Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My picks were close:

Hero - Indiana Jones
Villain - Darth Vader

I just think they were the classic characters for each.

AFI needs to learn to use SPOILER warnings! Alot of those presentations had spoilers, I was surprised they showed.
Old 06-04-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
In a sense you're right. The Fraser version of the Mummy is based on the 1933 version of the Mummy starring Karloff and Lecter in many ways is modeled on Dracula (particularly in Hanibal). Universal monsters like the Mummy and Dracula typically were a bit morally ambiguous and tragic rather than being straight forward EVIL. But he's still a villain. Just an ambiguous villain.
Just to add for fuel to this fire, it should be noted that The Mummy (1933) is essentially a remake of Dracula. Only the morally ambiguous characters have changed.
Old 06-04-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Poor Luke Skywalker, nobody loves him:

14. Han Solo, Star Wars
37. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars

That's probably not the worst ommission, just a noticable one.

I think this is one of their dumber lists (not as bad as the Thrills list, though).

After a quick list, probably my worst choice is #50 on the villains (50. Alonzo Harris, Training Day) -- I will understand all the praise for this stock role in a mediocre movie.

I think this one's funny on the villains list:
20. Man, Bambi
Is that all of us, or just the hunter guy?

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-04-03 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sernov

AFI needs to learn to use SPOILER warnings! Alot of those presentations had spoilers, I was surprised they showed.
It's assumed that people have seen these movies. They're practically institutions. If they spoiled Micheal's assasinations at the end of the Godfather for you, it's your fault not theirs.
Old 06-04-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm amazed Forrest Gump didn't make the list....and Denzel's TD character is a lame choice....Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast most assuredly should have been on there instead - one of the best villains in the last decade. And i'll add another vote for Michael Myers. Halloween was the first and still is one of the greatest slasher flicks and Myers scared the living crap out of me as a kid.....
Old 06-04-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
6. Clarice Starling, Silence of the Lambs
What is the complete and total fascination with this movie? Yes, it was very good, and Hannibal Lecter was a great character, but does every single aspect of it have to be enshrined? Clarice Starling is more heroic than Luke Skywalker? Give me a freakin' break!
Old 06-04-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is Lecter a villan? I was having this argument the other day? It's his insight that saves the Govenor's daughter in Silence of the Lambs(since the AFI judges based on one film). Yes, he shouldn't have killed, but at the end of the day, Buffalo Bill is the major villan of the film, and to a lesser extent, the warden from Baltimore who oversees Lecter's transfer.

Terminator makes it as a Hero for T2, and as a villan for "The Terminator", rightly so in my book, good call by these guys!

And I guess I'd be holding my breath for a long time to get Leon from "The Professional" or Ash from "Evil Dead 2" on the list, but they are top 10 heroes to me. Or Buford T. Justice as the funniest villan ever!

And in a smaller role, but definately a hero to me, is Santino "Sonny" Corleone. I think everyone's heart sank when he was gunned down in that tollbooth.

But my real outrages:

John Rambo not on the list? Based on Rambo or First Blood, regardless what you think of those films, watch them and see the textbook building of a HERO!

Ditto, and this is the most aggregious, because he would have been number one on my list. "Joe" from the Man With No Name Trilogy. Joe, Technically the Clint Eastwood character's name, is such an unreal hero, and to walk every step of the way through the darknesss with him is one of films' pure joys. From either "Fistful" or "The G, the B the U" he defines dark hero to me. Much moreso than Batman for christsakes! And don't give me any noise about these being foreign proudctions so the AFI couldn't vote for them. They put British produced "Braveheart" and "Dr. No" on their lists, and Im not certain of "Lawrence of Arabia", but British actors, directors and production staff would lead me to believe it's BRITISH!

AFI, hating movies for guys who like movies.

Last edited by The Nature Boy; 06-04-03 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They even showed the complete ending of Rocky (even though, I think everyone knows it already.)
Old 06-04-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

John Doe from Se7en should've been somewhere on the villains list.
Old 06-04-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
#1 Movie Villain of All Time: Nutsuckers with cellphones
Old 06-04-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My picks:

Hero: Optimus Prime
Villain: Megatron
Hell yes!!! I was thinking the same choices last night. Although Unicron could get the villian spot as well (if only considering the movie.

I also thought Dr. Evil could get a villian spot somewhere in the list. 'He's frikkin' evil people!'
Old 06-04-03, 04:19 PM

nutsuckers? in a movie theater? and that's a bad thing?
Old 06-04-03, 06:58 PM

As much as I am not a fan of horror movies I cannot believe that Jason and Mike were left of the villains. I mean they define evil villains. Horror seems to be very underepresented here.

Musta been smoking something to put Clarice at 6.

Like others said I am surprised no John Mclane.

