Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars:Return of the Jedi question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

At the end of Episode VI, we see celebrations going on throughout the galaxy as a result of the Empire's defeat. One of these is Coruscant.
While it was nice to see Corsucant in the OT, especially since it had never been seen before, something just doesn't make sense. Why would Coruscant be celebrating if it was the stronghold of the Empire? Would Germany be celebrating once they were defeated? The only way the place could have such joy is if a much larger rebellion occurred on the planet itself, which given the strong imperial presence would seem close to impossible.
Old 11-06-02, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were living under an oppressive regime, and that government feel, wouldn't you want to celebrate? I know I would. The scene in which they are celebrating on Corusant also shows them toppling a statue of the Emperor, much like the Russians taking down the statue of Lenin when the Soviet Union fell.
Old 11-06-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Good question. I suspect we'll learn in Episode III that the Empire is pretty much the result of a power grab by one madman, and the average citizen doesn't much like it, but has little power to do anything about in the face of the overwhelming clone army and no organized opposition other than a small band of rebels. Brute force keeps them in line, and none of the planets in the republic have any real military power to combat the empire.
Old 11-06-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by randy1320
If you were living under an oppressive regime, and that government feel, wouldn't you want to celebrate? I know I would. The scene in which they are celebrating on Corusant also shows them toppling a statue of the Emperor, much like the Russians taking down the statue of Lenin when the Soviet Union fell.
yup
Old 11-06-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well okay, the argument that they were glad the oppressive govt. fell sits with me.

My main question is: how were the citizens able to rise up against what was sure to be the largest stronghold of the empire? If they had a massive clone army I am sure they were in abudnance on Coruscant. Being an empire, I am sure the citizens were not allowed many weapons to avoid such an uprising. Also, if a govt's powerful leader were killed, wouldn't the homebase do their best to keep such news from reaching the populace and giving them hope? This seemed to happen in a sudden manner.
Old 11-06-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plot inconsistancies in Star Wars?!?!? GET OUT!!!!
Old 11-06-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
My main question is: how were the citizens able to rise up against what was sure to be the largest stronghold of the empire? If they had a massive clone army I am sure they were in abudnance on Coruscant. Being an empire, I am sure the citizens were not allowed many weapons to avoid such an uprising. Also, if a govt's powerful leader were killed, wouldn't the homebase do their best to keep such news from reaching the populace and giving them hope? This seemed to happen in a sudden manner.
As fast as news travels here on earth, I am sure that news travels even faster throughout the civilized parts of the Star Wars galaxy. Maybe the Rebels used their droids to send out the news instantly to all of the Palm Pilots and video terminals throughout the galaxy, hell even R2 D2 didn't have much of a problem accessing the Death Star's computer, or any other computer for that matter.
Old 11-06-02, 11:28 AM
Banned

Well okay, the argument that they were glad the oppressive govt. fell sits with me.

Internet.
Old 11-06-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In the books, I think the Rogue Squadron series, they talk about how they went and took Coruscant after the Emporor was killed, but it took a while to happen. This could have been mentioned in the Zahn trilogy, it has been a while since I read it, but basically the Empire pretty much dispersed, leaving a decent stronghold on Coruscant, which the Rebellion took with little problem. But, the SE cut of ROTJ, being Lucas's vision and all, would be more accurate, and perhaps the Empire cleared out as soon as they heard of the fall of the Emperor.

-CM-
Old 11-06-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
From what I understand, the emperor exerts some degree of control over everyone serving in the Empire in the sense that he uses the Force to coordinate attacks, strategize etc. His death caused chaos and pandemonium which is why the battles at the end of Jedi went completely in favor of the Rebels after the Emperor's death. Consider that after the Falcon escapes from the Death Star, there are still a whole fleet of Star Destroyers there along with command ships and tie fighters. None of them attack.

I'm sure there is more to this, and I may be drawing a bit on the Eu (Extended Universe) as well to prove my point.

