Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gandalf question in TTT

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gandalf question in TTT

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-02, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gandalf question in TTT

At the start of the movie, we see how Gandalf battles Balrog. Exhausted, he went into a state of unconsciousness for several days. Then he returns to finish his task. He is depicted without his shirt on. So is he reborn as a spirit? Or is he mortal as before and can die in battle?

Gandalf also has become a "white" wizard. What does this signify? Is this an increase of power so that he is on the same level as Saruman? In the first one, I thought their colors seve as a contrasted of their characters, but it is certainly not true anymore. I have not read the books, and I do not wish to know anything about Return of the King, but any other explanation on this topic will be appreciated.
Old 12-21-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gandalf is reborn as a more powerful wizard, though I suppose he is still mortal. Saruman was once the head of wizards and was called Saruman the White, so the color change also indicates his fall and Gandalf's claim to head of the order. In the books, at least, Saruman's robes still look white, but are actally made up of many different colors of thread.
Old 12-21-02, 05:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gandalf never was mortal. The wizards aren't men, they're immortal beings. Hence his comment about having walked the earth for "300 lives of men" or something of that ilk when leaving Helm's deep to go find Eomer.
Old 12-21-02, 07:55 PM

Gandalf never died. Really, he didn't. In the book, it just says, "And then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time; and I wandered far on roads I that I will not tell. Naked I was sent back [well, not in the movie, it's PG-13!]--for a brief time, until my task is done."

Gandalf is now dressed in white because he got a promotion. You will see how this plays out in the next movie.
Old 12-22-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Inverse
Gandalf never died. Really, he didn't. In the book, it just says, "And then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time; and I wandered far on roads I that I will not tell. Naked I was sent back [well, not in the movie, it's PG-13!]--for a brief time, until my task is done."

Gandalf is now dressed in white because he got a promotion. You will see how this plays out in the next movie.
He did died. Check the appendix at the back of RoTK.
Old 12-22-02, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts
People who know a whole lot about LOTR discussed it in this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2