Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Matrix Reloaded Reviews and Thoughts thread (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Your thoughts on The Matrix Reloaded
52.08%
36.46%
7.29%
I have no intrest at all
4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

The Official Matrix Reloaded Reviews and Thoughts thread (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
Question for everyone:

Why did this deserve an R rating?

Some sheer top, slo-mo boobies during the dancing?

The semi-nude, no body parts showing sex scene?

The fight scenes that are pretty tame when it comes to blood?

Other than some cussing [which wasn't much], I can't think why this film garnered an R rating when it was on par with Daredevil in terms of violence and Titanic showed more of Kate Winslett than Carrie Anne-Moss.
Old 05-15-03, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know they only touched on the "TRAITOR" very little...yet when at the end of the movie they Play up the music huge to show this other guy in the coma...Ok...what we know...We know that he tried to Kill Neo at Zion and he also cut himself with the knife he was about to use, We know he was the only survivor at the "Double Cross" between the machines attacking Zion and he is now in a coma....They state that an EMP went off and destroyed 5 ships and it was a slaughter. Perhaps the EMP that went off was this guy...a lot like Neo at the end stopping the machines......If this "Real World" is some kind of 2nd Matrix...Who is this guy? Is he also a powerful being like Neo who sees the world has it is? Could he be Agent Smith in "Disguise" after he hardlined? Is he just a human who has sided with the machines, not unlike Cypher? I'm not sure whether he is Pure Human or if he was pulled from the matrix...I need to rewatch for possible clues...

Bruce
Old 05-15-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
The guy at the end was Agent Smith in one of his replicated forms disguised as a human.
Old 05-15-03, 12:56 PM

I also just thought about how everyone keeps refering to when Neo used his "Powers" at the end. If you really think about it...he used his powers in the very beginning too....He keeps dreaming of a Future that takes place in the Matrix and it is EXACTLY as it happens....That to me seems like a pretty BIG power to have....

Bruce
Old 05-15-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by DVD007
I also just thought about how everyone keeps refering to when Neo used his "Powers" at the end. If you really think about it...he used his powers in the very beginning too....He keeps dreaming of a Future that takes place in the Matrix and it is EXACTLY as it happens....That to me seems like a pretty BIG power to have....
Is it really the future? Or have the events happened the same exact way each of the previous 5 times the machines have gone thru this process to save themselves and the images he sees are ingrained into his programmed memory?
Old 05-15-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well...he can't choose his dreams, a slight drawback to having your dreams come true. Plus...
Spoiler:
I wouldn't say Neo's dream comes EXACTLY true either. Trinity's leap doesn't end with her landing on a car but in Neo's arms instead.
Old 05-15-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
The guy at the end was Agent Smith in one of his replicated forms disguised as a human.
Yeah, that's what I got too.... but I have to ask... how the hell could that logically happen.... I understand that if you die in the matrix, your mind makes it real, but how could a computer program take over someone's brain... once that guy got unplugged from the system, I would think that Smith would have no sway over him...anyone care to explain how this could work?? (just wondering...i realize it's a sci fi movie, and that's nitpicking, but it's been bugging me...)

MATT
Old 05-15-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
The hint at the end where Neo exhibits Matrix-like abilities outside the Matrix does make for the Matrix-within-the-Matrix scenario very possible. It gives off that nifty "dreams meets artificial intelligence" vibe, or goes into that world of "do robots/machines dream".
I'm interested to see where this goes, but I don't think that it is a Matrix within a matrix...

I think that when Neo chose door number 2 (instead of 1, like he was destined to) he created some sort of link with the machines, or some kind of anomaly... he now is directly linked with the matrix because he knows it's secrets (or something to this effect)... so when he stops the sentinels, it's an offshoot of this new found control... he somehow has become even more powerful, when in the realworld, because of his new knowledge and link to the mainframe... ok... i have no idea...

MATT
Old 05-15-03, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Is it really the future? Or have the events happened the same exact way each of the previous 5 times the machines have gone thru this process to save themselves and the images he sees are ingrained into his programmed memory?

