Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-03, 04:42 PM   #1
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,408
on R-rated movies

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/13/news...ated/index.htm
__________________
'...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.'
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-03, 05:43 PM   #2
LBPound
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 16,666
Good read, thanks for posting. It's getting to the point where the studios think the rating is as important as the product. It's NOT.

The product is ultimately what gets people in theaters, maybe not as many of the pre-teens who loooove to go to the movies. But in the business of making movies, that's a huge slap to the artform to make changes to get a PG-13.

And so far this year, as in every year since 2000, it seems like EVERY movie is PG-13. Somewhat refreshing to see R films are on the way, but then, with all films made with a rating in mind from the get-go, one hopes they're not just adding stuff to get an R-rating as part of the plan.

Still, Terminator 3 and Matrix Reloaded will bring in the big money, and hopefully studios will get ballsy enough to not fear the R.
__________________
ultimatedisney.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-03, 07:22 PM   #3
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,794
As an aspiring director, I'd never cut my product to get a PG-13 rating as opposed to an R.
__________________

XBox Live - Kleeberg
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-03, 08:55 PM   #4
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 20,027
If they have to do this, I'd almost suggest that the studios and directors start shooting multiple versions of movies: PG-13 for theatrical release and R/Unrated for home video.

On one hand, it's a compromise, but in the end, every movie will ultimately live on and reach more people on video than in its theatrical runs.

Its almost like theatrical runs are already compromised: the theaters underlight the bulbs, the sound is often bad, the images are mis-framed and shown out of focus, there's print damage, distruptive audiences, and the theatrical showings are over-regulated by the ratings.

It seems like certain people are just going nuts over the possibility that under seventeens are going to go to an R-rated move. What's to keep the same kids from watching the same R-rated movie on cable or watching it on video at a friend's house? Short of outright censorship, there's no way to prevent kids from watching R-rated or NC-17 movies. Let the bluenoses get their panties wadded over theatrical showings and throw them that bone. And let me watch my unrated movies in peace on DVD.
__________________
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-03, 08:59 PM   #5
Michael T Hudson
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 10,975
Quote:
Originally posted by LBPound
Good read, thanks for posting. It's getting to the point where the studios think the rating is as important as the product. It's NOT.

The product is ultimately what gets people in theaters, maybe not as many of the pre-teens who loooove to go to the movies. But in the business of making movies, that's a huge slap to the artform to make changes to get a PG-13.

And so far this year, as in every year since 2000, it seems like EVERY movie is PG-13. Somewhat refreshing to see R films are on the way, but then, with all films made with a rating in mind from the get-go, one hopes they're not just adding stuff to get an R-rating as part of the plan.

Still, Terminator 3 and Matrix Reloaded will bring in the big money, and hopefully studios will get ballsy enough to not fear the R.

I agree with you. I posted this same articel in a post about last weekends gross. There is also a thread about this same topic in the Matrix sub forum. Some of my favorite movies like Heat are R and some ate PG like Raiders.
__________________
Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-03, 09:10 PM   #6
Dr. DVD
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 20,305
I seem to remember back in the late 70s and early 80s that it was not uncommon for movies to get two versions of a film. A PG version to run at matinees, and an R to run at night. Films that spring to mind are Excalibur and Saturday Night Fever.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 09:15 AM   #7
Ketamine
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: KS
Posts: 3,164
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarantino
As an aspiring director, I'd never cut my product to get a PG-13 rating as opposed to an R.
Too bad you likely wouldn't have the last word. The almightly dollar is the true boss and the director is down a ways on the list of importance. The studio will force most directors to make changes if they think it will help their bottom line. Why do you think there are so many director's cuts on dvd out there? B/C the director didn't get what he wanted in the final product.
__________________
Killing in the Name Of

That which you don't understand, you can make mean anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 09:24 AM   #8
Groucho
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 67,062
Quote:
Originally posted by Ketamine
Too bad you likely wouldn't have the last word.
Yep, unless he plans to only make independents...and even then cuts might be necessary if you want wide distribution. Very very few director's have final cut in the studio system today. Spielberg, Cameron, and a handful more.
__________________
Xbox Live: Runner Groucho
PSN: RunnerGroucho

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 10:38 AM   #9
Dr. DVD
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 20,305
Quote:
Originally posted by Groucho
Yep, unless he plans to only make independents...and even then cuts might be necessary if you want wide distribution. Very very few director's have final cut in the studio system today. Spielberg, Cameron, and a handful more.
Is there a complete list anywhere?
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.