Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Julia Roberts and Kirsten Dunst filming scenes in my town

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone

Julia Roberts and Kirsten Dunst are filming some scenes for a new film called "Mona Lisa Smile" here in New Haven, CT where I live. Shooting is taking place on Chapel Street near the Yale Museum of Art.

Funny thing though, for the past few weeks there was a "tent city" on the New Haven Green to protest the city's treatment of the homeless. The day before shooting started the city opened up extra space in the homeless shelters to whisk them off the streets. The last thing the mayor wanted was for the director to go back to Hollywood and say "Oh man what a dump that town New Haven was. I mean homeless sleeping in the park. UGH. Never gonna go back there again.". It's amazing what this town will do to avoid embarrassment.

Old 11-02-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch...this will be a tough one to consider seeing.

One the one hand i like Kirsten Dunst...on the other i cannot tolerate Julia Roberts....

i'll probably just have to pass on the entire movie.
Old 11-02-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll paypall you a $1 if you can get a date with Kirsten Dunst
Old 11-02-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goat3001
I'll paypall you a $1 if you can get a date with Kirsten Dunst
What you don't think I've been trying that already? :groucho:
Old 11-03-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was reading some college guide and it said the worst thing about Yale was New Haven. Is it really that bad? I think it said not to go to town at night alone.

Brian
Old 11-03-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After the San Diego Comic Con a few years back, I saw Kirstin Dunst waling around in a shopping center with a friend. We had seen her at the Con, as she was there promoting The Crow: Salvation. It was pretty cool to see her just walking around in a public place like that.

-CM-
Old 11-03-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bdshort
I was reading some college guide and it said the worst thing about Yale was New Haven. Is it really that bad? I think it said not to go to town at night alone.

Brian
I've lived here for a while and I'll admit that for a town of this size it has an inordinate amount of problems for such a small town. Alot of it stems from urban flight. People fled to the suburbs a while back and the city government is pretty corrupt. The best way to describe New Haven is that it's like a "checkerboard". You have $350,000 home in one part of town then a half mile down the road you have a crack house and alot of boarded up buildings. I often call New Haven "the Bizarro World".

Old 11-03-02, 02:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Julia Roberts Shoots Movie at Yale
Sunday November 3 11:47 AM ET
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ap/2002...635282000.html

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) The stately halls of Yale University got a shot of Hollywood glamour this weekend with Julia Roberts in town to shoot scenes for her new movie, "Mona Lisa Smile."

Yale stands in for the Massachusetts campus of Wellesley College in 1953 for the movie about an art history professor, played by Roberts, who helps young female students find themselves.

Giant tents have been set up on the New Haven Green to accommodate the film crew. Shooting will take place in a Yale classroom, library and art museum.

The movie also stars Kirsten Dunst and Julia Stiles.
Old 11-04-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road trip!