Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

House of 1000 Corpses -- Rob Zombie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

House of 1000 Corpses -- Rob Zombie

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say the most disturbing part was
Spoiler:
when we actually see Dr. Satan performing his torture routine on that guy. That was some messed up ****.
Old 04-13-03, 01:37 AM
Banned

thanks guys, keep the spoiler tags coming!
Old 04-13-03, 01:42 AM
Registered

Here's my spoiler free review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6071

To sum it up This film really sucks
Old 04-13-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DarthMaul420
Why should we critique it as such?
Because if a movie sucks it sucks, no matter why it was made. And personally, I think House sucks.

I've come up with a better title, also.

House of a 1000 Corpses, Or Why We Should Stop Worrying and Let Western Civilization Fall.
Old 04-13-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
Because if a movie sucks it sucks, no matter why it was made. And personally, I think House sucks.

I've come up with a better title, also.

House of a 1000 Corpses, Or Why We Should Stop Worrying and Let Western Civilization Fall.
Thats your opinion, until I see your film it's worthless to me.

Gk, maybe you should have helped him direct and write it then?

It's funny how much negativity there is on internet message boards. I don't take pleasure telling people something sucks just b/c I don't like it. But then again I'm not that rude.

Last edited by DarthMaul420; 04-13-03 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-13-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats your opinion, until I see your film it's worthless to me.
So now we have to make movies to critique them? Where's the logic in that? And if you really want to play with this concept, then your opinion doesn't count until you've directed a film either.

Also, if GK would have helped write or direct, I'm sure the movie would have turned out better.

Signs you know there's something horribly wrong with a horror movie: when the Halloween episodes of television shows give more chills than the genuine horror movie.

It's funny how much negativity there is on internet message boards. I don't take pleasure telling people something sucks just b/c I don't like it. But then again I'm not that rude.
I don't take pleasure in telling people this movie sucks. In fact, each time I'm forced to recall anything concerning this movie my body threatens to throw a seizure.

I'm posting such a negative review so people don't pay to see what I paid to see.

But then again, maybe I'm just rude.

Last edited by Corvin; 04-13-03 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-13-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went and saw it earlier tonight. Another packed theater here as well. Wasn't the best thing that I ever saw, but definitely wasn't the worst.
Old 04-13-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, if GK would have helped write or direct, I'm sure the movie would have turned out better.
Why's that?
Old 04-13-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DumDum
Why's that?
Because just about anybody could have helped Zombie make this film better, including my two-year-old neighbor who has just learned the alphabet.

Spoiler:
"Guess what? The Boogeyman is real, and you've found him!" Ooooh, scary!

And how about the hold-up scene that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie?

Or how about the creatures in the bottom of the lake or pond or pit or whatever you want to call it?

Or how about the fact that THE BURIAL SITE WAS LIKE A TEN SECOND WALK FROM A HIGHWAY.

Or how about "The End?" As if I care, Rob.

But you guys must be right. It was a very clever movie. . .
Old 04-13-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So now we have to make movies to critique them? Where's the logic in that? And if you really want to play with this concept, then your opinion doesn't count until you've directed a film either.

Signs you know there's something horribly wrong with a horror movie: when the Halloween episodes of television shows give more chills than the genuine horror movie.
If you didn't like it thats fine by me. But many did like it when I went. You weren't scared? Is that reason enough to come into this thread and bash the film?

as for GK ... at least he gave a reason as to what was wrong with it. Most of the same things I stated before. It was Zombie's first movie, give him a break.
Old 04-13-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because just about anybody could have helped Zombie make this film better, including my two-year-old neighbor who has just learned the alphabet.

Spoiler:
"Guess what? The Boogeyman is real, and you've found him!" Ooooh, scary!

And how about the hold-up scene that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie?

Or how about the creatures in the bottom of the lake or pond or pit or whatever you want to call it?

Or how about the fact that THE BURIAL SITE WAS LIKE A TEN SECOND WALK FROM A HIGHWAY.

Or how about "The End?" As if I care, Rob.

But you guys must be right. It was a very clever movie. . .
No one said it was "clever". But in true Jay and Silent Bob fashion we have Mr. Movie Poop Shoot here ....

and if anyone could make film there would be a lot of rich people on this board.
Old 04-13-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(1)If you didn't like it thats fine by me. (2) But many did like it when I went. (3) You weren't scared? Is that reason enough to come into this thread and bash the film?