See, I don't buy any of the deal with them going through it 5 times before unless the "Real World " is also a Matrix, because if that were true, how do the humans continue to rebuild Zion all 5 times exactly the same...If the system is rebooted, fine...but that should not effect Zion at all...And if you get into the whole programmed memory theory, would it not just be easier on the machines to have the whole system rebooted every 98 years....
Old 05-15-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I would say that it is a human, known in the "real world" and who was tapped into the Matrix when Agent Smith grabbed the phone and hardlined. Smith then downloaded himself into the man's brain and took him over. The cutting of his own hand could mean that 1) the actual human component is resisting in some way and causing him to be mentally unstable or 2) Smith was just curious and proving to himself that he really is flesh and blood.
Old 05-15-03, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
Well...he can't choose his dreams, a slight drawback to having your dreams come true. Plus...
Spoiler:
I wouldn't say Neo's dream comes EXACTLY true either. Trinity's leap doesn't end with her landing on a car but in Neo's arms instead.
In regards to that:
Spoiler:

In the dream, you never see that it is specifically Trinity that lands on the car. Something (someone?) does, but its not explicitly shown that its her. Then, when Neo swoops in and rescues her, you still see something hitting the car - it's the agent, or the body that the agent was inhabiting.
Old 05-15-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD007
See, I don't buy any of the deal with them going through it 5 times before unless the "Real World " is also a Matrix, because if that were true, how do the humans continue to rebuild Zion all 5 times exactly the same
Well, you did notice that the council consisted of exactly 20 old people, 13 women and 7 men, right?

Ok, maybe it didn't ... I can't remember the numbers either way ... but it was damn close
Old 05-15-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, finally back from seeing the film a second time.

If you pay attention, what the architect says is pretty clear (in a convoluted way in terms of words, but not really the ideas).

For the architect, the Matrix is like Groundhog Day where they are presently on the 6th reboot of the system.

The 1st was too perfect, too antiseptic, and in the end, the humans plugged into the Matrix just didn't meshed well living in a utopia, and caused people to just "veg", which probably doesn't produce a whole lot of power for the machines.

So after the first reload, an anomaly was spawned in the form of Neo, and upon sucessive reloads, the need to wipe the slate clean keep materializing because the humans kept getting smarter and smarter in dealing with the Matrix, and the Matrix makes adjustments in the programming code to find that perfect balance to keep the humans happy, but not too happy. It seems that this anomaly, Neo, keeps bringing humans to the brink of success, so at the crucial moment, the machines are forced to lay the smackdown on the "real" humans who have escaped to Zion.

Neo, in his various incarnations, seems to keep repeating the same pattern given the "choice" at the time where the denizens of Zion are able, like rats in a maze, to find a way to defeat the Matrix upon each reload. But Neo keeps getting smarter, and cuts to the chase a lot quicker when the inevitable meeting between Neo and the Architect takes place.

Neo #6 is given the choice of 2 doors, the first door would give him access to the Source code for the Matrix, and cause the reboot of the process all over again, starting with just (I think) 16 females, 7 males to re-populate the human race while the Machines are prepared to exist under low energy levels in the interim, but the cost is giving up on love and Trinity. The second door leads Neo back to the Matrix where Neo has a shot to save Trinity, but at the expense of dooming Zion as the Machines march on to destroy Zion, and as the Architect stated, the Machines are getting very good at nuking Zion back to the stone age.

As always, the choice is always made (in a pre-destined manner) simply because Neo is human and fairly predictable in terms of human nature, filled with an imperfect decision making process grossly affected by that irrational attribute that all humans possess: Love - selfless love for another human, and the willingness to sacrifice all they can offer to protect that other human they love so dearly.

Hope is the why that Neo uses to fuel his choice, and it is what separates him and humans from the machines, and keeps his humanity intact. Hope will always lead him to door #2. Perhaps the machines are willing to wait until they succeed in filtering out human nature from the anomaly known as Neo, with each and every reboot. What the machines have underestimated is that this 6th incarnation of Neo has steadily been gaining more and more control of not only the virtual environment inside the Matrix, but his "real" self is now developing control outside in the "real" world. This is the evolutionary step that the Machines did not count on, and this is what will make the difference in The Matrix Revolutions.

The clock is ticking for Neo and company, there's only 24 hours left before the Machines pull the plug on the physical "real" world for all those in Zion, the last refuge of the humans.

You do have to wonder if on this current go-around, having Neo #6 create or liberate Smith in such a way that the former Agent Smith now has the means to physically infiltrate the "real" world in the guise of Bane, and wrecks havoc from the inside, that in the process of being absorbed by Neo in the first film, and then imploded violently, the whole process lent sentience to this new form of intellience that existed as basically a subroutine inside the Matrix which patrolled for human hackers, and now totally a free agent (pardon the pun) inside and now outside the Matrix. Agent Smith should have just accepted deletion from the Matrix, but he held on and spurned the recycle bin of the Matrix. This happenstance (Neo/Smith merger/implosion)might have also contributed to providing that human elemental spark to this new form of artificial intelligence which is manifested in the form of Smith. And the scary thing is that, unlike any other entity inside the Matrix, Smith is basically a virus, taking over hosts entities, and creating his own group consciousness inside the Matrix. Smith, in his virus-like ways of making copies of himself, will overrun the Matrix if left uncheck, and this is bad news for humans that he absorbs/converts while inside the Matrix for his means.

