Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

For those who have seen Chicago: favorite musical number?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-05-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

I know not many have found this yet at their multiplex, and I had to travel to catch it, but for those that have, I must ask what you liked.

My favorite is definitely Cell Block Tango. The movie was cute and fun up to that point, but that number really kicked the flick into high gear IMO. I really felt like I was watching a stage on screen, if that makes any sense.
The song is really great, and the eye candy mixed with the choreography really won me over!

Catherine Zeta Jones=
Old 01-05-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to say Cell Block Tango as well. It was done great and like you said, the eye candy wasn't bad either. I really liked the way it began with each of the women saying one word and you were like, "Huh?" And then it tied into each of their stories. Nicely choreographed, filmed and performed.

After that, it would have to be "They Both Reached for the Gun" or whatever it was called. The ventroliquist dummy act was really interesting in that number.
Old 01-05-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though I hate Richard Gere's guts, I liked his opening number, and his little
Spoiler:
tap dancing act
I also enjoyed the Cell Block Tengo, (actually I'd all over Rene Zellwigger. I also enjoyed the opening number of All That Jazz.
Old 01-05-03, 09:01 PM

Hey, I like Zeta-Jones as much as the next guy although I though Zellwegger was too thin and bony in this one. But over either of them I would drool more over Denise Faye, the red-head in Cell Block Tango who
Spoiler:
poisoned her "Mormon" husband.
Old 01-05-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
Hey, I like Zeta-Jones as much as the next guy although I though Zellwegger was too thin and bony in this one. But over either of them I would drool more over Denise Faye, the red-head in Cell Block Tango who
Spoiler:
poisoned her "Mormon" husband.
I don't think this is too thin imo

BTW, here is a shot of Zeta-Jones from the Cell Block Tengo number
Old 01-05-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I also hate Richard Gere, but I liked both the puppet one, and the tap dance one. I can't decide which I liked best out of the whole movie since they were almost all really good.

I guess I'd pick the opening number with Catherine Zeta Jones, since I was pretty sure right from then I was going to love the movie.
Old 01-05-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts
The Crazy Girls review in Vegas does a nude lip-synched version of the Cell Block Tango. Never has the name "Lipschitz" sounded so sexy....
Old 01-06-03, 08:29 AM

Pop. Six. Squish. Uh uh. Cicero. Lipshitz.

They cut a few of the weaker numbers from the stage version, so what's left is pretty choice (though I do miss "Class", which is a duet by Velma and Mama Morton).

That said, my favorites are probably "Cell Block Tango" (which just ignites the screen) and "We Both Reached for the Gun" (which is marvellously realized). Runners-up, in order of their appearance, would be the opening number "All That Jazz", the Marilyn-homage "Roxie", Gere's circus-themed "Razzle Dazzle", and the "Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag" closing number.

Last edited by Skorp; 01-06-03 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-06-03, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My favorite number was "Roxie," easily. Just fantastic filmmaking. My second favorite number was "I Can't Do It Alone." I really wasn't impressed with "Cellblock Tango," the choreography was cool, but I hated the song. Any song which uses the word "Lipschitz" as part of the rhythm is not a good song in my book. Also, and this is really nitpicky, I hated the short cut where Roxie says, "Yeah, but did you do it?" It looks like she's in a confessional or something, and is at odds with the style of the rest of the film. But, as I said, that's really nitpicky.
Old 01-06-03, 03:24 PM

I liked the opening "All That Jazz" best, though many were wonderful!
Old 01-06-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cell Block Tango was my favorite.

Planning on watching again tonight. Being a member of OFCS has it's perks...mmm...Chicago DVD
Old 01-06-03, 06:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
on that's really hard to answer:

I really liked "Mr Celophane" followed by "Cell Block Tango"
Old 01-08-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ventriloquist and Cell Block Tango.

