Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I wish some people would just stay home.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the Matrix: Reloaded last night. Packed house and this couple sits behind me and my friend. About 1/3 of the way into the movie I hear snoring. The guy is sleeping and his snoring is loud and gurgly. This goes on for a period of time and then he wakes up and starts coughing.

His wife leaves comes back. Leaves comes back. repeat repeat repeat. Everytime his wife comes back he loudly tells her what happened while she was away all those times.

Towards the end of the film the lady starts sighing and yawning loudly.

If you are tired don't go to the movies. Just stay home or if you get tired leave. Get your money back if you can. Don't ruin someone else's time.
Old 05-16-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
That's why Morpheus never frees a mind after a certain age. Old people can't stay awake during a kung fu fight.

"Do you think that's air your breathing now?
"ZZzzzZZZZ!"
Old 05-16-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is why I rarely go to the theater and is also why I have invested much money, time and effort into building a HT and DVD collection. People, in a word, suck.

I caught X2 last weekend, first film I had been to since The Two Towers was released (unless you count the Ghosts Of The Abyss 3-D at the IMAX)... Same story, couple behind me talking and schmoozing through the whole film, groups of teens being "cool" and some twit even had the nerve to bring a baby...

Despite the above (which is pretty typical with any given theater "experience") I am going to catch The Matrix... In about a month.
Old 05-16-03, 12:34 PM

This is why I hate going to theaters - I rarely go anymore. The $$$ I spend on DVDs more than compensates for the time, aggrivation, etc. I have to go through some nights in having to deal with people who consider the film secondary to their cell phone chats, eating of 10-course meals, running around the theater playing tag (yes, this happened to me once), etc.

I'll be seeing X2 this weekend, hoping that everyone's seeing Matrix Reloaded. I'll see MR when the next big blockbuster hits the theaters.
Old 05-16-03, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last night at the Matrix near the end I notice the bright blue light of this guy's cel phone on silent mode. Moments later, at the climax of the whole movie when
Spoiler:
trinity is falling out of the window
, he gets up and goes out of the theater to answer it!!! Obviously he couldn't care less about the movie, but then I wonder why he even bothered to come on opening night at all.
Old 05-16-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pants
Last night at the Matrix near the end I notice the bright blue light of this guy's cel phone on silent mode. Moments later, at the climax of the whole movie when
Spoiler:
trinity is falling out of the window
, he gets up and goes out of the theater to answer it!!! Obviously he couldn't care less about the movie, but then I wonder why he even bothered to come on opening night at all.
sometimes ppl have important phone calls. At least he had the courtesy to answer his call outside of the theater. That's much better than those inconsiderate ppl who answer their phones while in the theater.
Old 05-16-03, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dabaomb
sometimes ppl have important phone calls. At least he had the courtesy to answer his call outside of the theater. That's much better than those inconsiderate ppl who answer their phones while in the theater.
Don't get me wrong, he did the right thing, but it blew me away that someone who would go opening night is so disinterested that he would miss the climax of the film.
Old 05-16-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometime I just couldn't understand people. They snore, answering phone and all while they're on a movie, while they can actually do that at home without have to go to the cinema, stand in line, and pay for tickets. It pisses me off that people are being inconsiderate to other people. I have to agree with davejt1, I prefer watching movie at home than on cinema.
Old 05-16-03, 01:33 PM
Retired

It is annoying, but it doesn't bother me that much most of the time.

Definitely not enough to keep me from going. I'll never be able to build a home theater to rival the huge screens and awesome sound of the local Muvico multiplex. Really no one can build a home theater to rival that. And for movies like the Matrix that are at least as much "flash" as substances, the theater experiences adds a ton to the movie.
Old 05-16-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It is annoying, but it doesn't bother me that much most of the time.

Definitely not enough to keep me from going. I'll never be able to build a home theater to rival the huge screens and awesome sound of the local Muvico multiplex. Really no one can build a home theater to rival that. And for movies like the Matrix that are at least as much "flash" as substances, the theater experiences adds a ton to the movie.
Unfortunately not all people are like you. I, for example, get distracted very easily. It is true that nothing can be compared to watching movie in a good movie theatre, but the experience will be ruined had if someone distract me from the movie. Besides, not all movie theatre are a good one. The last time I went to a movie theatre, they show the movie only in stereo and the print quality has deteroriate, despite it's one of the best theatre in town.
Old 05-16-03, 01:57 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Pants
Don't get me wrong, he did the right thing, but it blew me away that someone who would go opening night is so disinterested that he would miss the climax of the film.
Be a little more open-minded here.

He could have been a Dr. who loved the Matrix, and decided to see it even though he was on call as it had been a slow day and he figured he wouldn't get called.

Maybe the dude's wife was pregnant, but not due for a couple of days and he decided to go see the sequel to one of his favorite movies.

Just because he had to step out to take the call doesn't mean he was disinterested in the movie.
Old 05-16-03, 02:10 PM
Banned

He could have been a Dr. who loved the Matrix, and decided to see it even though he was on call as it had been a slow day and he figured he wouldn't get called.

Maybe the dude's wife was pregnant, but not due for a couple of days and he decided to go see the sequel to one of his favorite movies.

