Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix Reloaded - just how bad is it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 08:39 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, the advance reviews are coming in - and they are not kind. Ratings of 4, 5 and 6 out of 10 are not uncommon, and I have read at least one place that it was compared to the Phantom Menace of the Matrix franchise...

Essentially, all the reviews say the same thing - a lame sequel with great CGI, and a lot, lot of talk.

anybody see this yet? is it really that bad?
Old 05-14-03, 08:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"Wrong forum" says Roger Ebert

"Try a search!" complains Steven Roeper
Old 05-14-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Groucho

cinemaman, I was really looking forward to this being a good sequel....
Old 05-14-03, 08:55 PM
Registered

It's not a bad film, just a disapointing one. As a turn your brain off popcorn superhero movie it's a lot of fun. But it fails to meet the expectations set by the first film and all the damn hype that has gone on these past few months for the second.
Old 05-14-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Zero story, great action. Total popcorn flick.
Old 05-14-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
hmm, well maybe I'll be entertained this time around, as the original did nothing for me.
Old 05-14-03, 09:56 PM

RottenTomatoes has it at an average rating of 7.2 and a "Cream of the Crop" average of 6.9 where the original was 8 and 7.1 respectively.

To me that says two things: First, if 4, 5 and 6 out of 10 aren't uncommon, then 8, 9 and 10 are equally common... And, second, if you liked the first one, there's a good chance you'll like this one almost as much...
Old 05-14-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen the film, and I felt like a lot of the reviewers are dead, dead wrong. Great film. Go see it.
Old 05-15-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Horrible film. Good lord. Go see monkeys throw pooh for 10 bucks instead.
Old 05-15-03, 01:12 AM

I really enjoyed the film. Very thought provoking and alot of great action scenes. Was it as good as the first one? No. Was it better than anything else I have seen this year? Easily.
Old 05-15-03, 01:29 AM

Was it better than anything else I've seen this year? No. X-men 2 was better.

I consider myself a matrix fan. And while I thought Reloaded was just o.k. I mean, I don't hate it. It just wasn't all that great. I thought the pacing was bad, all of the fights had no danger in them, even morpheus seems god-like now with no trouble spots like he got into in the first matrix, and gone is the brilliant cinamatography of the first. It's just one weirdly paced film beggining to end. Talking, action, back to zion, some more action. . . while impressive. (If you're not fighting 1: bad guys or 2: someone who actually has a chance to kill you 3: it's just not as fun to watch since you know how it's going to turn out).

Just expect to see some cool fighing you might dig, and have some thoughts provoked but don't expect The Matrix to "wow you" to a higher level. It won't.
Old 05-15-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It isn't bad at all. Kick-ass action scenes. I'd watch it again if they took out all that damn dialogue.
Old 05-15-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by tygloalex
Horrible film. Good lord. Go see monkeys throw pooh for 10 bucks instead.

Don't waste your time listening to nimrod reviews like this, it ain't anywhere near as bad as what people say. Just keep your expectations at the level of popcorn fare and you will like it.
The mixed reviews of this movie really brings to light something that I find real alarming nowadays with summer flicks. If you want to be a popcorn blockbuster, you must be totally devoid of intelligence with action from the word "go." This movie gave plenty of action and lots of brainy stuff too IMO. However, I find it discouraging that people will be disappointed because they don't want intelligence. but slam-bang action and vice-versa. It seems that today a movie must be either 100% intellecutal or 100% action to get an audience. I think that's sad.
Old 05-15-03, 02:07 AM

Choice is an illusion, some of that stuff is pretty unaceptable inside the matrix or not. Atleast in the Matrix 1 they stayed within reality (pardon the pun) of physics and in the same universe of thought and possibilities that humanity resides in. They're in outerspace now with their bla blah.
Old 05-15-03, 02:26 AM
Banned

Also came back from a 10PM showing. Enjoyed it very much. However, it's far from perfect and in many ways also deserving of some of the criticism it's been receiving.

The movie is VERY entertaining AT TIMES, with an incredible chase sequence, and some very good action. However, I thought they dragged on a lot of fight scenes and the magic wasn't there anymore, something was missing and a lot of the film felt mechanical and routine. The rave scene was annoyingly long, and a lot of fight scenes just got old. A good way to put it is that you felt like you could have looked away for two minutes and you really wouldn't have missed anything; the sense of urgency and excitement was gone, instead, something routine and rehearsed. Punch punch, block block, kick, dodge this, etc. Of course, all fight scenes are like this, but something was missing, I can't quite put my finger on it. The audience was silent the whole time, and this is supposed to be an early showing!