The flipside is that Neo's physical brain might have gotten juiced by this merge/implode process with Agent Smith and this may have given him that mental boost which allows him to generate EMF at times of crisis (as evidenced by the end of this film). So both of them might have created the catalyst for evolutionary leaps in abilities/capabilities for each of them.

So Neo and company will be fighting a battle on both fronts. What's ironic is that Agent Smith considered humans to be a virus in the first film (overpopulation, creating a world where the resouces ran dry), but he has now become the most deadly of viruses on the inside of the Matrix.

Neo will have to figure out how to permanently stop the Machines on the outside world, and reclaim control of the planet, and then deal with rescuing the humans still jacked into the Matrix with Smith in the way because he's probably liking the power he is accumulating inside the Matrix far too much to let it slip away (which means he'll have to use Bane as the vessel for sabotage while Neo and company try to find a way to save Zion from the Machines, and to find a way to wrestle control over the Machines again).

One more thing, some people seem to think that after Bane cuts the "11" into his left palm, yielding blood on his left hand, while on his way to stab Neo in the back (only to be thwarted by the lapdog of Neo's who yells for the crew to stop so he can give Neo the spoon). Bane hides the knife (holding it with his left hand), and then there's a handshake between Neo and Bane, but it appears that Neo offers his right hand to shake Bane's right hand, and you alway don't see any blood transferred from Bane's left hand to his right hand, so I am not as sure that this is how Neo got his special powers that he so niftily demonstrated at the end of the film to zap the sentinels. But, I mean, I guess it's possible that the blood had something to do with it, but it's just not really explicitly shown, so it's conjecture until the next film.

Okay, my brain hurts. Buh-bye.

Last edited by Patman; 05-15-03 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't quite get why the directors had it written into their contracts that they would not do publicity for the film or talk to the press, but after having seen the film I understand completely. They knew ahead of time that there were gonna be millions of questions asked about this and that and they just got out of having to answer them.
Old 05-15-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Here is Kurk Wimmer's (writer/director of Equlibrium) take on Reloded:

"I guess it's pretty obvious by now that the world that has been pulled over Neo's eyes is not the lie of the Matrix, but the lie of there being a Matrix at all.

The idea that the Matrix was created to make us comfortable in our existences is a lie created to make Neo (who is not human at all) (in fact, there are no humans anywhere in these films)(nor are there any machines, for that matter, with the exception of the movie itself) comfortable in his 'mission' by giving him first an illusory self-awareness and then the illusion of something to fight for. However, his mission is not preordained by 'destiny' - it comes down from on high and if Neo were aware of the true nature of his mission (self-deletion), the unpredictability factor of the mathematical anomaly that he is would possibly cause him to turn his back on it.

Neo is not human. Rather, he is a virus that the system seeks to root out. However, he is a spontaneously generated virus that has arisen from mathematical instability. Thus, he is chaotic and unpredictable, difficult to track down, difficult to isolate and difficult to delete.

He is, by virtue of his random and unpredictable nature, the spontaneous evolution of a program for something previously unknown in the mathematical universe - pure choice.

In terms of lower mathamatics true 'choice', which is the same as 'unpredictability' is anathema and an inherent, or as the film states, a systemic instability that must at all costs be removed from a balanced equation to regain and retain stability. (the Architect is quite clear on this)

At the end of the day, it's not that there is no spoon - it's that there is no Matrix; there are no human farms; there are no humans - there never were any humans; they are just a fiction invented by the 'program' (at this point it becomes pointless to refer to it by that anthropocentric name) so all-encompassing that a better name for it would be the universe.

Mathematics is the self-ordering consciousness of the universe and this film reflects exactly that. It's a semantic difference and the Wachowskis are drawing this comparison which is both profound and simplistic at the same time.

This ultimately is the story of a lonely little spontaneously generated program called 'choice' who just happened to have a profoundly damaging effect on the balanced universe of the system in spite of its relative insignifigance and it's struggle to survive in spite of all efforts of the universal system to correct itself.

Another name for this film could be 'The Secret Life of Mathematics'."
Old 05-15-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by devilshalo
Question for everyone:

Why did this deserve an R rating?