Just because he had to step out to take the call doesn't mean he was disinterested in the movie.
Gimme a break! You're really going to defend this lamo? Is this really worth your time? Yeah that's it, he's a doctor and/or has a pregnant wife. All the expecting fathers and doctors that I know wait in line for 90 minutes to see the matrix opening night at 9:30

He was just a dumb teenager, that or some geek who was seeing it for the 3rd time that day. Either way it's bizar behavior. Don't waste your life defending retards
Old 05-16-03, 03:32 PM

All of the annoying behaviors listed above does not hold a candle to someone repeatedly kicking the back of my seat. That really pisses me off. You know who you are
Old 05-16-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Sorry, no, he's just some asshat.
Old 05-16-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I'll ever go to the theater is during the week, in the morning. At this time, most people are at work and most kids are in school.

I made the mistake of seeing X2 last Saturday at 1:30pm. I got the worst of it...the theater experience almost ruined the movie. I had some lady who brought her 4 kids behind us, constantly kicking the chairs and moving around...a pack of 13 year old kids who kept talking, laughing, and calling each other '*****', and some guy to the left of us who smelled like showers run away from him.

It was horrible. Daytime matinees are the way to go.
Old 05-16-03, 04:05 PM
Banned

I used to work at a theater, usher. People would come up to us all the time and tell us these people are being rude/annyoing/loud/drunk/having sex and we would always come in and stop it. The majority of people hate the snorers, someone just has to step up and tell us. Also throw away your trash after you see the movie. YOU SLOBS!
Old 05-16-03, 04:27 PM
Banned

Re: I wish some people would just stay home.

Originally posted by Pillowhead
I went to the Matrix: Reloaded last night. Packed house and this couple sits behind me and my friend. About 1/3 of the way into the movie I hear snoring. The guy is sleeping and his snoring is loud and gurgly. This goes on for a period of time and then he wakes up and starts coughing.

His wife leaves comes back. Leaves comes back. repeat repeat repeat. Everytime his wife comes back he loudly tells her what happened while she was away all those times.

Towards the end of the film the lady starts sighing and yawning loudly.

If you are tired don't go to the movies. Just stay home or if you get tired leave. Get your money back if you can. Don't ruin someone else's time.
It's obvious that they were getting bored to death of the film. Just a waste of money to go see a movie that you don't want to see.
Old 05-16-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Rocky, I thought you were going away for a while...what happened?
Old 05-16-03, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tarantino
Hey Rocky, I thought you were going away for a while...what happened?
I'm using someone else's computer that has internet access while my new house don't. I don't post as much here anymore.
Old 05-16-03, 04:45 PM

I can't even count the number of movies I've seen in theaters and had the experience tainted by inconsiderate people.

The last time was when I went to see TTT. The place was pretty packed, but most of the crowd kept quite and well-behaved. Except there was a guy and his kid sitting next to me. The kid had never seen FOTR and so I had to listen to either his father telling him about it or the kid asking when it would be over. At least the people who brought the baby had the compassion to take it out of the theater when it started crying (although obviously it never should have been there in the first place).

I did once rip some guy's cell phone out of his hand and threw it to the back of the theater by the door. He was pissed, but I'm kind of psycho looking in real life (in that Christopher Lambert as Highlander kind of way) so he just left mumbling insults. Half the theater applauded me (mostly the teens), but that also made it so I couldn't hear the movie which made the whole cell phone thing kind of pointless.
Old 05-16-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
why oh why do people kick the seats? what does it do for them? is it comfortable for them to kick seats?

i had a seat-kicker when i saw X2 recently. and it wasn't a kid! it was an adult woman! i turned around, stared at her... and she stopped. for good. i guess she didn't want to draw the ire of a 6'8" 250 lb. guy...
Old 05-16-03, 04:59 PM
Retired

Well, I guess I'm just not as judgemental as you guys.

He had the courtesy to take the call outside, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you see a movie on opening day, you have to really want to see it (or got drug there by someone who did) or you wouldn't fight the crowd. Given that he had his phone on, I'd say it's likely that he was expecting (or knew there was a chance) he'd get an important call of some sort but wasn't going to let that keep him from seeing a movie he was dying to see.

I don't hate people like a lot of people around here seem to.
Old 05-16-03, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You think snoring is bad? I went to the 10PM Matrix showing on Wednesday night. Sitting behind me were three teenagers, about 15-16 years old. Two of them kept talking all through the previews, while the third continuously told them to shut up. Once the movie started, the two talkers decided to take off their shoes and rest their feet on the top of the chairs next to my friend and I. They had their smelly feet up there for the entire movie and did not stop talking either. Then, to make matters worse, in the middle of the movie, one of them started farting, causing his two friends to start yelling and waving their arms in the air.
Old 05-16-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino
The only time I'll ever go to the theater is during the week, in the morning. At this time, most people are at work and most kids are in school.
Old 05-16-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't hate people like a lot of people around here seem to.
I just hate idiotic people who ruin other's , including my, enjoyment of films (concerts, restaurants etc...).

How hard is it to:

*Turn off your cell phone
*Get a babysitter
*Not go to a film if you are tired
*Not kick a chair
*Keep your bodily functions under control
*Keep your damn mouth shut for 2 hours and just stare
*Be courteous to others around you, especially if they are paying their hard earned money to get some enjoyment out of the movie experience.

It just sucks that those who behave themselves during a film are the ones who should wait a few more weeks after a film's release so the lunkheads are finished with their field trips to the movies.

It's ridiculous how horrible people are to each other. It makes me sick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.