Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drumline

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The simple fact is if a studio packages it's movie in a crappy wrapping, what else can we expect. the trailers make it look like a total pile of junk. Nothing more then a Bring it on knock off in the world of band.

Maybe it might be decent, From the trailers, I really don't want to take the risk.
Well I guess its time someone started a thread about where to "get" this movie since they refuse to pay ticket prices, or risk seeing a bad movie. So let the flame war start now, and Im sure a good half of us wont see it, and the other half will and say how good it was ...or wasnt.
Old 12-13-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now check out the reviews...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Drumline-1115684/
Old 12-13-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
As a former band dork (luckily our band was one of the top 10 in Texas, with a 28 year reign as district champs) we would laugh at bands that did this type of "marching".

When I saw the trailer for this I immediately thought of Galveston Ball High's band. While it's occasionaly fun to watch, there's a reason these types of bands never competed on the state scholastic level with serious marching bands. And since all they would do is high-step and jump around like fools they sounded terrible.

Ahhhhh, high school memories!
Old 01-05-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

7 Drumline Fox $5,600,000 1,653 $47,836,000 $20 / $15 4

someone must like this so-called crappy movie, it's made amost $50 million after four weekends
Old 01-05-03, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought Drumline was really energetic and entertaining. The storyline is a well-known formula but it hasn't worked this well in a while. The drum battles were really exciting and I even picked up the soundtrack afterwards because some of them are on there. The performances were surprising overall, especially Orlando Jones in a semi-serious turn. Drumline was fun and I'll pick up the DVD when it's out.
Old 01-06-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it as well.... not as much as Bring It On mind you... no Kirsten Dunst after all... but the drum battles were well shot and pretty intense.

Orlando Jones
Old 04-30-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just rented and watched the movie yesterday.

Definately worth a rental, though I wouldn't buy it. The music and the bands really are fascinating to watch, but the story is a big cliche, and all of the characters are one dimensional (no depth).

The music definately carries the movie, through at least one viewing.

As for the DVD, the extras are nice (commentary (though I only listened to a few minutes worth), and the deleted scenes (with commentary)).

Last edited by Heat; 04-30-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-30-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Heat
the story is a big cliche, and all of the characters are one dimensional (no depth)
Theres a shocker
Old 05-01-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely a let down. The best bits were mostly in the TV spots. It was a total popcorn flick that made me want to pop in Bring It On immediately afterward.

Oh and Orlando Jones - not a good actor.
Old 05-01-03, 02:57 PM
Cool New Member

I enjoyed this movie! If you have not been to a HBUC game to see the bands it may seem like a lame movie. I went into it know that it was a spin off of several movies and that was all right with me. It was a good flashback movie for me especially the party scenes.
Old 05-01-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well - I mean it was somewhat enjoyable. I'm not slamming the subject matter. I was in marching band in college! The problem I had with the movie was the photography style. There were SO MANY cut aways that you never really could get an idea of what was going on on the field. No only THAT, but there were an excessive amount of cut aways seemingly to avoid showing that almost NONE of the actors in the film were actually on the field/in the formations except in the little random spots where they staged formation and stuck them in. It was just annoying and slopping and a terrible injustice to the fantastic performances these band produce.
Old 05-02-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well let's see, we've had Bring it On, Drumline, so whats next? A movie about teens in the science club? Oh I know! They could make a movie about foriegn exchange students..oh no wait that was done already and it went no where....

Old 05-31-03, 03:11 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i just watched it on the plane

enjoyed it !

was fun
Old 05-31-03, 04:15 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts
"Hit 'em with a little Flight of the Bumblebee!"

Watched it last night (as a rental)... it was good once, but I doubt I'd watch it again... but rfduncan is right, I wanted to throw in Bring It On afterwords.
Old 06-11-03, 01:42 AM

The movie is so much fun to see. Great music!