Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LOTR Extended Edition 12-hour marathon screening!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

LOTR Extended Edition 12-hour marathon screening!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's okay then, I'd have gone for free but not for something that will cost me. I'm a freeloader. Thanks for the offer before you changed your mind. LOL. Seriously though, thanks.
Old 11-08-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Cornell, I see it more as a "win-win" thing. ANd whoever attends can get a free LotR EE DVD in addition to a full day of entertainment with food & drink. win-win...
Old 11-12-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the event in Los Angeles went through without a hitch. The screening took place at The Grove movie theater next to the KCBS studio near Beverly Hills. The theater itself was just one of the many shops/attractions in a fairly new outdoor-plaza.

The event was a special engagement at the theater and only those who were invited could attend. There was a desk of three New Line Cinema representatives checking-off the guests from a list of names.
The event promptly began at 12 noon with the first of the two supplementary features discs in the LOTR: Extended Edition set. I have to say that watching 6-hours worth of extra features (with a 15-minute break half-way through to switch discs) is quite a test of endurance.
My back was ready to collapse and my bladder ready to explode. Fortunately, the restroom was close by and getting up to walk and stretch-out was a relief.

One of the New Line Cinema reps announced after the 'special features marathon' that we would be switching to the theater next door to watch the feature presentation with a digital projector. That got everyone hyped-up and so we all applauded after that announcement.

The movie began at approximately 7:30pm. There was a short clip that played signifying that the presentation was being played through a Texas Instrument DLP projector. After having seen the results, all I can say is: (in my best Will Smith voice) "I have GOT to get me one of theese!"
Before the movie, we also saw the Two Towers trailer which ran for approximately 2-3 minutes.
The picture quality of the feature presentation was simply amazing for a movie shot on film. I originally thought the movie was going to be viewed right off of the 2-discs, but was from their own digital source instead. After some thought, this made sense since the soundtrack in the DVD set is produced for the 'Home Theater' set-up and would sound awful in a large movie theater with more than a dozen speakers.

At any rate, kudos to the New Line Cinema staff that put this event together. They provided everyone with enough vouchers to redeem drinks/food at the concession stand.
They awarded three of the guests with the best costumes the Limited Edition Gift Set. If I recall correctly, a fully dressed Gandalf, a Ring Wraith, and, a Legolas were the top three winners.
Finally, the New Line Cinema reps handed out tickets to all those in a costume to receive 'for FREE' the LOTR Extended Edition 4-disc set at the nearby Virgin Megastore.
The final surprise came when I learned Sean Austin would be there to sign the disc set. I personally would have preferred having Peter Jackson's autograph on my DVD, but that didn't stop me from getting Sean's.

It was a brutal 12-hour event but all the free stuff made it worthwhile.
If anyone here attended the New York event, chime-in and share your experience. I would love to read about it.