Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok I've got some questions -Spoilers

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-03, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the prophecy a fake? Just a way to give people a sense of hope?

If Zion is constantly being destroyed over and over again, then what the hell is taking them so long to do it?

Why are there Agents that can't fly when the Twins clearly could? And why do the Agents obey the laws of physics when Neo does not?

If the world is really dark skies on the surface, then what the hell are the people of Zion fighting for anyway? Is there a chance the Earth has grown back, or is the next movie gonna end with the people free but still living in caves?

Even if they shutdown the Matrix and free all the people then what? They still got to physically beat them Terminator style.

Some things to think about.
Old 05-18-03, 05:53 PM

1 I think the prophecy is not necessarily fake but it's just how the people of Zion explain the phenomenon of the 1% anomaly. The Oracle is a program that serves the purpose of finding the one as well as other tasks, and and the people have Zion have deemed this program some sort of Oracle because they do not know she is just a program.

2 My personal theory is that Zion is just another part of the Matrix. Watching the movie again with this theory only further suggests it.

3 The Twins can't really fly. They're just able to become ghostlike and then rematerialize. If you watch the scene that I believe you're thinking of that seems like they're flying, what really happens is the blast launches them into the air, and then they become ghosts. Neo is the only one who can really fly.

4 You cynical ahole =P

5 I assume that shutting down the Matrix includes the control of all the Sentinels.
Old 05-18-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neo is the one, the one is both the beginning and end. simple as that.

Zion has been destroyed. over and over again. the only difference is that the last 5 times it's been destroyed the "one" choose door #1 and picked 23 people from the matrix to repopulate zion.

When did the twins fly? they went through items.. it would be like this.. those were rouge programs so they could use there powers in ways regular agents programing would restrict them. You copy of half life can not act like a copy of quake 3 and WinZip can not do the same things Kazaa lite can do. programs are made for a specific task and have different ablities in doing them.

I will go on record and say if neo could disable the sentiels, then he has some power to make things better in the real world on the surface. But anyhow.. whats the point of going back to the top surface? Well I think it's more along the lines of surviving the robots that they are concerned about.

If they shut down the matrix that is what is the electricity of the real world robots. if they do this, then it will cause a lot of the robot's soceity to fall since the sun is darkend. if you kill the power then you kill a large amount of the threat. not to mention the ability to recharge the robot troops batteries to continue fighting. either way, I think the end will be a sort of symbionic relationship between man and machine.

I thought story didn't matter aslong as you could blow things up lester?
Old 05-18-03, 06:32 PM
Banned

Good stuff, here's some more questions.

Ok, if there can be programs written for just about anything (werewolfs, ghosts) couldn't there be a program for a clone of Neo? Or someone just as strong?

I noticed that when one of the Twins was firing his gun he ran out of ammo. Now couldn't the programmer French dude of used an 'infinite ammo' cheat? Or is it not that simple?

And another thing

If you can wear whatever you'd like in the Matrix can you change what you physically look like? Or is it just your mental picture of yourself? Example: If I was plugging into the Matrix I'd want to believe I was Wolverine. Simply because I'd be invincible and have claws.
Old 05-18-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's my ideas.

1 and 2.) The 'real world' is a fake. It's just another matrix to keep the 1% content who can't "accept" the false reality of the matrix.

Basically, it breaks down like this. There is an inherent programming flaw inside the matrix. In any program that large, you have programming bugs that are transient, and are extremely hard to track down. Neo is the embodiment of this programming flaw. Every so often, it crops up, and one special person has intimate access to the matrix that no one else has. To help bring this rogue program in, the robots who control the Matrix have created a second matrix. This also serves the dual purpose of having a place to send the people who can't or won't function inside the original matrix. They get to believe they are fighting to win the war.

Instead, they are just serving the robots, and helping to locate Neo and bring him in for, presumably, debugging and deletion. This has happened five times in the past, almost exactly the same way each time. Everything happens just to facilitate the capture of Neo and his willing choice for deprogramming.

However, this time things have happened a bit differently, and possibly because of the Oracle (or not), and perhaps because of Agent Smith (or not). The Oracle may be a rogue program herself, and may be helping Neo because she wants to destroy the Matrix. Or, she may be working in concert with the Architect, the movie doesn't definitively state. If she's rogue, then her speech persuaded Neo to make the correct choice of doors when his predicessor failed. I'd like to believe this. On the other hand, it could be Agent Smith's 'viral' program that changed some part of Neo and made him choose different. We know that at the very least, his 'double agent' likely did things differently in Zion, or wished to do so. Then again, that assumes that Agent Smith's 'rogueness' wasn't predicted by the Matrix, and that's what makes all this so much fun!

3. The twins couldn't fly. They were what you and I would call ghosts. The matrix calls them rogue programs. They were probably given the "invisibility" and "no collision detection" as part of whatever function they were originally programed to fill. At some point, they failed and kept running unchecked. This happens in real world computer systems. Sometimes programs fail and have unexpected results. These apparently wanted to be human on some level. They attempted to fit in as best they could, but they still retain the original programming they were 'born' with. Thus, they can tap into the invisibilty, or pass through solid objects at will. Had they never failed, they would have never been spotted at all -- listen again to the Oracle's speech.

There's also a rational explaination for the Agents and Neo. Agents are machines. They are still bound by the rules they are coded with. They can't break them. Now, if the computer wants to make better Agents, I'm sure that it could make some that could fly. Then again, it may be impossible for (or may not occur to) them to write code that breaks other laws in the matrix world -- Neo should not be able to fly the way he does, he lacks any kind of propulsion system.

Neo is human, and as such, he is not bound by the hard logic of the machines. He can simply re-write whatever it is that he chooses.

4. Who knows if that's what's really up there. Maybe it is dark skies and a shattered earth, or maybe it's all a lie told by the machines. Maybe, as I said above, there's a second matrix. At any rate, most likely, the people are just fighting to be free. Humans hate to be enslaved, and almost always chose to fight over the most pitiful possessions rather than be ruled by another.

5. Good point. I've often wondered this myself. Then again, maybe the machines rely on the Matrix so heavily that it's destruction would kill them. In a sense, everyone in America is dependent on technology. If an EMP bomb wiped out everything electronic from border to border tomorrow, we'd have a hard time coping, and many, many people would die. It's also easy to speculate that we could be easily invaded at that point. Don't forget, some 'modern' Russian fighters used old-fashioned tube technology instead of integrated circutry. Some speculated that it wasn't the Russains being backward, it was the Russians protecting themselves against EMP.

Last edited by einTier; 05-18-03 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-18-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically the Matrix is the equivalent of Windows 3.0.

Soon it's going to hang.
Old 05-19-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Anyone else find it strange that both the Matrix and "the real world" take place in real time? I would think that time passing in the Matrix which feels like hours, or even days, actually takes place in microseconds when compared to the real world. I think this could further lend credibility to the theory that the Matrix and "the real world" are one and the same.