Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is Matrix Rated R?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why is Matrix Rated R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts
I am glad it got an R rating. However, I think it will suffer domestically for it.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Joel Silver wanted a PG-13 and it was the MPAA not giving it to them is why it was R, not the Wachowski's campaigining for an R.

Who knows. Could it be the Wachowskis might want to actually make a sci-fi/action movie that adults can enjoy without unsupervised adolescents running around and shooting off their mouths during the flick? (GASP!!!!) Heaven forbid we get a theater without teens making out in the row in front of you while a boy delivers a mule kick to another one in the aisleways with all of the girls running to the restroom in packs of 20 or more blocking your view all the way.

ricwhite: I am not making cracks at your son. IMO, I think that if he has seen the first one, take him to see it! My dad used to take me to see R movies when I was his (your son's) age and it really was a bonding experience. You'll be cooler in his eyes if you do it.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 05-14-03 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI, the Canadian home video rating for the first Matrix is 14A. That rating is essentially an average of the ratings of the different provinces. It's not quite the same as the U.S. PG-13, because Canada enforces the age limit, but it does mean most Canadian teens can rent it without parental supervision.

Reloaded got a 14A in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Maritime Provinces, and a 13+ in Quebec. I suspect it'll probably be 14A in Ontario too, but the Ontario Film Review Board hasn't posted it on their website yet. Again, this means a lot of Canadian teens will be able to see Reloaded without a parent.

Edward
Old 05-14-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by ricwhite
Yes, I do have a problem with an R rated movie having toys and games aimed at youngsters.
Can't disagree with you there; I'd only note that it's something with a long tradition, particularly in SciFi... Alien and Starship Troopers spring immediately to mind...
Originally posted by RoboDad
[...] I also believe that the overwhelming majority of R movies are only R because (unnecessary) content is deliberately added to make them so.
We clearly watch very different R-rated movies.
Old 05-14-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
There are so many over 17 scifi nerds out there, the toys will sell inspite - tho keep in mind they aren't aimed at youngsters (and its clearly stated on the packaging). Also - the average videogame player age is now well over 20, and now that the M-rating is being enforced at many retailers, I don't see how either of these are being aimed at youngsters.

Oh and I also never saw why The Matrix was rated R. I think the MPAA is alright with violence as long as it isn't with guns. Get some strong gunfights going and its "bad".. seeing people minced by andomandium (sp?) claws is fine though.
Old 05-15-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
There are so many over 17 scifi nerds out there, the toys will sell inspite - tho keep in mind they aren't aimed at youngsters (and its clearly stated on the packaging). Also - the average videogame player age is now well over 20, and now that the M-rating is being enforced at many retailers, I don't see how either of these are being aimed at youngsters.
Do you have a source for your statement that the average gamer is well over 20? I'm just curious.

stoolie
Old 05-15-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget, another reason for the R rating:

Spoiler:
We get to see (to my knowledge the first "virtual" female orgasm on screen.

Old 05-15-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Why is Matrix Rated R?

My twelve year old son is really disappointed that he won't be able to see this movie.
Likewise with my 12-yr-old daughter.

She loved the first film (I ok'd her to watch it after having seen it a number of times).

So, for those that have actually seen it:
-is there nudity?
-how intense is the sex scene between Keanu and Carrie?

As far as I'm concerned, the violence from the first film almost seemed cartoon-like (though exceptionally well done, obviously).
Is the level of violence in the second film similar, or more graphic?
Old 05-15-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
...I hate hitting back and having a message erased...grr..

Stoolie -
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...102.ca78c.html

-Rich
Old 05-15-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Why is Matrix Rated R?

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
-is there nudity?
Yes.
Spoiler:
You see several boobies, albeit through tight, clear vinyl shirts. And a Matrix-ized vagina. And some buttcracks. That's about it.
Old 05-15-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the movie, if anything, was LESS graphically violent than the first one. I believe there were only two gunshot wounds shown in this one, compared with the dozens of guards killed in the Lobby scene alone.

Last edited by RolloTomasi; 05-15-03 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Re: Why is Matrix Rated R?

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Likewise with my 12-yr-old daughter.

She loved the first film (I ok'd her to watch it after having seen it a number of times).

So, for those that have actually seen it:
-is there nudity?
-how intense is the sex scene between Keanu and Carrie?

As far as I'm concerned, the violence from the first film almost seemed cartoon-like (though exceptionally well done, obviously).
Is the level of violence in the second film similar, or more graphic?
I would say not much more that she would see on TRL. The movie was pretty tame for an R.
Old 05-16-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
Daredevil: PG-13 Action, Violence and Some Sexuality

Titanic: PG-13 Disaster related peril and violence, nudity, sensuality and brief language

Matrix Reloaded: R Sci-fi Violence and Some Sexuality

Go figure.

PG-13: Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This signifies that the film rated may be inappropriate for pre-teens. Parents should be especially careful about letting their younger children attend. Rough or persistent violence is absent; sexually-oriented nudity is generally absent; some scenes of drug use may be seen; one use of the harsher sexually derived words may be heard.

R: Restricted-Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian (age varies in some locations). This signifies that the rating board has concluded that the film rated contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their children to see it. An R may be assigned due to, among other things, a film's use of language, theme, violence, sex or its portrayal of drug use.

Last edited by devilshalo; 05-16-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, it would have been a much more financially successful series of movies and would have drawn a far more diverse audience if it were rated PG-13. In 2002, the top 14 money making movies were all PG-13 or under.
For the record the movie grossed more than $40 million dollars on opening day. Would it have grossed more had it been PG-13? Maybe, but I don't think Warner Brothers is going to complain at this point.

I'm also not sure why you prefaced this comment with the words "In my opinion." It's a pretty well established fact that PG-13 movies on average make more money than those rated R.
Old 05-16-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But since the trilogy IS rated R, I'm still very curious as to why they are marketing the games, posters, and toys, to the pre-teen / teenage market. Nobody addressed that aspect yet. If the Wachowski Bros. were SO adamant that the movie be an "adult" rating of R, why did they relent and have the Matrix after market spin-offs be rated lower. Shouldn't the Matrix GAME be an "M" rating??? Why didn't they fight for that???? Double standard and inconsistent.

Yes, I do have a problem with an R rated movie having toys and games aimed at youngsters.
It's called money. What are you going to do, sue them?