BTW, I don't think that there are too many plot inconsistencies in the original trilogy.

SPY
Old 11-06-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the books really bring things into perspective. As far as the movie goes, I always imagined it was an underground rebel cell that decided it was time to party. Overall, I think it's mostly a visual statement that says the Empire has been toppled.
Old 11-06-02, 01:59 PM
Retired

Yeah, the books show that the emperor controlled pretty much all his army with the force and that this extensive use of the darkside was why he looked so decayed.

But of course, many don't like to bring the EU into movie discussions.

So on that note, perhaps the bulk of the army was engaged at the Battle of Endor. Or perhaps give that their leader had just been killed, the remaining gov't officials on Coruscant had more important things to worry about than some rioters knocking down a statue.

But what it really comes down to is that the Star Wars movies are just fluff entertainment, not meant to be over-analyzed like an art film. Don't get me wrong, they're my favorite movies, but they are purely entertainment.
Old 11-06-02, 04:28 PM

Re: Star Wars:Return of the Jedi question

Why would Coruscant be celebrating if it was the stronghold of the Empire? Would Germany be celebrating once they were defeated?
to put it in perspective.... not every German Citizen was a Nazi in 1942

there were probably many living on courscant who apposed the empire, or at the least disliked it ....they were the one celelbrating
Old 11-06-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by bothanspy
....Consider that after the Falcon escapes from the Death Star, there are still a whole fleet of Star Destroyers there along with command ships and tie fighters. None of them attack.

SPY

Yeah right...

Lucas just forgot to write that in.

He was too busy composing corny music for the Ewok party and missed this.
Old 11-06-02, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
]

He was too busy composing corny music for the Ewok party and missed this.
awwww....who doesn't love Yub-Yub!!?
Old 11-06-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey! Knock Lucas all you want, but leave John Williams out of it!

-CM-
Old 11-07-02, 08:41 AM

I still feel bad for the plumbers on the Death Star.
Old 11-07-02, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Re: Star Wars:Return of the Jedi question

Why would Coruscant be celebrating if it was the stronghold of the Empire? Would Germany be celebrating once they were defeated? The only way the place could have such joy is if a much larger rebellion occurred on the planet itself, which given the strong imperial presence would seem close to impossible.
Simple - what you DIDNT see is the squads of stormtroopers decending on the riot to pacify the crowd as soon as the camera pans away. They even mentioned it in the X-Wing comic - an Imperial officer complimented Ysanne Isard (head of Courscant's internal security) on putting down the riff-raff so quickly after the Emperor's death.
Old 11-07-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Star Wars:Return of the Jedi question

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Simple - what you DIDNT see is the squads of stormtroopers decending on the riot to pacify the crowd as soon as the camera pans away. They even mentioned it in the X-Wing comic - an Imperial officer complimented Ysanne Isard (head of Courscant's internal security) on putting down the riff-raff so quickly after the Emperor's death.

YEs, but that is EU (Extended Universe), which is not accepted as true SW canon. I would buy it, but GL doesn't and neither do a lot of fanboys. As a fanboy myself, I am looking for a good logical explanation.
Old 11-07-02, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: Re: Star Wars:Return of the Jedi question

YEs, but that is EU (Extended Universe), which is not accepted as true SW canon. I would buy it, but GL doesn't and neither do a lot of fanboys. As a fanboy myself, I am looking for a good logical explanation.
Ok, lets leave the non-movie stuff out of it - it's still a logical explanation. Is it unreasonable to assume that there are a ton of imperial troops on Courscant, being the seat of power and all. Heck, even a relatively small contingent of heavily armed and highly trained troops should be enough to put the rioters in their place.

And even if we were liberal in our assumption that Palpatine took most of his command staff to the Death Star with him, there were had to be somebody at home running the day to day stuff. There was probably more than enough command structure left in place to deal with any problems that arose.

Given all that, it doesn't seem that far of a stretch that the riot would be put down pretty damn quick.