Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So called "Director's Cuts" that are still missing scenes?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if you guys know what so called "Directors Cut" or "Extended Cuts" ar still missing scenes, even if the director didn't want them included.I'm asking because while i was reading through my Hobbit or should i say "El Scorcho" sized edition magazine of LOTR, Peter Jackson said that there are even more scenes that were cut from Fellowship that are not in the EE.I for one would have loved to see these scenes in the movie or on one of the 4 discs seperately.So what are some other DC or EE's that are still missing scenes.
Old 02-23-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Quentin Tarantino's films are all his director's cut, yet they have deleted scenes.

Are you asking which director's cuts don't have all the scenes filmed in it? Cause I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be, "almost all of them." Only a few rare films get every scene in the final cut, like Memento or Running Time. Films almost always have a scene or two cut, and the scenes that stay in are usually edited to remove a line or two.

Or are you asking which films have deleted scenes that aren't available on the DVD? The answer there would be probably, "any film that doens't have deleted scenes available on the DVD."

If you mean DVDs with deleted scenes or extended cuts that are still missing scenes filmed, then FOTR would be one. The Brazil Final Director's Cut is missing scenes that show up in the Love Conquers All Cut, including an alternate version of one scene. A lot of older films have had deleted scenes that are either lost or destroyed, due to the fact that they weren't perceived as valuable. Highlander's Director's Cut is actually the European cut, and the scenes that never made it onto a film print were lost.
Old 02-23-03, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jay G.

Are you asking which director's cuts don't have all the scenes filmed in it? Cause I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be, "almost all of them." Only a few rare films get every scene in the final cut, like Memento or Running Time. Films almost always have a scene or two cut, and the scenes that stay in are usually edited to remove a line or two.

If you mean DVDs with deleted scenes or extended cuts that are still missing scenes filmed, then FOTR would be one. The Brazil Final Director's Cut is missing scenes that show up in the Love Conquers All Cut, including an alternate version of one scene. A lot of older films have had deleted scenes that are either lost or destroyed, due to the fact that they weren't perceived as valuable. Highlander's Director's Cut is actually the European cut, and the scenes that never made it onto a film print were lost.
Yep, basically i'm asking both questions.
Old 02-23-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, regarding the first question, almost all director's cuts probably have a scene or two cut from them. Sometimes a certain scene just doesn't work, whether because of pacing, acting, redundancy, or flaws in the script.

As for the second question, I've already listed a few, but I've thought of a few more:

Leon is the longer cut of The Professional, yet it is still misssing a scene where Gary Oldman's character,
Spoiler:
during the scene where he's talking to Danny Aiello, has one of his thugs bring Danny Aiello's kid back out of the kitchen and threatens to kill the kid unless Danny Aiello tells Gary Oldman where Leon is.

Also, Das Boot was originally a 6-hour miniseries, so the 4-hour director's cut is missing about 2 hours of footage.

This is Spinal Tap has had two different DVD releases, the Criterion and MGM version, and both of them contain deleted scenes not on the other version. I've also heard of a 6-hour cut of the film with all the footage, including scenes not on either DVD.

Criterion's OOP DVD of The Killer contained many deleted scenes, yet the Taiwan cut of the film contains one or two scenes not on the Criterion DVD. This cut is available on the French R2 release of the film, dubbed in Mandarin only. The Taiwan cut was the first release of the film, and John Woo re-edited the film to his liking for future releases.
Old 02-23-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Uh... things have to be cut. it's called Editing. A directors cut is just that regardless if scenes are in or they have a lot of scenes missing. It's called the directors cut for a reason. Just because it's not a theaterical cut, doesn't mean it isn't the directors cut.

Jackson also stated that he liked the Theaterical cut as much and thats why EE is not titled "directors cut"

My question to you would be... What would you want? a dvd that is just the footage in order that would make up a movie with mistakes in it as they needed to be edited out?

Thats what the deleted scenes are for. And even those are cut down to just a few of the scenes that were actually cut. A lot of scenes have and will always be sitting on the editing room floor without ever seeing the light of day. It's just something we have to face.
Old 02-23-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Leon

Although both the cut and uncut versions are very good films.
Old 02-23-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the "Director's Cut" of Blade Runner had some scenes that were left out, even though the Director's Cut title was reluctantly put on. I think I read that somewhere anyways.
Old 02-23-03, 05:45 PM

For virtually every film ever made, the director generally films as much as he can and then cuts and cuts to the final length. So in roughly 99.99% of all cases, there is ALWAYS film left on the cutting room floor that isn't included in the final theatrical cut. Directors are generally aware that movies don't really need to be too long (James Cameron is a notable exception), and studios doubly so since the shorter the movie is, the more often it can be shown in one day. Therefore, the answer to your question is, every single "Director's Cut" is still missing footage, somewhere, somehow.
Old 02-23-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The "Director's Cut" of Blade Runner is a half-way realization of Ridley Scott's vision of the film; it was rushed out before all the changes Scott wanted were done.

