Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My question about Zion...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the architect say that the machines had destroyed Zion 5 times before? If they destroyed the city killed all the humans why would the city have the same name again?

Shadow
Old 05-17-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the thing. the past five neo's have choosen door #1.

go back to the source, pick 23 people and zion is destroyed. those 23 people are left alive to restart it all.

My understanding is that the matrix is doing this in order to keep some humans that are outside of the matrix around just in case say, the matrix crashes or something. All the power source would be gone. Now if they keep in control the back up power they have something to fall back on without to much of a danger of back fire in the number that zion has now.

Neo picked door #2, the matrix will be destroyed in 24 hours and all zion will be under attacked. time for formating of the matrix.
Old 05-17-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i totally did not understand that part with the two doors and the 23 people.

he said trinity dies both ways and theres nothing he can do about it. yet she lived and he picked door 2.

had he picked door 1, trinity would have died for sure (that makes sense) but then what happens to zion? and why?
Old 05-17-03, 10:21 PM

Re: My question about Zion...

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
If they destroyed the city killed all the humans why would the city have the same name again?
Since the Matrix is forming the "reality" humans are raised in, they keep imprinting them with Judeo-Christian beliefs, where Zion is the promised land.

The Matrix then uses religion to guide man (and the "One") to reset the Matrix they don't really have a choice in what they name the city, Zion is the only thing they could possibly choose...
Old 05-17-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trinity did die, she just didn't stay dead very long just like Neo died in the first movie but didn't stay dead. I'm not sure the architect knew there was a chance that Trinity would live, but things would have gone more smoothly if Neo had believed him about her dying and decided to take the other door so that time 6 would be just like times 1-5.

The One would remember the name of the city and probably would keep the same name- or maybe there's a plaque or a sign somewhere with that name on it and "the one" was too lazy to take it down.
Old 05-18-03, 09:02 PM

Keep in mind that at no time did the Architect imply that the previous Zions were named Zion. The Architect simply said that Zion had been destroyed 5 times before. He did not specifically say that all 5 previous cities were named Zion. They could have been named Nirvana, or Valahalla, or Utopia, or any other common name in human mythology for an ideal city.

Since the Prophecy of the One was created by the machines to ensure that the One would be drawn to the Source, it's also possible that the Prophecy implies a name for the city, and that the name happens to be Zion.