Some sheer top, slo-mo boobies during the dancing?

The semi-nude, no body parts showing sex scene?

The fight scenes that are pretty tame when it comes to blood?

Other than some cussing [which wasn't much], I can't think why this film garnered an R rating when it was on par with Daredevil in terms of violence and Titanic showed more of Kate Winslett than Carrie Anne-Moss.
I think now a days for the most part, blood is a no no, and bullets going into people is a no no when it comes to the mpaa.
Old 05-15-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was cool that they used Highway 101 (digital) for the chase sceen.

When Morpheus was talking to the crowd in the Temple, did he say he had been around for 100 years and they had never been beaten yet by the machines?

The 100 year part was the thing I found funny. Why would he say 100 years. 100 is a only using digital digits (100 is made up of only 1's and 0's). Morph cannot be 100 years old. Was there a hidden meaning?
Old 05-15-03, 09:24 PM
Registered

Another DVD Talk Review this time from prolific reviewer Aaron Beierle:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6348
Old 05-16-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
random poorly worded thoughts

So what was the "purpose" of this movie? Good luck to anyone who goes to see this without having seen the first. Even having seen the first, it was still hard for me to care about what any of the characters were doing in this one. Didn't seem to be much in the way of character or plot.

What I loved about the first movie was not the action & special effects, but the way people spoke (especially Morpheus & Agent Smith -Hugo Weaving as modern day Karloff/Grinch was so much fun), the interesting dialogue & style. I think I sat there the first time throughout the whole film with a big smile on my face. There might be some good stuff in Reloaded to think about, but it's buried. The dialogue scenes are boring. They're not acted or shot in compelling ways. I'm really not interested in any of it enough to go back a second time to try to see what I missed. That's disappointing. & unfortunately much of the big Architect scene at the end was lost on me because I got so distracted by all the monitors that I wasn't paying much attention to what was being said.

The original was such a pleasure for me from beginning to end while this one just has moments. The car chase is good. I had read people say that you could miss the first hour & come in & you wouldn't miss much. I'd say it's more like you could miss the first hour & 20 minutes. It wasn't until Morpheus pulled out the samurai sword that the movie really had me. I liked the ghost fx on the twins. But a fight in a car? That was a little dopey.

During some of the early slo-mo & especially during the tribal-rave-love-scene I had the thought that The Matrix is now very ripe for parody. I hope we don't get a horrible Leslie Nielsen movie out of this. I think they really embarrassed themselves with that rave scene. Is anyone anywhere going to think that's cool?

What is the latest on possible Superman movies? I imagine the studio execs creaming themselves to rush a movie out there as soon as possible. I got so depressed when I heard Brendan Fraser was even in the running that I stopped paying attention. He's nothing but a big doofus. Keanu with his cape-like coat worked perfectly. I hope they realize they don't need too big of a guy. Interesting that I kind of felt the bros. screwed up the Matrix but nailed Superman. Those flying scenes which I thought would be silly from the commercials were really well done & fun. Definitely made me want to see a Superman movie - though I don't think one would be anywhere near as good as those short scenes .

& damnit! How many Matrix movies do I have to watch before I get to hear Parliament's "Theme From The Black Hole" during the end credits!? The music I had to sit through to see the trailer!!
"My name is the one
Some people call me the funk

Here's a toast to the boogie!"

Another problem - everyone in the movie had seen the first one. How ridiculous was that early scene with everyone standing around trying to look cool in the dark with their leather & sunglasses...

Last edited by Lokimok; 05-16-03 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-16-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to single out the fantastic shot in the chase where the camera appears to go under a big truck & keep on going. Thrilling!

There was also an interesting overhead shot of the keymaker quickly going through a series doors. I actually wish they'd drawn more attention to it & made it more beautiful, but I guess they wanted to keep the action going.
Old 05-16-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey did anyone notice how many times during the architect dialogue neo passed through the monitor screen. I can remember at least 5 maybe six passes. Maybe they are trying to say the program was rebooting right then and there until we got to Neo6's "choice". Maybe I'm just reading into it to much but that stuck out to me, anyone else?
Old 05-16-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, each screen on the monitor seemed to represent a possible choice Neo could make. Once he made that choice, we flew into that screen since all other choices are now nonexistent.
Old 05-16-03, 07:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i enjoyed the film but I do not want to rate it until i see it a few more times. Loved the freeway chase scene, most of the smith fight, monica bellucci and her husband were great, especialley her husband, twins, trinity's arrival in the begining, and the story most importantly was fascinating and evolving and still evolving. Overall though, not as good as the matrix, but what sequel ever is except maybe empire strikes back, terminator 2 was the one sequel to a great movie that i was like maybe this is truly better and bigger. but bigger is not always better.
and godfather pt 2 star trek 2 does not count 1 was so bad.

