Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WTF: Kevin Smith writing Scary Movie 3?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

From Variety:
Kevin Smith to Forge 'Scary' Sequel

NEW YORK (Variety) - Dimension Films continues to stack the masthead for "Scary Movie 3" with comedy heavyweights, signing Kevin Smith (news) -- a veteran at Dimension and parent Miramax -- to executive produce and co-write the project.
Smith, whose writing and directing credits include "Clerks," "Chasing Amy" and upcoming Ben Affleck-Jennifer Lopez pic "Jersey Girl," joins slapstick trailblazer David Zucker ("Airplane!," "The Naked Gun"), who has agreed to direct.
"It is an honor to be involved with David, one of the creators of 'Airplane!,' which is arguably the funniest movie of all time," Smith said. "Our aim is to make this third in the franchise as funny as that other hysterical third-in-the-franchise flick, 'The Godfather Part III."'
The new addition steps up the rivalry between Dimension and Sony-based Revolution Studios, where "Scary Movie" originators Keenen Ivory, Shawn and Marlon Wayans (news) are developing their own spoof project based on the sci-fi/fantasy genre.
Both films are expected to be out next year, but Dimension chief Bob Weinstein has vowed to be first to market with an early fall release. "Scary Movie 3" is set to begin shooting in February.
For writing duties, Smith joins scribes Pat Proft, Brian Lynch and Craig Mazin, who signed on to craft the script in November.

Not sure how to feel about this... I haven't particularly liked KS's last two movies, altho "Jersey Girl" sounds promising, but IMHO I'd think his talents would be better spent than the third in a rather lame series of movies like the "Scary Movie" stuff... Thoughts?
Old 12-05-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is SCARY MOVIE 3. Either way its going to be a turd. But how many degrees of a flaming turd is what we shall see. Whatever.
Old 12-05-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have there been that many scary movies out recently to even spoof? That's what made the 1st on good IMO because it was coming off the heels of Scream and IKWYDLS.
Old 12-05-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God. No.
Old 12-05-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought they were going to venture into spoofing stuff like star wars this time around.
Old 12-05-02, 09:17 PM
Banned

I saw the last one and was offended by that film's potrayal of people with disabilies.I'm talking about the guy in the wheelchair. God . No .
Old 12-05-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The first one was great and refreshing, the second one just blew. I'd still rather see Keenan and Co. doing the third one.
Old 12-05-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked his films up to Dogma... I just thought a lot of the jokes in Jay and Bob weren't as funny, and there wasn't an interesting story to recover it. I like his more serious stuff, Dogma and Chasing Amy, and even Clerks has a serious side to it... Mallrats I find funny, and the story is at least a little interesting.

But Jay and Bob? great until they got stuck with the whole jewel theft story. Terrible decision there, and I didn't like a lot of the jokes poking fun at the actors or anything that drew attention to the fact it was a movie (like when the characters look at the camera)

I don't see why Smith would do Scary Movie 3. Surprises me actually.
Old 12-05-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BizRodian

I don't see why Smith would do Scary Movie 3. Surprises me actually.
That's what I originally thought, until i realized that Scary 3 is supposed to be a LOTR/Harry Potter/Star Wars spoofer...and Smith LOVES Star Wars...hell, he's already spoofed it... I'm sure he just wants a nice payday for writing a few potty jokes... and heck, with David Zucker directing, why the heck not...this movie could be totally GOLD.... I just wish dimension would ditch the Scary Movie moniker...i think that will scare more people away than it will help to attrach business...

MATT
Old 12-05-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just wish dimension would ditch the Scary Movie moniker...i think that will scare more people away than it will help to attrach business...
Exactly, it already did every single person in this thread.

If it was "Kevin Smith writing Star Wars/LOTR/Potter spoof" then everyone would be saying they can't wait.
Old 12-06-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Just when I thought Kevin Smith couldn't sink any lower, he proves me wrong.

