Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened with "The Core"? It was supposed to come out November 1!?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what is going with this movie? It was supposed to come on November 1. Why is it being delayed? Anyone have idea on when it's coming out to movie theaters or why it's delayed?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-02, 11:27 PM

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808403562
Old 11-19-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just trying to figure out how they could make a two hour film about going through molten rock in a tiny little pod. Do they play cards and the card game is interesting? or does the air condition break... and then the dryer! and then the radio!
Old 11-19-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It looks pretty bad if you ask me.

Though I would have to actually see it to say it's bad or not... actually it looks pretty bad plain and simple.
Old 11-20-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just don't see how they can make travelling to the core of the earth exciting, they're just sitting in a little ship and fixing malfunctions or whatever.
Old 11-20-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
One word: Armageddon.
Old 11-20-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope you didn't mean that in a positive way...

But even Armageddon, the swill it is, has something for the characters to do. What are they going to do in the core? sit in the bloody ship as it goes down deeper and deeper. Then when they get there, detonate the nuke. Oh, and they'll yell out "The preasure is at crtical levels!" a few times, I'm sure.
Old 11-20-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by RichC2
One word: Armageddon.
The Core appears to make Armageddon look like Citizen Kane.
Old 11-20-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this movie at a test screening back in September. The effects were not fully finished yet. I remember them saying when they delayed the movie in October it's because they needed more time for the effects, so it's a believable reason. But then again, there were only a few effects that weren't finished, as far as I could tell.

There is , however, a VERY good scene that is a homage to "The Birds" that I really enjoyed. Basically because the earth's core is slowing down, things are messing up all over earth. (Compasses don't work correctly, birds fly into buildings because they get confused as to what direction they are flying in!) Overall, if you get into disaster films, like Deep Impact and things like that, you might like this. Of course, it does have its problems, and I won't be seeing it again. The whole premise is hokey to begin with. I'm curious to see if they keep the ending the same...
Old 11-20-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So does the bulk of the plot deal with the effects on the earth? or the going to the core? the trailers implied (to me anyways) that it was the journy to the core that was the plot, which would make little sense to me.
Old 11-20-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It looks pretty bad if you ask me.

Though I would have to actually see it to say it's bad or not... actually it looks pretty bad plain and simple.
My feelings exactly, I'll pass on it.
Old 11-20-02, 05:10 PM
Banned

Nothing can make Armageddon look like Citizen Kane. The Core looks a lot better and it looks like it actually has a script. Plus it has Aaron Echart in it and Brucheimer doesnt have anything to do with it.
Thats good enough for me.
Old 11-20-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does have to do with going to the core. They create a sort of module that can go into the earth and they travel towards the core. It's semi-entertaining. The audience I saw it with seemed to like it, but for me it was just "bleh". If I had paid to see it I wouldn't be very happy. It was free, so I didn't really mind that much. Eckhart and Swank do good jobs, but some things bothered me and i'm not sure if they will change some of their scenes or the ending, or what they will do.

It also has D.J. Qualls, he plays a computer hacker who has a penchant for "Hot Pockets!". He's the best part of the entire movie, he's really funny.