Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"21 Jump Street": The Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone heard anything about this TV series from the late 1980's coming to the big screen?

"21 Jump Street": The Movie
Mon Nov 25, 1:40 PM ET Add Entertainment - E! Online to My Yahoo!

By Josh Grossberg

Looks like 21 Jump Street could be jumping to a new address.

The Gen-X Fox police drama, which gave the world Johnny Depp and Rupert Murdoch's then-upstart network its first ratings success, would get the big-screen treatment courtesy of Paramount Pictures, according to Daily Variety.

Series mastermind Stephen J. Cannell, the man behind such hit '80s shows as The A-Team, Wiseguy and The Commish, and cocreator Patrick Hasburgh will adapt Jump Street into a feature film, in a deal reportedly worth more than seven figures if the flick gets made.

Cannell (who has a cameo in the current Steven Seagal (news) actioner Half Past Dead) is also slated to coproduce the movie with Douglas Rosen.

Similar to Fox's current Fastlane, Jump Street followed a group of baby-faced rookie cops going undercover at their local high school to infiltrate gangs and drug dealers. It debuted on Fox in 1987 and ran for three seasons and then another year in syndication before being canceled in 1991.

More importantly, the show launched the career of Depp, who graduated from Tiger Beat pinup to much bigger success in such films as Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Dead Man, Donnie Brasco and more recently Blow.

No word whether the onetime teen idol has been approached to take a role in the feature, but given he's a good decade older (he's now 39) and a certified thespian, it's likely he won't be reprising his teenybopping alter ego of officer Tom Hanson.

On the flipside, the show's other resident hunk, Richard Greico, might be willing to reprise his role as officer Dennis Booker considering he hasn't been spotted in a major motion picture screen since appearing as himself in the1998 bomb A Night at the Roxbury.

Jump Street also costarred such as Frederic Forrest of Apocalypse Now fame, Peter and Michael DeLuise (news), Dustin Nguyen and Holly Robinson Peete, who also sang the theme song.

Ultimately, the chances of 21 Jump Street making like Charlie's Angels and becoming a big-screen player all depends on whether Cannell can churn out a good script. No word yet on a start date for the feature. Aside from his Jump Street duties, Cannell also has a deal with MGM to turn his novel King Con into a feature film.

Depp, meanwhile, is currently finishing up shooting on Disney's live-action Pirates of the Caribbean, based on the famed Disneyland attraction. That film is slated to hit theaters in June 2003.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_eo/10887&e=2
Old 11-26-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I loved this show its first season (Before Richard Grieco sp?). One of the four shows that launched Fox. Unfortunately I have grown up a bit since them so the movie may bite.
Old 11-26-02, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I'm surprised the TV series lasted.

It was essentially a show aimed at high school kids about narcs.
Old 11-26-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I liked the show and it shouldn't be too difficult to adopt for the big screen (that doesn't mean they should adopt it but who am I to say). They just used a similar premise on an episode of Boston Public so it's still relevant. Personally, I'd rather have seasons sets of the show on DVD but again, who am I to say.
Old 11-26-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
I liked the show and it shouldn't be too difficult to adopt for the big screen (that doesn't mean they should adopt it but who am I to say). They just used a similar premise on an episode of Boston Public so it's still relevant. Personally, I'd rather have seasons sets of the show on DVD but again, who am I to say.
If they do make the movie, I'm sure season sets will follow - marketing synergy, ya know. Perhaps they'll get Johnny Depp to do a cameo, since he's by far too old to play his character.
Old 11-10-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: "21 Jump Street": The Movie?

From Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: Channing Tatum has jumped to the top of the list for the lead of Sony Pictures's 21 Jump Street. I'm told that Tatum will soon be in negotiations to star alongside Jonah Hill. Production will begin in the spring. Based on the 1987 Stephen J. Cannell series that was one of the Fox Network's early successes and launched Johnny Depp, the movie was scripted by Michael Bacall based on a story he hatched with Hill. The film will be directed by Cloudy with the Chance of Meatballs helmers Phil Lord and Chris Miller. I'm told that the studio has met with a bunch of potential leading men and that Tatum and Hill matched up well. Both look youthful, which helps since the film is about undercover officers who infiltrate schools to fight crime. UTA-repped Tatum's creating some pre-release buzz for his comic turn as the other man in the Ron Howard-directed The Dilemma, which Universal released on January 14. He'll follow in a dramatic turn as a Roman soldier trying to reclaim his family honor in the Kevin Macdonald-directed The Eagle for Focus Features.

Well, not that I was interested before, but the addition of Tatum will ensure I never see this.
Old 11-10-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
From Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: Channing Tatum has jumped to the top of the list for the lead of Sony Pictures's 21 Jump Street. I'm told that Tatum will soon be in negotiations to star alongside Jonah Hill. Production will begin in the spring. Based on the 1987 Stephen J. Cannell series that was one of the Fox Network's early successes and launched Johnny Depp, the movie was scripted by Michael Bacall based on a story he hatched with Hill. The film will be directed by Cloudy with the Chance of Meatballs helmers Phil Lord and Chris Miller. I'm told that the studio has met with a bunch of potential leading men and that Tatum and Hill matched up well. Both look youthful, which helps since the film is about undercover officers who infiltrate schools to fight crime. UTA-repped Tatum's creating some pre-release buzz for his comic turn as the other man in the Ron Howard-directed The Dilemma, which Universal released on January 14. He'll follow in a dramatic turn as a Roman soldier trying to reclaim his family honor in the Kevin Macdonald-directed The Eagle for Focus Features.

Well, not that I was interested before, but the addition of Tatum will ensure I never see this.
What, you don't expect him to be the same dynamic actor of range that he was when he played Duke?
Old 11-10-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

There is no way in hell they are going to replicate the magic that was 21 jump street. Johnny Depp and Richard Grieco really made that show awesome. The first seasons were awesome.
Old 11-10-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Jonah Hill in 21 Jump St.
Old 11-10-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can just see it now ....

staring Johnny Depp
directed by Tim Burton
Old 11-10-10, 08:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My eyes bulged out of their sockets when I saw a thread started by none other than Aaron Amos.
Old 11-10-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
From Deadline:

Make it animated and I'll consider it.
Old 11-11-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Okay, I'll admit it. Other than I watched it and that I know of the few actors in it, I don't remember jack squat about it.
Old 11-12-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This damn well better be in 3D.
Old 03-10-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_833929.html

Why is it a comedy? There wasn't anything funny about the subject matters that the TV show dealt with.
Old 03-10-11, 02:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
This damn well better be a musical
fixed

Old 03-10-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Was this a contest with Chinese Democracy ?
Old 03-10-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_833929.html

Why is it a comedy? There wasn't anything funny about the subject matters that the TV show dealt with.
Yeah it was cutting edge drama.
Old 03-11-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yeah it was cutting edge drama.
Well, it definitely wasn't a comedy but you know what I'm getting at.
Old 03-11-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
There is no way in hell they are going to replicate the magic that was 21 jump street. Johnny Depp and Richard Grieco really made that show awesome. The first seasons were awesome.
Old 03-11-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Last edited by Sonic; 03-11-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Seriously *wipes tears of laughter from eyes* that show was ridiculous. Awesome maybe in a sorta nostalgic way at best, I could maybe see that...
Old 03-11-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I'm trying to figure out who is playing who... Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum? Ugh..
Old 11-02-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLoKtb4c4W0?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLoKtb4c4W0?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
I hate the cast, but I love the directors (Phil Lord and Chris Miller). The trailer did nothing for me, but I loved the gag at the end with Hill getting hit by the moving car.
Old 11-02-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That looks better than it should

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.