(4) as for GK ... at least he gave a reason as to what was wrong with it. Most of the same things I stated before. It was Zombie's first movie, give him a break.
1) Okay, I'm glad I can state my own opinions.

2) I'd argue those people have no taste in film.

3) I wasn't scared, and since this was a horror movie, I think that gives me enough reason to bash the movie. If a movie is supposed to be a comedy and I don't laugh once, you bet I'm going to bash it. Same general rules apply.

4) Well, I've just stated my reasons in several posts. So now we're on an even playing field. If you need me to clarify why this movie sucks again, just ask.
Old 04-13-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Okay, I'm glad I can state my own opinions.

2) I'd argue those people have no taste in film.

3) I wasn't scared, and since this was a horror movie, I think that gives me enough reason to bash the movie. If a movie is supposed to be a comedy and I don't laugh once, you bet I'm going to bash it. Same general rules apply.

4) Well, I've just stated my reasons in several posts now. So now we're on an even playing field. If you need me to clarify why this movie sucks again, just ask.
Wow, now I have a diff opinion so I have no taste in film ....and I don't spend my life bashing movies I don't like... but to each his own.

"If you need me to clarify why this movie sucks again, just ask."

Several Posts? So far you have said "it sucks" and voiced you displeasure with the title.

Last edited by DarthMaul420; 04-13-03 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-13-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, now I have a diff opinion so I have no taste in film ....
I'm going to hold that opinion until you can give me a reason to think otherwise. In other words, what did you find enjoyable about House of a 1000 Corpses? I had to give my reasons for dislike--why don't you do the same, this time arguing your case?

Or let me rephrase that, what did you find enjoyable about Corpses that you couldn't have found online and for free (ie, a smut site). Oh, but you're right, we would have missed out on Zombie's "writing" ability (sarcasm intended, if you must read my spoiler tag).

I'm sorry if I'm being ridiculously smug about this situation, but I just find this movie absolutely revolting. And no, it's not because of the "gore."

Last edited by Corvin; 04-13-03 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-13-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since this is dividing people as intended. The film did it's job

Though thankfully the theater audience was more postive than all the negativity spewed online. Which i found surprising since while i went in without even thinking about what to expect,i was pretty sure i would be disapointed & wasn't!

Now the hyper-music video style confusing editing took some getting used to. Yet once you let the insanity take over(& the music video editing does'nt last the whole film thankfully). It was quite a ride if you take it for what it is. Nothing but a homage to old school horror,nothing more.

Anyway i told my brother about the film & that he should check it out since it was wild & better than the current horror films being released. He has'nt heard of the film & was'nt interested at all. No surprise as his taste in film & just anything is really crappy. Whatevers 'hip' & 'in' at the moment. He will see/buy. Yet whatevers 'old' or not 'in'..he avoids. The only time he will see something not in the mainstream or current. Is if he catches the film on tv & of course watches it. Then he would be like "wow thats awsome & you should see this!".

As for horror. He absolutely sucks in this area out of all genres. He rents all the latest horror films from Halloween:Resurection to the crappiest directo to video stuff like Final Stab(a film so bad & pathetic..shot on DV with no budget or FX & just a waste of time,thus thats all i will say). Yet he avoids all the old truely great classic horror of the 70's,80's & even earlier!

So he keeps renting more crappy horror & just is disapointed..yet NEVER takes my recomendations for good horror since i know my stuff & have seen plenty!

Just last week he rented Ghost Ship. I did'nt plan on watching it,though was maybe going to view a few scenes. Since i hate Dark Castles current output(the House on Haunted Hill & 13 Ghosts remakes which were unwatchable). I've given up anything they release since if their first two movies are any indication. They suck!

Anyway by the time i woke up the next day(was out all night the night before). He had already taken the movie back,thus i didn't ge tto at least see the begining which is said to be the only good part of the film. So i asked him how the film was. He replies glumly "It was alright"..& thats it...nothing else. Whenever he says "it's alright"...that means he hated the film & was disapointed. Yet since he wasted $$$$ & time on a crappy film. He never wants to admit to not liking it,so acts like "it had it's moments,but nothing much".

Though i'm sure if he saw House of 1000 Corpses he would have a blast since it delivers everything the films he's seeing lack severely.

Maybe once it comes out on dvd he will give it a chance..or unless word of mouth spreads & he keeps hearing about it. Otherwise it will pass him by just like every other great old school horror film out there.

