Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So I saw The Emperor's Club

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Has anyone seen this one yet? I went tuesday night and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect much from it since I haven't really seen that much advertising for it, but IMO this will be one of those really good movies that gets overlooked at the theatre (ala Iron Giant). I was mostly expecting an inferior Dead Poet's Society clone, but it's really not much like DPS, except for the similarity of being set in a preppie school with a teacher that all the students like. But I'd really compare it more to Finding Forrester than DSP.
Without spoiling anything, I hit a point near the end and really thought I'd hate this movie. But (and if you see this you'll know what I mean) it does a good job of redeeming itself and avoids the cliche that tends to be predominant in this type of film.
2 thumbs up.

This is also a good date movie.
Old 11-29-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also really enjoyed this movie and it was better than I was expecting.. a very nice movie with a solid performance from Kevin Klein...worth seeing...

MATT
Old 11-29-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad saw this the other day and recommended that I see it, which is rare for him.
Old 11-29-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice to see people liked it. From the commercials I was expecting something that could either be good or bad. I'm still not convinced enough to spend $10 at the theatre, so I'll wait for the DVD.
Old 11-29-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been interested in this one, ever since Kevin Kline came to my high school to prepare for the role. He's a nice guy, but I don't think too much of him as an actor.
Old 11-29-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too, was really surprised. I also expected a Dead Poets Society Part II so I went into the theater with a preconceived idea of what the story was going to be about. I had a free pass and still had a "prove it to me" attitude.

I really enjoyed the movie, the story was excellent, the acting was good as well.
Old 05-11-03, 01:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Watched this movie yesterday and enjoyed it very much. The film jumped around a bit much, but the heart of the story was moving and Kevin Kline is always good.
Old 09-29-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I got this for $7 at the BBuster B2G1F deal since I'm a sucker for DPS/School Ties type of movies.

I LOVED IT. It's a movie I'll want to watch again and again. It's an emotional roller coaster.

And Emile Hirsch, who played Sedgewick Bell as a boy, is in another movie I got, The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys!

(It was $42 for TEC, TDLoAB, I-Spy, Phone Booth, Hart's War, and A Guy Thing).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-29-03 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. Seen it some time ago and it was a very nice flicks indeed. I'm not really surprised about the quality of the movie, as I've seen the trailer before (I dunno, but most of the times I'm pretty accurate guessing which movie I would like based on what I see on the trailer, regardless of its genre) and the rating the critics gave.
Old 09-30-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I am not a big fan of Kevin Kline but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It had a good and unconventional story and was well-acted. I enjoyed the ending as it was bittersweet but appropriate. Three thumbs up!
Old 09-30-03, 01:13 AM

Love it much.
Old 09-30-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Still one of my favorites from last year.
Old 09-30-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think that somehow the movie should have been marketed as different from DPS because thinking it was going to be a DPS ripoff probably deterred some from seing it (I got a free pass). I was extremely suprised at how much I enjoyed it. Very good movie.
Old 09-30-03, 02:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to see all the love for this underrated gem.