Actually, it sounds like a perfect match - since Kevin Smith hasn't done anything good since Chasing Amy.
Old 12-06-02, 08:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Aaron Amos
I saw the last one and was offended by that film's potrayal of people with disabilies.
Being disabled doesn't make you exempt from satire. Personally, I think the disabled should be treated the same as everybody else...and that means taking the bad as well as the good.
Old 12-06-02, 09:14 AM
Banned

How can you go wrong with Kevin Smith AND Brian Lynch writing for this movie? Ok, there are a few ways. You are putting all the power in Kevin's hands when he is only one of 4 writers (so far).
Old 12-06-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the last one and was offended by that film's potrayal of people with disabilies.I'm talking about the guy in the wheelchair. God . No .
I hate changing thread subjects, but...

Did you have a problem with Chris Elliott's character? Her was disabled too.

As far as Kevin Smith in the writing team, his last film was no different from all the other dick and fart joke movies. He'll fit right in.

Last edited by Mazinger; 12-06-02 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was hillarious, especially when
Spoiler:
he died and said "I'm dead, and I'm still handicapped?!? This is bull ****!"

Anyway, back on topic
Old 12-06-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
I thought it was hillarious, especially when
Spoiler:
he died and said "I'm dead, and I'm still handicapped?!? This is bull ****!"
Man, that line is a comedic gold mine.

Kevin Smith pissed me off for never sending me that damn Jay & Silent Bob signed mini movie poster. How hard is it to sign thousands and thousands of posters for his deserving fans that he promised to do so for.

I agree that the title of the movie should be changed.

I thought Jay & Silent Bob was good until the
Spoiler:
jewel theft took place. That, the matrix move by Ali Larter, and the escape from the restaurant
was what made the movie sink in quality in my opinion.

...anyway...back on topic...
Old 12-06-02, 11:42 AM

David Zucker = one of my favorite directors

Kevin Smith = one of my favorite writers

I can't wait! If you don't think the movie is going to be funny that's cool, but if you're upset with Kevin for doing a spoof movie, lighten up.
Old 12-06-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000
Scary 3 is supposed to be a LOTR/Harry Potter/Star Wars spoofer...and Smith LOVES Star Wars...hell, he's already spoofed it... I'm sure he just wants a nice payday for writing a few potty jokes... and heck, with David Zucker directing, why the heck not...this movie could be totally GOLD.... I just wish dimension would ditch the Scary Movie moniker...i think that will scare more people away than it will help to attrach business...

Actually, this is only partially correct. Yes, there will be a LOTR/Harry Potter/Star Wars fantasy spoof, but that is the one that the Wayans Bros. are doing over at Sony Pictures. Scary Movie 3 will just be a continuation of the S.M. series.
Old 12-06-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Cool. Maybe the series will have a movie worth watching.
Old 12-06-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Professor Frink
Actually, this is only partially correct. Yes, there will be a LOTR/Harry Potter/Star Wars fantasy spoof, but that is the one that the Wayans Bros. are doing over at Sony Pictures. Scary Movie 3 will just be a continuation of the S.M. series.
Are you sure? I've read from multiple sources that while it will still carry the name SCARY MOVIE 3, it will still be a spoof of sci=fi/fantasy...that's why dimension wants to get it out before the competition, because they are the same kind of flick...

It also will be a big slap in the face of the Wayans for them to keep making this project as originally invisioned, and get it into theatres before the Wayans get theirs out....

If you have an article that proves otherwise, post it, cause everything i've seen says the Zucker film is still a scifi fantasy spoof....

MATT
Old 12-06-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its still Scary Movie 3: Episode I - Lord of the Brooms. Sounds like a scifi fantasy spoof to me.
Old 12-09-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I bow to the superior intellect.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,393320~1~~,00.html

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the full title of the third movie is ''Scary Movie 3: Episode I -- Lord of the Brooms.'' (Apparently, the ''Star Wars,'' ''Lord of the Rings,'' and ''Harry Potter'' franchises have been added to the list of the parody's targets.)

The first movie in the Wayans family's Revolution deal will also be a sci-fi/fantasy spoof, parodying such alien-invasion adventures as ''Signs'' and ''Independence Day,'' Variety reports.
Old 12-09-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
This sequel seems to have little to do with horror movies or the other two, why still call it Scary Movie?
Old 12-09-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They think that it'll bring in more money with the francise name.
Old 12-10-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this movie has a chance to actually be really good. There is no way it can get any worse than part 2 at least.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.