Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Is GOLDENEYE Widely Thought Of As A Superior Bond Film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like eversince TWINE, most of the reviews have had a line like ..."but its not a truly superior Bond movie along the line of Goldeneye".
ok.
i was there in '95. i was pumped for a new Bond movie and i'd been rooting for Brosnan ever since '86.
but from the horrendous tina turner theme song to the dopey tank chase to the low-pitch climax, this was one of the least enjoyable i've ever seen.
further, all my enthusiasm for Brosan dissipated very quickly as he displayed several qualities i hate in relation to this character-
• he seemed very brittle to me, both in physique and in poise (like the interogation scene).
you can take any of the other bonds, including Moore, and i always felt they had this cemented centerdness-poise, cool, whatever you want to call it. Brosnans cool on the other hand, struck me as being about as deep as the ice on my car window in Jan.
•the'frat boy who likes to drive dangerously fast to impress a woman with how much of a bad-boy he is" - this was probably the point where i got turned off. to me, this scene/behaviour was so juvenile, so 'show-offy', that instead of being impressed i thought "this guy is an a-hole".

i could go on and on, suffice to say this movie never enchanted me.
hearing so much good stuff about it in the ensuing years, i thought maybe i was just in a bad mood that day, and needed to give it a fresh look.
i made it thru about 40 min.s before i had to pack it in.
while i still haven't warmed to Brosnan (the least impressive Bond next to lazenby, imo) the last two have been a little more entertaining, but still seem like massively wasted opportunites.

[/end rant]
Old 11-21-02, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i loved goldeneye. its probably what made me interested inthe bond movies in the first place. i was about 12/13 at the time and didn't really know of the whole bond legacy. i remember seeing that movie and likeing it alot. then the video game came out for the N64 (probably the best videogame that ever was based on a movie, let alone on eof teh best videogames ever). from then on i was hooked. shortly after, thanks to the Bond marathons on TBS, i had seen every bond movie and was hooked on the series. goldeneye is probably on my top five list of bond films. i can only hope that Die Another Day is as good or better.
Old 11-21-02, 07:06 PM

I wasn't impressed with it when it came out, but now i quite like it. Not sure why...
Old 11-21-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I think that when Goldeneye came out it was more or less the impact of being the first Bond film in about six years. I remember being quite pumped for it myself as it came out my Freshman year in college and I hadn't laid eyes on a brand new 007 since I was in middle school. In all honesty, I liked the Tina Turner theme song, it sounded a lot like the old school material of Shirley Bassey.
I look back and realize that it was not a great film, but rather solid and entertaining. And to be honest, isn't that what a Bond movie is all about?
Old 11-21-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The Nintendo 64 game has it's influence, and for one reason or another it seemed like a movie ahead of its time - because I too didn't like it originally....fast forward a few years and I think it's one of the best Bond films I've seen and a great film overall.

(Lame reasoning I know but 'eh)
Old 11-21-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As Goldfinger was to Connery, GoldenEye is to Brosan
Old 11-21-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goldeneye, IMO, has the best well rounded story, great characters-villians, great atmosphere, and a fresh start.

It's just my favorite one.
Old 11-21-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goldeneye was the first Bond film I saw. I haven't missed one since. I do like The World is Not Enough a little more though (aside from the abyssimal acting[?] by Denise Richards).
Old 11-21-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
i'm curious....what's so bad about tomorrow never dies? i really enjoyed it...its possibly my favorite brosnan bond film. everyone seems to dismiss it quickly though.
Old 11-21-02, 10:45 PM

I'm glad someone posted this question...I'd been wondering myself. The first Brosnan flick I saw was The World Is Not Enough, followed by Tomorrow Never Dies, then Goldeneye. Goldeneye was the least entertaining to me - it just didn't have the poise or the over-the-top style I would expect, and seemed like just another shoot-em-up action movie. The World Is Not Enough was okay. My favorite? The much defiled Tomorrow Never Dies. Entertaining, poised, funny, slick.....I guess I'm just not normal.
Old 11-21-02, 10:46 PM

I've also wondered why so many like Goldeneye, I saw it once when it first was released and haven't seen it since. With so many people saying how good it is in other threads I always thought it was just me.
Old 11-21-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Tomorrow Never Dies: you are not alone, guys. This IMHO is the best of Brosnan bonds, and the best bond since 1977's The Spy Who Loved Me.
Old 11-21-02, 11:14 PM

the answer: sean bean.
Old 11-21-02, 11:16 PM

oh, and the girls were ****ing hot. and relatively unknowns.

plus it seemed more...well, realistic -- not as fantastic. after goldeneye, i rolled my eyes at the stupid "stealth boat".
Old 11-21-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goldeneye had some good things about it but TND seemed superior in every way except that lame Sheryl Crow theme song. The K.D. Lang over the end credits was 1000x better.
Old 11-21-02, 11:26 PM

"plus it seemed more...well, realistic -- not as fantastic. after goldeneye, i rolled my eyes at the stupid "stealth boat".

I guess I would just never consider using the ideas "realistic" and "James Bond" in the same sentance. It seems to me that total escapisim is the primary motive behind watching a Bond movie.
Old 11-21-02, 11:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GoldenEye was the first Bond film I saw, so I have a bias towards it. I like it because Bond is confronted with a former 00. The begining is fueled by Bond's vendetta, and then his vendetta is changed.

