Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Hanks - The Man, The Films, The Fat

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-02-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a big fan of Tom Hanks ever since his humble beginnings on television (Family Ties, Bossom Buddies, Rona Jaffe's Mazes & Monsters) and watched as his celebrity grew through the 1980's and even liked one or two of the films during that time. Like most, I thought his Oscar-nomination for the comedy "Big" was his summit moment in his career, never expecting he morph into an international superstar in the 1990's.

I suppose you could say that Hanks paid his dues through the '80's in order to have his payday in the 1990's with two Academy Awards for Best Actor and starring in some of the most influencial motion pictures for that decade. And, of course, the money and the fame - and the respect of the industry and audience.

Nice.

But, does fame and fortune mean you should just let yourself go? I noticed the first changes in Hanks when he did "Philadelphia" in 1993. Not so much with his weight, but with his hair. Prior to "Philadelphia," he always had the same hairstyle - a little curly on top, short around the sides and back. Very neat, very prim. When he did "Philadelphia," gone were the neat locks, and enter a mess. Okay, it was all for the art of the film, but he never looked the same again.

I think we all saw the weight change in "Apollo 13" in 1995, but it became evident in 1996's "That Thing You Do," the film Hanks directed, wrote, and starred in. He got even bigger in 1998's "Saving Private Ryan," and boom, boom boom - 2000's "Cast Away."

Now this leads us to the ultimate befuddlement - he was quite large in Robert Zemeckis's "Cast Away," and for good reason - he played a fat Federal Express executive who gets stranded on an island for four years, so we had to see him waste away. And waste away he did - but in reality, Hanks was on a really effective diet, and he lost all the pounds he had gained not only for "Cast Away," but through the entire decade of the '90's. He lost the weight, and he looked great! By the end of the film, he looked as slim and trim as he did back in 1984's "Splash," and even his hair resembled the old Hanks.

Then what happens (and this is the pity of it all) - he gains all the weight back! Now I understand that for the average American, they diet, they lose the weight, they gain the weight back. That's just natural, but for a rich celebrity who could have all the great foods of the world prepared for him by his own gourmet chef - foods that keep the weight off but keep the palet happy - gaining weight is no excuse!

Love his films, as he is probably my favorite actor today. I'd go see a new Tom Hanks film without waiting to hear if its good or bad. But lose the weight. Why self-destruct when things are going so good?

Lastly, I raise this question: what price does one pay when an actor gains weight for a film? Health wise, it is not a good idea. Sure, you could always lose it, but once the body is exposed to getting fat, it will always be capable unless you maintain it. DeNiro did it for "Raging Bull" in 1980, and you could still see his plumpness in later films like "True Confessions" and "Once Upon A Time In America." Ray Liotta did it for this year's "Narc," and we will have to see with him. He's not as young a man as DeNiro was when he did it.
Old 02-02-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember in an interview he did for Cast Away (maybe the Charlie Rose show), he said it was definitely easier to lose weight than to gain weight. I lost a good amount of weight last year, and it wasn't very difficult and I won't be putting it back on anytime soon. But then, I'm not a rich, powerful man.

Anyhow, it makes me wonder...what difference does his weight make if it doesn't affect his acting? I mean, we're not talking weight gains like Welles or Brando here.

(sarcasm)And plus, Tim Allen gained like 100 pounds to play Santa and then he lost it all! And he's not too young. (/sarcasm)

"Big" remains my favorite Hanks film and his best performance, still...in my opinion.
Old 02-02-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
Anyhow, it makes me wonder...what difference does his weight make if it doesn't affect his acting? I mean, we're not talking weight gains like Welles or Brando here.
Not yet. Let's see what he looks like in 10 years...

And the hell with his acting! I'm talking about what it will do to his health! If he dies of a heart attack, woe is he (and us)
Old 02-02-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound

(sarcasm)And plus, Tim Allen gained like 100 pounds to play Santa and then he lost it all! And he's not too young. (/sarcasm)

Being the method actor that he is, I think it is disrespectful to say Tim Allen "played" Santa Claus. For those few months of filming, Allen WAS Santa Claus. End of discussion.
Old 02-02-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ryuryu2949
Being the method actor that he is, I think it is disrespectful to say Tim Allen "played" Santa Claus. For those few months of filming, Allen WAS Santa Claus. End of discussion.
Old 02-02-03, 07:35 PM

I just wanted to say this thread title is great.
Old 02-04-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Travolta's getting kinda chunky, too. But I guess they're in good company: Liz Taylor, Orson Welles, Jackie Gleason...
Old 02-04-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't count Jackie Gleason, cause the man was ALWAYS huge.
Old 02-04-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't forget Tim Allen's method acting that led him to don a suit of plastic for Toy Story.

Anyway, i don't really mind that Tom Hanks has gotten a little chunky. It happens to lots of people upwards of 40.
Old 02-04-03, 02:31 PM

I have not really noticed Tom's weight, i mean he is getting older, so naturally his metabolism is slowing down a bit. I mean he's not overweight jesus.

Now for a person who is really fat, check this out

STEVEN SEAGAL

Compare ABOVE THE LAW with FIRE DOWN BELOW!!! Whoa mama
Old 02-04-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tom Hanks looks like he had Bag-Implants under his eyes, for Christ's sake!

The man needs to lay off McDonalds! Age is no excuse.
Old 02-04-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Buttmunker
Can't count Jackie Gleason, cause the man was ALWAYS huge.
Actually, if you watch the earliest episodes of The Honeymooners his weight was pretty average and he was not yet the rotund dude that he's known for. It's kinda weird seeing a slimmed down Ralph Kramden.