Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

i LIKED the rave scene...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

i LIKED the rave scene...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 08:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Ketamine
For whatever stupid reason, a karate kick to the head equals an R rating.
Link?
Old 05-19-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by isamu
The music absolutely rocked. I love progressive house! But yeah, the scene should've been shortened. Also am I the only one that felt uncomfortable watching Carrie Ann Moss in a sex scene? I'm sorry don't get me wrong I love how she kicks ass in the film, but I don't find her to be sexy at all. I could only cringe at watching her and Neo getting it on. That should've been left out as opposed to the bumping and grinding going on on the dance floor.
One of the reasons I like her character is that she is not a Perfect Sexy Woman. She has been living in a culture that has been living underground for a 100 years. She should look even more dirty/unkept than she does now.

It is a sad comment to our thinking about women when they have to be completely sexy (perfect) for us to like them. Any flaw and we throw them out the door.
Old 05-19-03, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Link?
That kicks to head comment was made by Joel Silver in the Time magazine article.. chanster posted a link to the Q&A's in the "Where did Tank go?" thread.. http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101...mmatrixqa.html

There may be some spoilers in it so there's my word of caution..

Sex and nudity do not necessarily always mean an instant rating of R. Titanic was PG-13, yes? But I seriously think Silver was just being over-the-top with that kicks to head blurb.. it probably has something to do the scene showing the fate of the one crew. Not the worst gore, but gory nonetheless. Ever watch the editing for MPAA feature on the Fast and the Furious DVD? If you show goryness for this short amount of time you can get by with PG-13... if you show it for this long, you'll get stamped R.

Last edited by khai; 05-19-03 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the rave scene the dancing and the music. It may have been a second or two long, however, if they'd edited the sex scene all it would've been fine.

The sex just didn't add anything to the story for me, not to mention it seemed like it was watered down. All of this half-humping, just awkward.
Old 05-19-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the scene was fantastic. Visceral filmmaking at its finest. The music, the grinding, the sweat... highly choreographed and skillfully composed.

Like others have said, the scene took me by surprise the first time... probably because it's unlike anything you'd normally see in a mainstream Hollywood production... but upon a second viewing, the whole thing fits together very nicely. As a viewer, its a scene that you must let absorb you... and not try to force into one category or another.
Old 05-20-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
a friend pointed this out to me...

why in the hell would they make a big deal about the sex scene? unless...

TRINITY IS PREGNANT! with the next one!

not sure if i buy it, but oh well.
Old 05-20-03, 10:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would be surprised if Trinity DOESN'T get pregnant
Old 05-20-03, 11:18 AM

it's sad to think that our attention spans have dwindled to the point that a 2 or 3 minute scene in a movie we don't agree with makes the rest of the movie suck...............

come on the zion scene was critical for plot and character development and awards several insights as to what will happen. if we hadn's seen zion you some of you would be asking "why haven't we seen zion yet?"

if you can't sit through the rave scene and enjoy the movie leave, make it that much more enjoyable for the people that aren't so picky
Old 05-20-03, 11:21 AM

for the record i thought the rave scene was essential and i liked how it was done
Old 05-20-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
i thought it should have been in the movie, but it did feel as though it went on a bit too long.
Old 05-20-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt she could be pregnant with another "the one." They don't show up one right after another, if there will need to be another "one" then that person/program/whatever shouldn't show up for about another 100 years.

But she could be pregant- although I don't think that's essential. I think the main point is that they are in that beginning stage of love where you can't imagine life without the other and are full of overwhelming passion. That would be a reason why Neo made the choice he made.
Old 05-20-03, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by hotaru_san
I doubt she could be pregnant with another "the one." They don't show up one right after another, if there will need to be another "one" then that person/program/whatever shouldn't show up for about another 100 years.

But she could be pregant- although I don't think that's essential. I think the main point is that they are in that beginning stage of love where you can't imagine life without the other and are full of overwhelming passion. That would be a reason why Neo made the choice he made.
lol, persephonie meant i envy you but such things don't last............the next step is getting married then all the fun is lost.............j/k of course
Old 05-20-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

after living and working with her for a few years, Neo might be ready to ditch her...

That's a lot of time to spend with one woman when people see you as some sort of godlike figure. Once people start trying to give him their virgin daughters he might just change his mind.
Old 05-20-03, 08:24 PM

during the whole scene, I was busy trying to figure out if I saw a tit or a metal hole thing.
Old 05-21-03, 10:06 PM

i was expecting worse, but it was still terrible and hurt the pacing of the movie imo.
Old 05-22-03, 04:12 AM

I liked the idea behind it, the contrast between pure humanity and the machines, but the way it was shot and the length killed it. Very uncomfortable scene.
Old 05-22-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It almost ruins the movie for me. I am thinking this scene will last for maybe a minute, then another minute goes by, then another, and another. This whole scene should have lasted a minute at the most. I didn't expect this kind of scene from the wachowskis'
considering that the first matrix was paced really well and that there were no useless scenes such as the rave scene. This movie had quite a few scenes where it went too long and this was definitely one of them.
Old 05-23-03, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by jiggawhat
This movie had quite a few scenes where it went too long and this was definitely one of them.
I strongly believe the "statements" made in the celebration/lovemaking scene were perfectly designed and appropriate to illustrate the contrast between the humans and machines. I also feel the length of this scene was left intentionally long to make its point more clearly. Remember everyone is not as observant and intuitive as most of us. However, with that being said, the length of this scene does not benefit the story once the purpose of the scene becomes apparent to the viewer.

The first movie had a much tighter script which was more economical with the dialogue,action, and plot. This movie suffers from too much irrelevant dialogue and some action bloating. All in all it is still a great movie.
Old 05-23-03, 08:54 AM

there are slow scenes in every movie, i don't see the big deal. course i didn't think it slowed down the movie. if this was any other movie out there it would not be a big deal
Old 05-23-03, 10:10 AM

It almost ruins the movie for me. I am thinking this scene will last for maybe a minute, then another minute goes by, then another, and another. This whole scene should have lasted a minute at the most. I didn't expect this kind of scene from the wachowskis'
You can't be serious. You don't happen to have ADD do you?

Pacing smacing. You all sound like BS Directors. Pacing is subjective and will be determined by each individual viewer. If it ruined it for you fine...some of us or more anal than others.

In times of great stress Humans can find peace and solace in Music and Dance. It's always been that way.