Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gary Oldman in Talks to Cast a Spell on 'Harry Potter'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-15018,00.html

Wed, Jan 08, 2003, 09:01 AM PT

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) – While the much rumored part of Dumbledore has not yet been cast, Warner Bros. is in negotiations with actor Gary Oldman to join the cast of the third Harry Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Oldman is in talks for the role of Sirius Black, the wizard who escaped from Azkaban and mysteriously turns up at the Hogwarts School of Magic and Wizardry, confirmed a Warner Bros. spokeswoman.

However, previous reports about Michael Gambon replacing actor Richard Harris in the role of Dumbledore, the Hogwarts headmaster, have been premature, says the spokeswoman.

Previous reports had Sir Ian McKellen signed to the role, but the British actor crossed himself off the list, writing on his website that he "has NOT agreed to succeed the late Richard Harris in the role of Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies." Although, the actor has "expressed interest in perhaps playing a different role some time in the future of the series."

Oldman, 44, most recently appeared in Tony Scott's BMW film, "The Hire: Beat the Devil" with James Brown and Clive Owen, and will be appearing next in Michael Stevens' "Sin" opposite Ving Rhames. He is currently filming Matthew Bright's "Tiptoes" with Matthew McConaughey and Kate Beckinsale.

The third installment of J.K. Rowling's famous children's book series will be directed by Alfonso Cuarón ("Y tu mama tambien," "A Little Princess") and is set to start production in February.

Chris
Old 01-08-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

**** YEAH!
Old 01-08-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Heard this rumor on a potter web site. pretty cool if you ask me. Now who's playing Lupin?
Old 01-08-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw man.. Book 3 is my favorite.. Gary Oldman as Black.. waaah. Stupid 2004 release date.
Old 01-08-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the real question is how much will they have to cut out of the story to make it fit a 3 hour flick?
Old 01-08-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know about this...i heard the rumor a couple days ago and immediately thought "oh no". i just dont see GO playing Sirius. Sirius is supposed to big, very grungy yet sensitive. i just cant see GO playing this role, IMO i think he'd be better as wormtail.
Old 01-09-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

FReaking A!
Old 01-09-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Funny. Oldman is who I visualised as Snape when I first read Sorcerer's Stone . Nice to know he might be in some role afterall.