Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X2 News: Bryan Singer and Kelly Hu will make a public appearance in Hawaii!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know only a few of us who live in Hawaii can go to this (like Blade), but I wanted to announce that X2 director Bryan Singer will be at an public forum at the University of Hawaii this Friday, May 9, 6 p.m. at the Campus Center Ballroom. He'll be there with Kelly Hu (who is also from Hawaii) and with X2 screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris. It's free and open to the public.

Here's the press release for the event.

I just checked my work schedule and I can't go. But I'm sure others (like Blade) will want to check it out.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 05-04-03 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-05-03, 08:21 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since someone (like jarofclay73) mentioned my name twice in his post, I guess I should respond!

I heard about this and was thinking of going with some friends, but they aren't going now.

I might still go, but haven't decided yet. It sounds like it would be fun though. Too bad some Hawaii DVDTalkers (like jarofclay73) can't make it though.

Anyone else thinking of going to this?
Old 05-06-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am quite surprised that UH was able to pull secure such a fantastic event, as I consider their "Cinematic and Digital Arts" program a sad joke.
Of course in the continuing saga of my terrible timing, I won't be in Hawaii till the end of the month
(Which reminds me, are we ever going to have that second Hawaiian Otter Meat??)
Old 05-07-03, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Blade,

I actually got off work early to go to this now. I might get there late, but I really want to hear what he has to say (and maybe get an autograph or two on my X-Men DVD). I'm also curious to see how many people turn out. If nothing else is happening that night, I think I can convince at least one local TV news station to cover it. Of course, seeing Kelly Hu in person is great too.

filmerp,

Yeah, the "film school" at UH just started and is very small. But, Chris Lee used to be the president of Columbia/Tri-Star Pictures. So, he has a LOT of clout and I'm not too surprised that he could get the director, co-star and screenwriters for the #1 movie in the world right now. So, at least they'll be having some great guests coming over.
Old 05-08-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Anyone else thinking of going to this?
I think I am planning on going to this. Unless I have to take my girlfriend to get her leg X-rayed. Otherwise, I'll probably be there early, and try to get a couple DVDs autographed.
Old 05-09-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, here's an update:

The paper says Kelly Hu won't be at this Q&A forum. But, the good news is that Shawn Ashmore (Iceman) will be there. I think he had a much larger role than Hu and it would be cool to ask him questions about both X-Men movies.

Can't wait!
Old 05-09-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's pretty ironic that out of the whole cast, it's Kelly Hu who won't attend. I would have thought she was a big factor in arranging the forum, being her home town and all... Let us know how it goes fellas!
Old 05-09-03, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jarofclay73
Okay, here's an update:

The paper says Kelly Hu won't be at this Q&A forum. But, the good news is that Shawn Ashmore (Iceman) will be there. I think he had a much larger role than Hu and it would be cool to ask him questions about both X-Men movies.

Can't wait!
WHAT!?!?! She was the main reason I was going to go...now I'm not so sure.

Old 05-09-03, 02:10 PM

Kelly Hu talks about her vagina instead!

It's stinks that Miss Hu won't be there at the forum but she
will on stage in hawaii may 21-25 in the Vagina Monologues.

Any-Hu, i'll be there for the forum and it should be interesting.
Old 05-10-03, 03:39 AM
Uber Member

I got food poisoning yesterday, so I still wasn't up to going out today.

Any reports on how it went?
Old 05-10-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, was that room PACKED! I came late about 7:00pm. I couldn't get in until 7:45pm. Thankfully, I got to see the best part--a blooper reel of X2. They HAVE to put this on the DVD! I'd say it's even funnier than the Jackie Chan blooper reels, given the serious nature of X2. My friend got to see the whole thing. From what I heard, the Q&A had a lot to be desired. My friend said that about 90% of the questions had to do with the X-Men comic, which is really stupid since they didn't MAKE the comic.

I was even in the line to get autographs and they had to cut that short too. So, I went as close as possible to get pictures of Bryan Singer and the rest. When I get pictures to post, I will. I hope they came out. I don't think I got a real good picture of Singer. I got a picture of one of the screenwriters. And I couldn't get close enough to get Ashmore.

The good news is that Bryan Singer is actually an adviser of the Cinematic school at the University of Hawaii. That definitely lends more credibility to the school (although it's still in its infancy).

I can't really complain since the event was free (although I had to spend $3 for decent parking). The blooper reel was definitely worth it.

Also...Kelly Hu didn't make it to the event because she was invited to the Tonight Show with Jay Leno sorta last minute. She's NEVER been on Leno so they let her go do it. Hopefully, you guys will catch that.
Old 05-10-03, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Here's a writeup of the blooper reel:
X2 bloopers

Damn I want to see this...online or on a DVD.
Old 05-10-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
I was unable to go also because of the X-Rays. Sounds like it would have been great. C'est la vie.

We should still do the Hawaiian Otter Meat II though. Maybe someone will remember to call filmerp this time.