Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw Identity and liked it quite a bit

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw Identity and liked it quite a bit

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 10:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Watched this for the first time last night. Unfortunately, I was able to figure everything out before it happened thanks to the trailer...but I still had a good time.

I didn't recognize Rebecca DeMornay at all, so my biggest surprise was seeing her name in the end credits.
Old 09-18-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw it on DVD, liked it. Nice little flick with a cool twist. Thankfully I didn't remember anything from the trailers from May anymore so it was "fresh" in my mind.
And I noticed the "stretching" effect as well.
Old 09-29-03, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if the "stretching" effect is just something you get with anamorphically shot movies. Everyone's seen out-of-focus lights in the background of an anamorphic film, where they're vertically stretched (tall and thin rather than round). I assumed that this is the same effect: the background seems to stretch vertically when the foreground comes into focus.

On the other hand, I don't remember ever noticing this before, and I'd think I must have seen changes of focus in anamorphic movies before...
Old 09-29-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched it over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. My complaints are similar to everyone else's, but there's one thing that I was really satisfied about:

Spoiler:
Since I didn't see the twist coming and it was a shock to me, I was relieved to see that it didn't end up with the killer being some supernatural being or a monster or something along the lines of that.
Old 10-16-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another clue pointing to
Spoiler:
the kid being the killer is that poem that Malcolm writes and talks about at the beginning of the film. He says he wrote that as a kid right?

I also felt that the ending was a kind of a Clockwork Orange ending but more violent.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 10-16-03 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 10:17 PM

I watched the film together with my man. We both picked the movie because of one particular reason: John Cusack. (Well, we had other minor reasons too in fact. Cause it looked like a horror/murder movie for my man, and it looked like a movie version of Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" for me - the only Christie's book I like). We never see any trailer or read further information about this movie.

When the movie was rolling through halfway, my man commented:
Spoiler:
1. The kid looks evil. I think he is the killer, you know, like Damien The Omen.
2. It's not the same hotel. There are two hotels which looks alike. The prisoner didn't come back to the same hotel as he checked into before. That's why they can't find the dead bodies.

And my mind was full with these thoughts:
Spoiler:
1. Who will be the killer?
2. Who will be the last to survive? I wish it is Cusack, I don't want to see him die.
3. OMG, the hotel is haunted. The killer is a ghost.
4. Jeez, I really want to slap Ginny. Why should she lock herself in a bathroom and screaming forever like that in a critical moment?

There. So when the movie ended with a twist (I'd rather call it a double-twist, cause we both had a jawdrop two times), we fell into silence for a couple of minutes. Then I asked my man whether he really understood what the movie was all about. And he said no. Hehehehe ..

So I said to him (and to myself cause I felt so much cheated by this movie):
Spoiler:
Honey, it's not about murder. It's about multiple personality. It's about the imaginary identities who do the imaginary murders. It's about an effort to prevent a killer from having a death penalty.

A total different perspective. And we love the movie .

p.s.: Rebecca DeMornay?? Ha. I didn't know it was her, until I read this thread. Didn't catch the end credits.
Old 11-18-03, 11:16 PM

I thought it was pretty clever, and the movie totally had me till the first plot twist, then it sort of became too familiar, overall I would say it was pretty entertaining

6.5/10
Old 11-19-03, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this movie rocked; I thought the ending was a little lame, however.
Old 11-20-03, 08:25 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
This was my birthday movie this year, and it made me feel sad and old.
Old 11-28-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Well, I finally got around to seeing this one and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I thought everyone did a good job w/ their roles, particularly Cusack, Liotta and Peet. John C. McGinley was pretty good, too. And I always like to see cousin Stinky in a flick.

Overall - a good take on a on old formula that obviously still works.
Old 11-28-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just hated this movie so, so much. As it dawned on me what was happening I started thinking to myself
Spoiler:
if this is all in his head and none of these people are real,
I am going to be so pissed off. Sure enough, that's what it turned out to be and I somehow managed to still make it through the rest of the movie.

I guess my problem, and I have heard arguments against it but I just don't buy them, is
Spoiler:
once the characters have been revealed to just be multiple personalities inside one guy's head, why should I care about what happens to them? From that point on I just had difficulty caring what happened to anyone in the movie.

So this one, along with Anger Management, were my two least films this year. Just mentioning the title of the movie makes me grit my teeth and prepare to go into a rant on how much I hate it.
Old 11-29-03, 11:13 PM

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good mind***** movie.

The performances really were fantastic. I was especially impressed with Amanda Peet.
Old 04-03-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, boy, I'm ressurecting an old thread here. I guess that's better than starting a new one though.

Anyway, just caught this on HBO and really liked it for the most part. I saw this pretty fresh and forgot about seeing most of the stuff from the trailers. The Bday thing was only what I remembered but that didn't really do anything for me.

Here are my thoughts during and on the film:
Spoiler:
From the beginning everyone should have been aware of the multiple personality, it's kind of hard to miss. However I did miss some stuff and thought that Busey's character was the one with the MPD, and then when they showed who it really was, that was a twist for me. Soon after though, it was revealed of course that this was all in his head.

That brings me to the point of why should one care for the characters? Well I cared for them because I didn't want the killer personality to win, that was enough for me, so I was still emotionally invested in this film. I thought it was very tense throughout

Another point about how the kid could do all this, I let that fly because it was not real after all. But many have brought up the rest of the mind adhered to a certain reality, well I thought it was within the bounds. I mean if Busey's character stumbled back on the Hotel, some crazy supernatural stuff was going on, no reason we can't have a supernatural kid. That's just how I rationalized it.

My final point is that, I'm not totally sure I liked the end. I was kind of hoping the killer personality lost. I guess it was just my preference, but I would've liked a happy ending. Maybe when I see it again I'll change my mind.
Old 04-03-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had NO idea what this fim was about when I rented it a while ago. The only things I knew was that it was a thriller and that Cusack and Liotta were in it (some of my faves).

Had never seen the trailer or anything, and in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't.

I really enjoyed this one as well, and eventually bought the DVD as well. The commentary is insightful, and overall the film is a nice pick.

I did not figure out the twist or the ending until deep into the film, but honestly, I try not to in thiller films, to further heighten the entertainment aspect.

Have rewatched it several times, and enjoy it every time.
Old 04-04-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I really enjoyed it and I definately thought the twist was pretty cool. And after rewatching it I realized that the clues were all there from the beginning if you want to figure it out. Usually I try to enjoy a movie not outhink it.