Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-11-03, 08:21 AM   #1
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Is 12 Monkeys Considered a 'Cult Film'?

is 12 Monkeys widely considered a 'Cult Film' or 'Cult Classic'???
Old 04-11-03, 08:30 AM   #2
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

In my world, it's considered a "classic".
Old 04-11-03, 08:31 AM   #3
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it wasn't a mega-blockbuster I don't think and I guess I loved it alot - so I'd say there's a cult following... (cult of one).
Old 04-11-03, 09:11 AM   #4
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

I've only seen this movie billed as an 'action movie' yet i always felt it was so much more. One of the best time travel movies plotwise, and quirky and intriguing enough to be cult status IMHO also.
Old 04-11-03, 09:32 AM   #5
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it is here anyway.

I suppose it probably is.
Old 04-11-03, 09:43 AM   #6
LBPound
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really see it as a "cult" film. It was the #1 film in America for two weeks in a row, and while it didn't put up Toy Story numbers, it was widely seen and is widely considered one of last decade's best films.
Old 04-11-03, 10:57 AM   #7
Pants
Banned

Being a Gilliam film it automatically has a "cult" of followers, Gilliam Fans. But it isn't a cult film in the sense that it is little seen, but w/ a rabid following. It was a big hit. I think it made over $150 million in its first run. And was a big hit on DVD because it was one of the best early special editions.
Old 04-11-03, 01:11 PM   #8
Jepthah
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too popular to be cult, too refined to be a 'blockbuster.' My favorite category. A just plain great classic movie of its kind.
"If a sufficient number of people who wanted to stop war really did gather together, they would first of all begin by making war upon those who disagreed with them. And it is still more certain that they would make war on people who also want to stop wars but in another way." -- Gurdjieff
Old 04-12-03, 03:27 PM   #9
jaeufraser
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd agree, the movie is a little too well known and respected to be considered "cult". On the other hand, it wasn't some mega blockbuster, grossing a profitable sum for a relatively inexpensve movie. 160 mil worldwide for a 29 million dollar movie is quite good. On that note I am quite a fan of that movie. While I know the high regard that Gilliam's other movies hold with some people, this one is my favorite of his and I feel it doesn't have the pacing issues his other movies have. It's lean, mean, and very intelligent.