These AFI lists are always pretty bad IMO but fun to think about.
Old 06-05-03, 01:40 AM
Banned

Why is nobody bitchin' about Mr. T from ROCKY 3 being left off.
And how is Butch & Sundance, 2 bank robbers considered heros?
Are bank robbers heros now because of all the recent Hollywood hiest films?
And is MArlon Brando's The Godfather a hero or villian?
Because that charecter should be on the list in the top 10 somewhere.
And I'm sure if the whole U.S. was polled they would have picked 1930's Scarface over 1983's Scarface. MTV's movie awards have more creditablity than AFI!
Old 06-05-03, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wm lopez
Why is nobody bitchin' about Mr. T from ROCKY 3 being left off.
And how is Butch & Sundance, 2 bank robbers considered heros?
Are bank robbers heros now because of all the recent Hollywood hiest films?
And is MArlon Brando's The Godfather a hero or villian?
Because that charecter should be on the list in the top 10 somewhere.
And I'm sure if the whole U.S. was polled they would have picked 1930's Scarface over 1983's Scarface. MTV's movie awards have more creditablity than AFI!

Good call on Mr. T, he's probably one of the best of the 80's. The 50's are always WAY overrepresented on these lists anyway, arugably the weakest decade of U.S. film.
Old 06-05-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong So much misinformation!

Titanic was left off because they put a cut off year of 1996 (which is good because a brand new film needs time before it can be rightfully judged).

It wasn't top 100 of the century, it was top 100 of the first one hundred years of film. Film wasn't invented in 1900.
Not being eligible for inclusion is what I meant when I said the voting was done. Excuse me for being "wrong, wrong, wrong" and full of "so much misinformation!"
Old 06-05-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by FalconH10
As much as I am not a fan of horror movies I cannot believe that Jason and Mike were left of the villains. I mean they define evil villains. Horror seems to be very underepresented here.
A friend and I were talking about this. It might be that, even though the first movie of each series was genuinely good, the characters were cheapened through endless sequels.

Of course, this doesn't explain why Freddie Kruger made the list.
Old 06-05-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one who thought Jack Ryan deserved a spot on the heroes list?
Old 06-05-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Sernov
AFI needs to learn to use SPOILER warnings! A lot of those presentations had spoilers I was surprised they showed.
Well, just by their naming of:

48. Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects

Spoiler:
they spoiled it.

Actually, I think they were wrong on this one (and not just because it should have been much higher on the list) because Keyser Soze is the true villain of the movie.

I don't believe Verbal Kint is Soze. I believe Keyser Soze was a mythical figure created by Kint to get people to fear him - well, not him, per se, but Soze. I think the whole thing about Soze murdering his family was a lie to this effect. Although he was probably more than happy to have people he was about to kill like Keaton and the Hungarian man believe Verbal and Keyser were one and the same, I don't believe it was that way for those alive that worked for him.

That aside, (and I didn't see the show so maybe they did do this for all I know) what the AFI should have done in their show was not only name Soze as the villain, but only show clips where he is referred to (including by Kint), and clips where characters who are about to die are looking at who they believe is Soze, like Keaton at the beginning.

Mittman, I think Jack Ryan probably did deserve a place on the list. If they had narrow it down to one film (which would be a good excuse to exclude Ben Affleck BTW), they might as well have picked the best one featuring the best Ryan (both IMO), The Hunt for Red October.
Old 06-06-03, 10:43 AM

I would have been doubled over in painful laughter if they had picked the guy from Evil Dead 2 over T.E. Lawrence. There's an SNL skit about internet fanboys in this somewhere. No offense.
Old 06-06-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Camp
I would have been doubled over in painful laughter if they had picked the guy from Evil Dead 2 over T.E. Lawrence. There's an SNL skit about internet fanboys in this somewhere. No offense.
Why don't you check the list in 30 year or so, when those who grew up on the Evil Dead series are actually comprising a larger voting block? Hell, I'd have Lawrence in my top 5, but you're being naive if you think Ash won't be on this list one day. And you can bet your bottom dollar next time they make this list, in 10 or 20 years, Attacus Finch won't be in the top 10!
Old 06-06-03, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Hell, I'd have Lawrence in my top 5, but you're being naive if you think Ash won't be on this list one day. And you can bet your bottom dollar next time they make this list, in 10 or 20 years, Attacus Finch won't be in the top 10!
Well, I agree that I was surprised and disappointed that they chose Atticus Finch #1. I couldn't believe it. However, I don't for one second believe that Ash from the Evil Dead series would ever make a list like this. I'm sorry.
Old 06-16-03, 12:52 PM
Banned

I don't mean to crap all over Gregory Peck's win (seeing as how he's dead and all) but did you guys know that he was the AFI's first chairman? Little wonder he won.