Though i had to deal with this alot of as kid. I rented plenty of films no matter what year they were made(30's-present)..& the other kids would always make fun of me since the films weren't 'in' at the time. Like i rented THEM!...& they would laugh at the title. Yet they ended up missing out on one of the greatest giant bug films ever made!

Basically my older brother is still stuck in this frame of mind always trying to fit in..& never taking chances. Pretty boring actually.

Thank god i grew out of that(after trying to briefly tag along with the crowd).
Old 04-13-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Well since this is dividing people as intended. The film did it's job
I was confused for a second. I didn't know if I came into some online diary thread about Julie's brother or what. Anyway.

Was the movie's point really to "divide" people? Please. It's a horror movie, people. I'll bring up my comedy example again. If a comedy does not make us laugh, it is a failure. If a horror movie does not scare me, give me chills, etc., it is a failure. Under my definition (and I realize my definition isn't total and binding to everyone else, but I certainly think it's a fair one), House is a failure.
Old 04-13-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Though thankfully the theater audience was more postive than all the negativity spewed online. Which i found surprising since while i went in without even thinking about what to expect,i was pretty sure i would be disapointed & wasn't!

This is what gets to me all the time. People are always posting about how bad everything sucks and how they can do everything better. Corvin, I apologize for getting all over your opinion but stating the film sucks is all you really had to do for me to understand you side. No need to make fun of a movie or bash others b/c we feel different.

As for House being a failure ... lets wait and see the numbers first. Obviously it was a failure to you but not me.
Old 04-13-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(1) This is what gets to me all the time. People are always posting about how bad everything sucks and how they can do everything better. (2) Corvin, I apologize for getting all over your opinion...(3) but stating the film sucks is all you really had to do for me to understand you side. No need to make fun of a movie or bash others b/c we feel different.

(4) As for House being a failure ... lets wait and see the numbers first. (5) Obviously it was a failure to you but not me.
Okay, I'm glad this is coming to an end, but I just want to finish things up right.

1) I'm posting and saying House sucks: true

I'm posting and saying I could make a better movie than House: not true

Certain aspects (particularly the writing) of the film were horrible and I feel I could have done better. But that's not even the point. House is a film...from Hollywood. Er, well, kind of from Hollywood, anyway. Do you get my point? These are supposed to be professionals entertaining us.

(2) No hard feelings.

(3) I'm sorry you took my making fun of Zombie's movie personal. And for the record, I certainly didn't star the "bashing of others."

(4) So the numbers are what makes a film a success?

(5) Nice save.

And with that, I'll retire from this thread.
Old 04-13-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corvin...though you(among many others) seem to be missing the point of horror. They are not all meant to be scary!

In fact if you tryed to come up with a list of truely scary(& nothing else) horror films. The list would be VERY small.

Hellraiser is not really a scary film in that it does'nt make me jump over anything. Yet it is alittle disturbing & gets under your skin..not to mention is both graphic,yet strangely beautiful in a surreal way. Yet in no way am i scared when all is said & done. I could eat while viewing teh film(despite the graphic content) & won't have nightmares afterwards.

Basket Case is not scary at all yet is definately a horror film. Yet it's more of a pitch black comedy than anything else. You have the twisted plot,the amature acting/directing ect..& the gore. Yet the film was not meant to be scary at all. Just a twisted original & funny horror film thats really outlandish. So if you go into this film expecting scares. You will be disapointed.

While comedies themselves are supposed to be funny. I've found most are just amusing & play out more like dramas than anything else. Heck the original American Pie was very disapointing on the laught factor since i didn't find the film that funny at all. Mainly since it suffered from taking itself to seriously & was a drama in my eyes with a couple outrageous gags thrown in to try & masqurade as a comedy.

From Dusk Til Dawn is definately a horror film. Yet plays out as intended as an all out exploitation action/horror film loaded with kick ass attitude & dark humor. Yet it's not scary at all..& was never intended to be.

Ginger Snaps is mostly a drama with horror elements. It is somewhat intense/frightening near the end & at a few moments. Yet the film was mostly intended to be a teen drama with a werewolf. So should you be angry that the film is not 100% scary all the way through or appreciate the film for what it is?

So again people seem to mistake horror=scary at all costs when such is not the case. Just because a film may have vampires in it does'nt mean it's scary. You could make a tragic romance film involving vampires which could still be placed in the horror section,yet it's not scary at all!