It looks like Cell Block Tango wins by a landslide.
Old 01-08-03, 06:49 AM

My vote goes to cell block tango as well - brilliant blending of the narrative and music. The runner up would be the press conference.

How about the worst number? Mine is a toss-up between Zelwegger's solo in the middle of the movie (I've even forgotten what it's about) and Richard Gere's Three Ring Circus (that one is just too obtuse).
Old 01-08-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Pop. Six. Squish. Uh uh. Cicero. Lipshitz.

Originally posted by Skorp
They cut a few of the weaker numbers from the stage version, so what's left is pretty choice (though I do miss "Class", which is a duet by Velma and Mama Morton).
My understanding is that THAT song will be on the soundtrack even though it is not in the film. (Also there will be included amn R&B reprise of "Cell Block Tango" by Queen Latifah, Macy Gray and Lil' Kin - shudder - and the Kander and Ebb duet "I Move On". I hope some extra footage of the cut numbers find their way to the DVD!)

Obivously because of the framing device (
Spoiler:
through Roxie's imagination
) several of Velma's numbers HAD to be cut in order for the film to work. Too bad too b/c I would have liked to see a little more of CZJ - esp since Velma is IMO the bigger role in the show.

My favorites were also "Cell Block Tango" (I FINALLY know what "#17 - The Spread Eagle" looks like ) and "We Both Reached for the Gun".

"We Both Reached for the Gun" was visually STUNNING and wonderfully creative. Rob Marshall showed that he could use the film medium to produce a fantastic musical number without being complete fantasy (e.g. the dancing on the stars number from Moulin Rouge). The "press puppets" concept was quite simply a truly inspired vision (as was the entire framing device of the film)!

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-08-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 05:28 PM

Cell Block Tango was definitely the best choreographed number in this very well done film. But my favorite would have to be And All That Jazz opening number and close behind is We Both Reached For The Gun, all in all there wasn't any bad songs in the film. Both Zeta-Jones and Zellweger

Last edited by bsktballDude1; 02-09-03 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 08:56 AM

Re: Re: Pop. Six. Squish. Uh uh. Cicero. Lipshitz.

Originally posted by rfduncan
Obivously because of the framing device (
Spoiler:
through Roxie's imagination
) several of Velma's numbers HAD to be cut in order for the film to work.
I thought the same thing. I've been listening to the recent Broadway cast album and don't see how they could've made a couple of the cut numbers work in the movie.

Since "Class" is on the soundtrack, we'll hopefully see it as a deleted scene on the DVD. The most logical place for it in the film is in the scene where
Spoiler:
Mama gives Roxie's diary to Velma
, but that would seem to violate the movie's structure, as Roxie is nowhere around.
Old 02-04-03, 02:12 AM
Cool New Member

whats amusing after reading a bunch of threads is that there is so much dissagrement on which songs are good and which aren't

one guy says mr cellophane was horrible, and another will say it was one of the best haha, funny stuff

But over either of them I would drool more over Denise Faye, the red-head in Cell Block Tango who

oh yea, she was incredible she's listed in the american pie 2 cast. not sure, but isn't she one of the two "lesbians" ? i can't match the name to the person in the movie in my head:P

Last edited by PochaCCo; 02-04-03 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-04-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hands down, without a doubt, my favourite number is easily "WE BOTH REACHED FOR THE GUN". I think the song itself is fun and energetic, and the way it was shot was terrific. I think Zellwegger does some of her best work in this scene without saying a word and Gere is just having a great time. I think this scene and the Tap Dance are the best parts of the flick... cell block tango is fun, but I think it's a little too long, other than that, those are my 3 favourites....

MATT
Old 02-04-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 637 Posts
Wow this is a tough one. I woul have to say All that jazz, Mr. cellophane, we both reached for the gun and cell block tango; in order.
Old 02-04-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are too many good ones:
All That Jazz
Cell Block Tango
Razzle Dazzle
Mr Cellophane
We Both Reach for the Gun