The "Director's Cut" omits the entire voice-over narration, as well as the happy ending, so it actually has less than the theatrical cut in that regard. It does add one small dream sequence.

Scenes missing from the "Director's Cut" include some violence that was included in the international cut, and a scene where Dekard questions Holden (the man shot in the beginning of the film).
Old 02-23-03, 05:54 PM

I have the director's cut of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes on VHS. Much to my dismay, it did not include one of my favorite scenes: the one where the funny little advertising man sings his song ("They come! They buy! And only I know why....Hahahahahah!).

Since I had copied this movie off HBO or something already, I dubbed this scene to the end of my "director's cut" tape. Now, I have "divemaster's cut," albeit a little out of sequence.
Old 02-23-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by conscience
Leon

Although both the cut and uncut versions are very good films.
How is the uncut version of this one? I'm thinking of picking it up - thanks.
Old 02-23-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The International Cut of Leon is a much better film. The added 24 minutes deal mostly with the relationship between Leon and Matilda, including Leon taking her out on hits to show her the ropes. It also explains the 'girl trouble' Leon had back in Italy.
Old 02-23-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pearl Harbor DC has stuff removed from the original theatrical and new scenes added instead...
Old 02-23-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Old 02-23-03, 07:30 PM

just because a movei/ disc is presented as the directors cut does not mean every single inch of film that was shot will be shown incorparated into the film. Many directors will try things while shooting or film something they envision as right, only to see it in the dailies or in the cutting room and decide its crap!!!

why else would there be editing ???
not every frame that was shot actually work the way the director envisioned it. So in the end it is possible to have and extended directors cut and still have deleted scene footage left over.
Old 02-23-03, 10:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
The OOP Criterion laserdisc is also the only cut of the film where "They can fly rings around the moon, but we're light years ahead of them with our highway" line is retained and is not included on the DVD cut of the film.
Old 02-23-03, 10:46 PM

a gore shot from the climatic scene from "Last of the Mohicans" was removed from the Director's cut of the film, go figure as to why Mann was compelled to splice this out.
Old 02-23-03, 10:50 PM

First DVD pressings of Toxic Avenger 2 were the cut R-rated version of the film, even though the cover claimed it was the complete unrated cut of the film. The recent reissue of the film in the "Tox Box" is the corrected complete cut of the film.
Old 02-23-03, 10:59 PM

There is some rumor floating around that the VHS version of American History X had an extra scene that wasn't present on the DVD cut of the film. It was mentioned at one point on IMDB, yet currently is not listed as such... hmmm.
Old 02-24-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Giles
There is some rumor floating around that the VHS version of American History X had an extra scene that wasn't present on the DVD cut of the film. It was mentioned at one point on IMDB, yet currently is not listed as such... hmmm.

a few seconds of a sex scene more.
Old 02-24-03, 04:23 AM

but isn't a directors cut mean its what the directors wants not whats the FULL cut
Old 02-24-03, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by funkymonk
but isn't a directors cut mean its what the directors wants not whats the FULL cut
Exactly, it's not a matter of what's in it and whats out of it. It only matters what the director Intended to be left in.
Old 02-24-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
The missing conversation on Tatooine between Luke and Biggs in the special edition of Star Wars.
Old 02-24-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kmac2878
How is the uncut version of this one? I'm thinking of picking it up - thanks.
The longer director's cut basically give more story to the relationship between Mathilda and Leon. I wouldn't want to tell you anything about it, but it is so beautiful what these two people (who had absolutely nothing in common when they met) had.

We do see a little more violence if that is your thing.

Pick it up.

I'm not a dvd reviewer, but if you want to know anything about the dvd (probably not):
The picture and sound are crisp, IMO.
The isolated music score (the only extra other than trailers for The Messenger, The Big Blue, and Leon and an "international ad campaign") is also worth noting.
Old 05-24-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Johnson's cut of Daredevil omits a hackneyed sex scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.