There is a lot of jargon and philosophy talk throughout the film which people kind of zoned out on (especially near the end in a pivotal scene), but it's definitely WORTH watching. Maybe not worth the hype, but definitely worth watching. (I doubt twice though at least for me)

Last edited by UKingdom; 05-15-03 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 02:50 AM

I feel the same way. I ususally watch action flicks twice. I saw X-men 2 twice, I even say fellowship of the ring 7 times in theaters. But I have no desire to see reloaded a second time in theaters. I do however, look foward to the DVD. I still like it. But you put it so well in a way which I couldn't. It DID seem routine like the fights were there just to be there to give them a chance to up the ante, not that they needed to be there. I also agree something tha made the Matrix great is gone, whatever kind of magic it was, I do not know. Maybe part of it is that it is not new anymore. <-- which doesn't make sense to me because for me atleast Attack of the Clones had the magic I felt Phantom Menace didn't. And Clones is a sequel just as Reloaded is.
Old 05-15-03, 02:55 AM

Could be I feel that the pacing was wrong. It just seemed to skip from scene to scene ubrubtivly. They were trying to tell too much to quickly. Where Matrix 1 took it's time, Reloaded was as neo, flying at light speed. Not alot of pausing for thought in this one. That could be another small part of it.
Old 05-15-03, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought the movie was great. I was not bothered by pacing or the dialogue. I would go into this movie exoecting a good action movie with some interesting ideas on fate and choice.
Old 05-15-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very good movie but don't expect it to answer very many questions you had from the first one... Expect it though to give you like 40 more questions that hopefully will be cleared up later
Old 05-15-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
UKingdom's take on this movie is EXACTLY how i felt, but couldn't explain.
Old 05-15-03, 07:23 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I'm saving my full judgment until after the conclusion. Luckily we only have to wait a few months. Seeing as how the original is my all time favorite movie, I had this one built up way too much.
Old 05-15-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok movie. The rave scene was way too long and almost uncessary. I'll have to see it again in the upcoming days/weeks to even begin to understand some of the intricacies of the story. Worth the watch and I'll be buying it....but not as good as the original.
Old 05-15-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You shouldn't have to enter the Matrix Reloaded with your brain thinking that this is only a popcorn movie! That's the biggest problem w/it. It's not that bad, just over-hyped. Yes, the fights were sweet and the highway chase was cool, but everything else was boring. The rave scene was stupid-sentinels are coming w/in 36 hours says the Moses-like Morpheus, and then begin to dance???? No wonder they all got killed at the end.

I'm sure this movie might be better once we've seen Revolutions, but it should'nt be like that. Played like a middle act (which it is), but should play like a stand alone film.

In a month, people will have forgotten about this. X2 was waaaayyyy better, so will the Hulk.
Grade of a "B-".
Old 05-15-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
That long ass speech by the Frenchmen almost put me to sleep.
Old 05-15-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm saving my full judgment until after the conclusion. Luckily we only have to wait a few months. Seeing as how the original is my all time favorite movie, I had this one built up way too much

i feel this is a cop-out.
why do i say this? Because Part 3 is basically in the can. if the two were meant to be one 'experience with an intermission', then damnit thats the way it should have been released.
and if that wasn't the game plan, then Reloaded should have structurally been a more satisfying whole unto itself, which Revolutions then would further elaborate or expand upon - or invalidate if there were foreshadowing for it.

I realize how odious it is to bring up another franchise in a Matrix thread, but one reason ESB is beloved by many, myself included, is because it proceeds from the previous film, using that as a solid foundation, and expands, elaborates, and embellishes that narrative, while at the same time taking it in new direction, setting up new stakes, developing character, etc
and while it may end with several plot threads unresolved, the film still feels emotionally whole. it is "to be continued" but there is still a sense that some arc has been achieved.
the reason i absolutely detest ROTJ on the other hand, is because rather than proceeding on everything that has come before, it 'resets' the program by invalidating several key points
-there is no need for a love triangle resolution because she is your sister- being the biggest offender.
i don't have to factor in the banality of ROTJ to declare the beauty , craftsmanship ,value & satisfaction of ESB.

intricate & clever, which TMR has in abundance, does not neccesarily = emotionally stirring.

The Matrix is still cool alright, although for some of us, it passes that and becomes so cold that its hard to muster much concern over the events, characters, and dilemnas they face.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-15-03 at 10:02 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.