Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

film threat's fridgid 50

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

film threat's fridgid 50

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
film threat's fridgid 50

i love these things....

http://www.filmthreat.com/Features.asp?Id=569

i totally agree with #1, 5, especially #6. surprised, however, not to see jennifer lopez on the list! waste of talent!

...oops, never mind. now i see she's on the list! j-ho.

Last edited by hgar78; 11-26-02 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They lost all credibility when the put Al Pacino on the list.
Old 11-26-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Robert
They lost all credibility when the put Al Pacino on the list.
Yeah, my same thoughts exactly when I saw the link posted at another forum. Lame.
Old 11-26-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty funny list.

I liked their summary of the new Jennifer Lopez movie:

"Lopez's romantic comedy "Maid in Manhattan" is just "Pretty Woman" without the whores."
Old 11-26-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are some very obvious picks there, and some of them are so not called for.

Billy crudup.
Blaming him for wasting his time on good performances in quality independent films that don't make money at the box office.
How dare he!

Al Pacino turned in a good performance in insomnia thank you very much.

Steven Spielberg.
He has a big hit film (that I found entertaining) and another sure to be a hit this year as well (catch me if you can) I'll forgive him for digitally erasing the guns, mostly because I don't even remember them in the original anyway.

Allison eastwood.
She hasn't even done anything recently to be even ridiculed.

Parker Posey.
Winning rave reviews in the recent release, personal velocity

Matthew Mcconaughey.
Was very good in 2 indie films this year, 13 conversations about one thing & Frailty.

Kathryn Bigelow.
By reminding people she had a big budget flop this year and that she's the first female director to have a film with that big of a budget will not help the matter. How many male directors with big budget flops are out there. Plenty. Why is this an issue?

I liked her other film this year, the weight of water.
I say give her more films, and more creative freedom (i,e. don't let them cast harrison ford in your film playing a russian submarine commander with a lousy accent)

Alexander Sokurov.
It's not like the gang at film threat are the target audience for his films, anyway.
Old 11-26-02, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing the people at FilmThreat need to do is look up the definition of frigid. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me they have different reasons for nearly every person they put on the list. Frigid means intensely cold, or lacking warmth or imaginative qualities. Or, it could mean an aversion to sex.

Are they putting these people on the list because they're lacking warmth or imaginative qualities? Seems they have no set criteria for what it takes to be put on the list. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what they're trying to do.
Old 11-26-02, 11:38 PM

terrell, its a reference to how "hot or not" they are. cold = not popular, etc.
Old 11-27-02, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then they need to say that. Calling it the frigid Top 50 implies you're calling the people themselves frigid.
Old 11-27-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Hehe...although I liked Insomnia alright, I thought the Al Pacino bit was the funniest part of the whole article.

I hate that steenking Whooyah movie.

Frigid as in very cold. Definition's pretty obvious. But really, it's just an excuse for them to take shots on things they don't like--of course no one's going to agree completely with a list like that, but overall, I thought it was pretty funny.

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-27-02 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-27-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
They're not talking about their performances, they're talking about how they deal with the press and their attitudes.
Old 11-27-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Or maybe they're not, sorry, the newspaper articles I've read about this article made it sound that way.
Old 11-27-02, 01:50 PM
Banned

Al Pacino sucks people. he hasn't given a good performance since Dog Day Afternoon. I'm not going to have this arguement anymore. Not only was his performance in Insomnia not good, the movie wasn't any good either.

As for Bigelow and K-19. It is probably the most acurate call on the list. I LOVED K-19, but it was a flop. And not just a flop but a $100 million dollar flop. She is dead as a doornail for a long time. Look for more Weight of Water and less Strange Days from her n the future. She's dead

Last edited by Pants; 11-27-02 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Al Pacino sucks people. he hasn't given a good performance since Dog Day Afternoon. I'm not going to have this arguement anymore. Not only was his performance in Insomnia not good, the movie wasn't any good either.

As for Bigelow and K-19. It is probably the most acurate call on the list. I LOVED K-19, but it was a flop. And not just a flop but a $100 million dollar flop. She is dead as a doornail for a long time. Look for more Weight of Water and less Strange Days from her n the future. She's dead
I shouldn't even justify your response with a any kind of reply to it, but I will anyway.

You. Are. Insane.

Old 11-27-02, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
There are some very obvious picks there, and some of them are so not called for.

Billy crudup.
Blaming him for wasting his time on good performances in quality independent films that don't make money at the box office.
How dare he!

Al Pacino turned in a good performance in insomnia thank you very much.

Steven Spielberg.
He has a big hit film (that I found entertaining) and another sure to be a hit this year as well (catch me if you can) I'll forgive him for digitally erasing the guns, mostly because I don't even remember them in the original anyway.

Allison eastwood.
She hasn't even done anything recently to be even ridiculed.

Parker Posey.
Winning rave reviews in the recent release, personal velocity

Matthew Mcconaughey.
Was very good in 2 indie films this year, 13 conversations about one thing & Frailty.

Kathryn Bigelow.
By reminding people she had a big budget flop this year and that she's the first female director to have a film with that big of a budget will not help the matter. How many male directors with big budget flops are out there. Plenty. Why is this an issue?

I liked her other film this year, the weight of water.
I say give her more films, and more creative freedom (i,e. don't let them cast harrison ford in your film playing a russian submarine commander with a lousy accent)

Alexander Sokurov.
It's not like the gang at film threat are the target audience for his films, anyway.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo to calling them on the female filmmaker issue.
Old 11-27-02, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Pants
Al Pacino sucks people. he hasn't given a good performance since Dog Day Afternoon.
Not to get too off topic, but I think that's a bold statement. You don't think he's had a good performance since 1975? Perhaps not any legendary performance, but I think there's been plenty of respectable ones over the past 26 years.
Old 11-27-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the ones I don't think are fair:

4. ROBERT DENIRO - What they said WAS true, but he does do a good performance once in a while (like The Score) still, yes, he does do a lot of throw aways... so this isn't all that unfair.

38. AL PACINO - See above.

16. BILLY CRUDUP - Huh? he does good Indie films and so he sucks?

21. STEVEN SPIELBERG - The guy forced Universal to put out both versions of the movie... he should be praised for that. He redoes his own movie, and then still lets the original out. But, if the CGI removal of guns bother you THAT much, then I guess it's fair to say that overshadows everything else. I think you're a nut though.

39. GEORGE LUCAS - Yes, Lucas DOES GET IT. The author doesn't. Lucas simply wants to make the movies himself because HE WANTS TO DO IT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT. You can bash the movies for being bad, but don't bash him for "not getting it."

46. KATHRYN BIGELOW - So a female director has he film bomb and she's now distinguished on the list? who wrote this? just as many male directors had bomb films this year.
Old 11-27-02, 11:01 PM
Banned

The man who directed Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark should not be on such a list. That man is a God among filmmakers.
Old 11-27-02, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
I shouldn't even justify your response with a any kind of reply to it, but I will anyway.

You. Are. Insane.

I second that!
Old 11-28-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to all of the indie films Billy Crudup has done...they also failed to mention Almost Famous - one of the best films of 2000.

Otherwise, it was a funny fluff piece...the Oleson Twins blurb was hilarious And how about that pic of Nick Nolte?!??!?!? Good lord...that man looks like he's been run hard and put away wet.....

Oh....and P.S. Al Pacino most assuredly DOES NOT "suck" *my first use of the new emoticon!!!!*