien Redrum
I love Michael Bay Flicks
I love Don Simpson.
I love Jerry Bruckheimer.

Sometimes it's good not to think for 2 hours.
Agreed.

If there's something more tiring than Michael Moore bashing on these boards, it's Michael Bay bashing. If you don't like his style of movies, DON'T WATCH THEM.

Jesus, did you go into The Rock thinking it'd be an oscar contender for best picture? Hopefully not. He makes movies so people can go to the theater and ENJOY themselves for 2 hours, not so you'll think about them and have endless internet debates later on.
Old 05-23-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was just trying to come up with a post whose sarcasm matched that of the thread starter.
Sadly, I happen to know that the thread starter is definitely NOT being sarcastic. He leads a very pitiable life.
Old 05-23-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Bay would make a good cinematographer - but he is NOT a good director.
Old 05-23-03, 04:19 PM
Banned

Numanoid and I can't seem to agree on anything:
Sadly, I happen to know that the thread starter is definitely NOT being sarcastic. He leads a very pitiable life.
Dear God! Are you saying he's not familiar with the films of Pier Paolo Pasolini?!

Old 05-23-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dear God! Are you saying he's not familiar with the films of Pier Paolo Pasolini?!

I'm pretty sure he can't even pronounce the name, let alone know about his films.
Old 05-23-03, 11:01 PM
Banned

I'm not talking to you anymore, now that you've changed your sig.
Old 05-24-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
The way people go off on Michael Bay around these parts and elsewhere, you'd think he just squeezed cheese into their mother's tapioca pudding or something.

The guy makes fun movies, he's not trying to remake 8 1/2. That's why PH floundered so pitifully; his attempts to be "serious", "poignant", and "respectful" withered on the vine between some nicely staged battle scenes.
Old 05-24-03, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure why everyone's getting so bent out of shape about Bay when he's obviously just a giant muppet built and operated by Jerry Bruckheimer.

Give credit/blame where it's due, that's my motto.
Old 05-24-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Say what you will, but I've always gotten some strange sort of enjoyment out of watching Michael Bay's movies. He's got a style all his own. A lot of people just don't take to it. I like it.
Old 05-24-03, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
When I read the thread title I thought it was about this guy:

Old 05-24-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
1) I despise Michael Bay.

2) I won't go into detail, but you sound like the kind of guy who probably didn't like A.I.. Well, seeing as you're a Michael Bay fan, I'm sure that's because you didn't "get it". You should probably stick to stuff like XXX.

3) You should really try checking out a few "real" directors sometime, like Bunuel, Kieslowski or Tarkovsky.
I was waiting for the ultimate snobbish reply in this thread and this one has to win. Ok, I agree with you on the first point. I have never liked anything this guy has done. I still cringe at the memory of going to see Armageddon over the Fourth of July weekend because it was just about the only thing showing in my area.

That being said, i get sick and tired of the standard reply to anybody who has the nerve to actually like Bay's films or try to defend him. Not everybody liked A.I. you know and by no means should it be some standard to judge peoples' taste in films. You liked it, I liked it, but I know a lot of smart people who enjoy quality films that make them think that just couldn't stand A.I.

Also, I happened to like XXX and judging by how it did in theaters and then on DVD, I'm far from the only one. It was brainless action and a lot of brain candy. I know a lot of people hate Vin Diesel and I can see where that is coming from, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

Then I like the "real directors" comment. Any time someone wants to show that they are above popcorn entertainment films they drag out names like you mentioned. Accept that those directors are not for everybody and while they do make decent work, they aren't the end-all, be-all when it comes to filmmmaking. Some would even go as far as calling their work quite pretentious.

The key here is moderation people. A little bit of diversity in one's viewing habits is a good thing.
Old 05-24-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
He was joking.
Old 05-24-03, 02:08 PM
Banned

And that, my friends, is why you should never use the Ignore User Option. Especially not on me.
Old 05-24-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe someone actually fell for the trifecta-rule joke.
Old 05-24-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts
I'm anxiously waiting for the thread starter's next thread:

Glorify N Sync as The "Architects" for Pop music!
Old 05-24-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
When I read the thread title I thought it was about this guy:

Thank GOD!! I thought I was the only one who made this connection. Jeff Schwartz would be proud.
Old 05-24-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by badger1997
I was waiting for the ultimate snobbish reply in this thread and this one has to win. Ok, I agree with you on the first point. I have never liked anything this guy has done. I still cringe at the memory of going to see Armageddon over the Fourth of July weekend because it was just about the only thing showing in my area.

That being said, i get sick and tired of the standard reply to anybody who has the nerve to actually like Bay's films or try to defend him. Not everybody liked A.I. you know and by no means should it be some standard to judge peoples' taste in films. You liked it, I liked it, but I know a lot of smart people who enjoy quality films that make them think that just couldn't stand A.I.

Also, I happened to like XXX and judging by how it did in theaters and then on DVD, I'm far from the only one. It was brainless action and a lot of brain candy. I know a lot of people hate Vin Diesel and I can see where that is coming from, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

Then I like the "real directors" comment. Any time someone wants to show that they are above popcorn entertainment films they drag out names like you mentioned. Accept that those directors are not for everybody and while they do make decent work, they aren't the end-all, be-all when it comes to filmmmaking. Some would even go as far as calling their work quite pretentious.

The key here is moderation people. A little bit of diversity in one's viewing habits is a good thing.
Score!!!