I have only four small problems with this movie
1. zion dance/rave whatever you want to call it
the scene was weird, too long, where were the older people why was everyone so young but the counsel was old It was a very badly done scene

2. neo's fight with a 100 smiths, some of the cgi in this scene is embarassingly bad, part of the scene is great but there are time when keanu was replace by cgi neo and it is obvious and terrible same with cgi smith

3. some of the editing in this movie is awful at the very begining and especialley at the end. things are jumping around like crazy and it is extremely hard to follow i do not want to go into too much detail but whos being attacked where they are and what neo is told are all very confusing and i am a very smart person and if i can not figure it out that means 99.9 percent of the people have no idea what is going on though only 10 percent will admit it. i guess that is what the dvd is for.

4. neo can fly why doesn't he fly away when he is in trouble, he can change the matrix why doesn't , i understand it would be a boring movie if all neo needed to do was fly into the agents like he did at the end of the first movie to kill them, that was a fear of mind about this movie neo being too powerful, but you must give the audience more of a reason why he can't encryption or like they said in one part upgrades, give aus a logical reason
They also never really leaving or entering the matrix like the first movieat times which causes confusion in certain scenes

Hey, i still liked this movie a lot but i need to see it a few more times to tell how much but it is not perfect like the first movie

Last edited by sabre; 05-16-03 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-16-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I've seen the movie once, and there was so much information thrown at me in the last 20 minutes, I think my brain might have shut down. Can anyone elaborate if Zion was destroyed? I'm thinking it wasn't (at least not yet) because I remember something about Neo saying they had 24 hours. But Agent Smith in human disguise set off an EMP "too early" destroying five ships. Weren't those ships stationed in Zion protecting it?

I'm confused.
Old 05-16-03, 07:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by sabre
i enjoyed the film but I do not want to rate it until i see it a few more times. Loved the freeway chase scene, most of the smith fight, monica bellucci and her husband were great( reminding the viewer of brothers w of their bound days but more sexual then one would have thought for this movie or maybe appropriate for this movie), especialley her husband, twins, trinity's arrival in the begining, and the story most importantly was fascinating and evolving and still evolving. Overall though, not as good as the matrix, but what sequel ever is except maybe empire strikes back, terminator 2 was the one sequel to a great movie that i was like maybe this is truly better and bigger. but bigger is not always better.
and godfather pt 2 star trek 2 does not count 1 was so bad.

I have only four small problems with this movie
1. zion dance/rave whatever you want to call it
the scene was weird, too long, where were the older people why was everyone so young but the counsel was old It was a very badly done scene

2. neo's fight with a 100 smiths, some of the cgi in this scene is embarassingly bad, part of the scene is great but there are time when keanu was replace by cgi neo and it is obvious and terrible same with cgi smith

3. some of the editing in this movie is awful at the very begining and especialley at the end. things are jumping around like crazy and it is extremely hard to follow i do not want to go into too much detail but whos being attacked where they are and what neo is told are all very confusing and i am a very smart person and if i can not figure it out that means 99.9 percent of the people have no idea what is going on though only 10 percent will admit it. i guess that is what the dvd is for.

4. neo can fly why doesn't he fly away when he is in trouble, he can change the matrix why doesn't , i understand it would be a boring movie if all neo needed to do was fly into the agents like he did at the end of the first movie to kill them, that was a fear of mind about this movie neo being too powerful, but you must give the audience more of a reason why he can't encryption or like they said in one part upgrades, give aus a logical reason
They also never really leaving or entering the matrix like the first movieat times which causes confusion in certain scenes

Hey, i still liked this movie a lot but i need to see it a few more times to tell how much but it is not perfect like the first movie

If the machines/programers know that all persons do not accept the matrix 9only 99 percent or something like that) they have to have somewhere to put those people so they do not destroy the entire matrix, that place is the real world/zion. how else would they have rebuilt zion 5 times, i think the counselor made the choice last time and made the wrong one and was trying to influence neo to chose the other without him saying anything. Neo can control things in the real world because the real world is another matrix, smith can enter that world because its another matrix. smith was trying to infect neo that is why he cut his hand to spread his virus to him. i guess we will see

Last edited by sabre; 05-16-03 at 08:28 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.