To me, Brosnan's portrayal of Bond keeps getting better with each movie.

My problem with Tomorrow Never Dies is the fact that I didn't think Pryce worked well as the lead villain. When he was holding a gun I started to laugh because it looked unbelievable. And his motives were also unbelievable. Starting an international incident so you can help get someone in power who will grant you television rights?? It like a perverse take on Goldfinger.

I also cringed when Michelle Yeoh yelled "Yah" when she SHOT at a machine.
Old 11-22-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goldeneye has a little something they call style. You can tell it's by a director with vision and who really has a knack for the action and visuals. Everything is beautifully shot (reminiscent of Luc Besson), and the whole production has an urgency and vitality. It's quite well-paced. Check out the standoff in the gas tank room. It's a mediocre scene on paper, but the director milks it for everything its worth and really takes it to the next level in terms of tension. The tank scene could not have been done better and the shootouts have an in-your-face energy missing from subsequent flicks.

Contrast this with the other Brosnan Bonds. They feel like they are made by the Hollywood "machine". That whole Hollywood studio safety net of editors and 2nd unit directors that ensure you will always get a baseline level of competence. No great shots, no really inventive director moments. But they sell the scene. And when the premise on paper is irresistible (eg, the remote control car scene in TND), then they are good enough translate it to the screen. But they don't improve much upon the basic idea. So when the idea isn't great, then they don't pick up the slack (the shootouts at the end of TND - TONS of gunfire, but completely boring; the stupefyingly dull parahawk scene in TWINE)

At least, that's my take on it.

Oh, Goldeneye was blessed with great fun characters with great lines performed perfectly by the actors. Xenia Onnatop, the programmer, the mafia guy. Even the general, who was not a great character, was still made memorable by that homunculus-looking actor who played him.

Last edited by ipkevin; 11-22-02 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-22-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually like it the least of the 3 Brosnans (I'm hoping that will stay true after I see D.A.D). It just didn't feel like the usual Bond fare.
Old 11-22-02, 01:17 AM

Although I've seen all the Bond films there are only 3 I really love. Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, and Goldeneye.

This is what I loved about Goldeneye:

- The opening intro worked for me. It was politically incorrect (lots of close ups of women and guns) in a time when I thought I was suffocating under the P.C. weight in mainstream movies. I really liked the title song sung by Tina Turner and written by Bono and the Edge.

- Brosnan has a sense of presence, like he was Bond all his life. Not since Connery has an actor carried the role so well.

- It has a Bond trademark scene. The car chase on the Riviera (Aston Martin vs. a Ferrari F355 no less) on the Riviera. Then ends with a game of Baccarat and the trademark phrase "Bond, James Bond". When I saw that I was grinning; "this is the Bond I love"

-Two of the best and memorable Bond girls ever. Famke Janssen and Izabella Scorupco. Did I mention they are incredibly beautiful as well?

- A bad guy (Sean Bean) that really seemed like someone who could outwit 007. Most Bond baddies are like cartoons, not 006.

- "A-hole"? oh yeah. 007 has always been a tad arrogant to some.

-How could you not love a scene with a Russian tank going against a train?

-Goldeneye is the least cartoonish of all the Bond movies.

-Martin Campbell (director) had a great sense of pacing and I think Goldeneye is the most energetic Bond movie I've seen. He took all the old Bond cliches and gave it the fresh look that we've now come to expect. And none of the action scenes in Goldeneye seemed too over the top for a Bond movie. I wouldn't be surprised to see "sharks with friggin lasers" attached to their heads in other Bond movies, but not Goldeneye. Die Another Day (I hope) will be as good as Goldeneye.

Last edited by Ian11; 11-22-02 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-22-02, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tomorrow never dies had some pretty funny lines...

Remember when Brosnan is fleeing from the big newspaper press and he throws a guy into the presser and he gets squashed? "They'll print anything these days." Had me luaghing for a long time. And when he is told of Chakra torture and how horrible it is? "I would have thought listening to your news shows was bad enough".
Old 11-22-02, 04:46 AM

I also liked Goldeneye the best out of the 3 Brosnan Bond movies. Tomorrow Never Dies is actually not too bad except for I didn't really care for the villain. The villain trying to manipulate the media into creating an incident is not the typical Bond villan who are usually more direct in their method of taking over the world. Also, I didn't think that scene with the chopper slicing through the buildings to be very realistic. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool scene, but just too out there.
Old 11-22-02, 08:45 AM

I thought Godeneyeis the worst bond film. And I can still remember why, there's a scene where Izabella Scorupco went to a computer store and asked to a PC specs. I remember her saying 200 (or something) megaherts drive. You don't say megaherts on a drive.
Old 11-22-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, if you are complaining about a car chase through Europe - which is A BOND STAPLE..you need to re-watch the movies. It happens in almost all of them...,most notably Goldfinger, For Your Eyes Only, On her Majesty's Secret Service.

Mission Impossible 2 and Woo ripped that scene off so bad its not funny.
Old 11-22-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goldeneye is a decent Bond picture. But I don't think it would be praised so much if it didn't inspire the greatest console FPS ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.