Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How many wizards are there in Middle Earth?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well out of the 2 movies so far (and I never read the books) why are the only wizards Gandalf and Saruman? I know the elves are magical and stuff, but I mean the old guys with big beards kind of wizards Ya'd think, in troubling times like these, if there were more wizard types, they'd be hanging around helping one side or the other...
Old 12-30-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that there are 5 who are wizards. Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast are part of LOTR. The other two are not a part of the story as they went into the very east of Middle-Earth.
Old 12-30-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

5 that I know of:

Gandalf the Grey (then white)
Saruman the White (then many-colours)
Radagast the Brown (barely in Lord of the Rings)
Alatar and Pallando (the "Blue Wizards") (not in Lord of the Rings)

These are all that I know. (note: These are off the top of my head, and I'm pretty certain these are correct; but it has been a while since I've done my research).

(Edited to change the spelling of Alatar - I had it as Allatar, originally)

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 12-30-02 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-31-02, 12:27 AM

I agree that 5 is the number.

The reason there are so few is because they are not humans, elves, dwarfs, etc. They are actually maiar, which are like gods. Sauron was originally one of the maiar and therefore very powerful, and so in order to aid the peoples of Middle Earth in their fight against Sauron a few of the maiar were sent to help disguised as men. As was previously mentioned 2 of the wizards went east and were never heard of again. This comes from Tokien's "Unfinished Tales" in the chapter called "The Istari." For a more detailed understanding of the maiar and the gods of Middle Earth I would suggest The Silmarillion.
Old 12-31-02, 11:20 AM
Suspended

So what do all of the colors mean? Saruman the white, gandalf the gray turned white, whats-his-name the brown... why is gandalf white now instead of gray? And how come when he met Merry & Pippin in the woods, he didn't know his name till they told him? And if they're like gods, they don't really seem all that powerful, or is Sauron just the strongest of them all?
Old 12-31-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
The colors are like a ranking system.

Since Sarumanm, the highest ranked Istari, betrayed the Valar, Gandalf was given his "rank" in the order.
Old 12-31-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is quoted from the encyclopedia of Arda.

"In origin a Maia of Manwë and Varda, Gandalf came to the northwest of Middle-earth after a thousand years of the Third Age had passed, with four others of his order. At the Grey Havens, Círdan entrusted him with the Red Ring, Narya, to aid him in contesting the will of Sauron.

Gandalf wandered widely in Middle-earth, and learned much of its races and peoples. Unlike his fellow Wizards Saruman and Radagast, he never settled in a single place. He was instrumental in the victory of the War of the Ring, but during that conflict he battled with a Balrog, and though he was ultimately victorious, his spirit left his body, but was sent back to Middle-earth to complete his task."
Old 12-31-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The two Blue wizards went into the East and were responsible for forming "occult groups."

Also, all of the wizards except for Gandalf strayed from their mission.
Old 01-01-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Nazgul
This is quoted from the encyclopedia of Arda.

though he was ultimately victorious, his spirit left his body, but was sent back to Middle-earth to complete his task."
this was my question...he mentioned a couple of times in TT that he was sent back to complete his mission. does this mean once it is all over he will die?
Old 01-01-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by hgar78
this was my question...he mentioned a couple of times in TT that he was sent back to complete his mission. does this mean once it is all over he will die?
He can't really "die". Since he is a Maia, his spirit is immortal. However, his physical body can be destroyed, which is what happened when he fought the Balrog. Once he has fulfilled his mission,
Spoiler:
he sails into the West with the ring-bearers to dwell in the Undying Lands with the Valar and all the Elves that are already there.
Old 01-02-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tor_greg
The two Blue wizards went into the East and were responsible for forming "occult groups."

Also, all of the wizards except for Gandalf strayed from their mission.
It should also be noted that the Blue Wizards travelled to the East with Saruman. From there, they did not return and much has been rumoured about their fate. Whether they were ensnared by Sauron, started cults, perished or stayed in the East it is not known.

There's a nice little chapter about the Istari in the book "Unfinished Tales".

Wilt thou learn the lore that was long secret
of the Five that came from a far country?
One only returned. Others never again.
under Men's dominion Middle-earth shall seek
until Dagor Dagorath and the Doom cometh.
How hast thou heard it: the hidden counsel
of the Lords of the West in the land of Aman?
The long roads are lost that led thither,
and to mortal Men Manwë speaks not.
From the West-that-was a wind bore it
to the sleeper's ear, in the silences
under night-shadow, when news is brought
from lands forgotton and lost ages
over seas of years to the searching thought.
Not all are forgotten by the Elder King.
Sauron he saw as a slow menace...

-matt