Basically you could also say Sci-Fi is not all fancy gagets & taking place in the future. So should you expect Star Wars/Trek with every Sci-Fi film or a variety of stuff from Terminator,Alien,Blade Runner,Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, ET(a drama,but sci-fi film)..& so many more??

Again as with all genres. Nothing really fits into just one label since you can crossover & include aspects of other genres into a specific story. It makes things alittle more interesting when done right. Yet society is to worried about organizing everything into a specific group rather than being more creative.

What section should Repo Man be put into? It has aspects of satire,dark comedy,action,sci-fi & just plain wierdness.

So as long as a 'horror' film entertains me. Then i am happy. I like at least some bits of suspense & creepiness of course. Yet a nice dark sense of humor helps as well.
Old 04-13-03, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because just about anybody could have helped Zombie make this film better.....
I would have to argue this point. Joel Schumacher couldn't have made this film any better.

Seriously though, it should be interesting to see the final weekend numbers. From the looks of it, alot of theaters were packed this weekend.
Old 04-13-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Corvin...though you(among many others) seem to be missing the point of horror. They are not all meant to be scary!

I have actually never been scared by a horror film. Hell the only film that scared me when I was younger was Jaws. Still I enjoy horror films for many different reasons. Julie, I think you missed the most obvious "not meant to be scary" film! What about Evil Dead 2?!

Anyway, if we could get back to discussion on the actual film at hand here, did anyone else pick out some of the hidden in jokes?

Spoiler:

Near the end of the film our heroine climbs out of a hole in the ground, which is shot from the same angle and very similiar to the Evil Dead Poster which shows a woman either coming out of the ground or being pulled in!

The eye/monster camera shot in the tunnel was a throw back to the 70s Italian horror films.

The repeating news broadcasts that keep repeating are very Dawn/Night of the Dead sounding.

Old 04-13-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Julie--you make a decent point.

Yet I'd argue that if the movie does not attempt to be scary at all, it isn't a straight horror movie. Comparing Army of Darkness and House of a 1000 Corpses is kind of stupid, because they're two completely different films.

Straight horror movies (which House clearly tries to be) are supposed to scare you. Army of Darkness and Evil Dead don't try to be taken seriously. They have different intentions. So do films like From Dusk Till Dawn. But what do you think House was supposed to do if it wasn't supposed to...

1) scare you
2) give you the chills
3) creep you out

That's what it tries to do.

Oddly enough, it doesn't do any of those things.
Old 04-13-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the numbers are what makes a film a success?
Financially, yes. And House was successful this weekend. It made about 3.7 million, over 6200 dollars per screen. I'm sure it'll drop like crazy in the next week, but it's a good opening.
Old 04-13-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Whoever wanted to re-title House of 1000 Corpses as The End of Western Civilization as We Know It , I can find several films more worthy of that title, Crossroads with Britney Spears comes to mind.

I don't think this movie should be judged on its B.O. performance as it will not have anything massive due to its limited release. However, I do think this is a film where somebody should ask the opinions of several before going to see it if they want to see it. Judging from a lot of audience reaction, there was quite a bit of positive response to this flick. Now granted, some of the people in my showing who thought this film was great are not the types you want hang with, in fact, they are a shy bit away from the weirdos in the movie. But still, keep an open mind.

Some questions about the plot, and please don't answer with "Because it was a sloppy story" and/or "Zombie can't direct."

Spoiler:
I am sure the holdup scene at the beginning was meant to do something, just not sure what. Maybe a red herring for what will happen to the victims and trying to set Spaulding and Co. up as the killers?
-What was that thing in the pit with Dr. Satan that had the WWII gas mask thingy going(the big one that chased the heroine around)? Just a random freak, or was that actually Dr. Satan?
-Anyone else think the ending was ambiguous as to whether or not the girl got killed? IT never showed Otis actually stab her, and those scenes of her getting killed were supposed to be a dream I think.
Old 04-13-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
1) scare you
2) give you the chills
3) creep you out

Oddly enough, it doesn't do any of those things.
Well, it didn't scare me, but it did give me chills at some point and definitely creeped ME out. The truth is, it didn't do it for you, and since it didn't you have the right to label it a failure in your book, but don't think it means it's a failure in other people's books.

While it is nice to see House open with a decent per screen average, I think that the late shows on Friday and Saturday of opening weekend are probably where the film will reach its Zenith. Almost everyone in America with a burning desire to see this movie will mosty likely have done so this weekend. See, aside from people who have been following it and the hardcore genre/Rob Zombie fans, I don't see it stretching that far outside of the demographic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.