Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Watching Spiderman again...does DaFoe deserve an Oscar for this?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Was Willem Dafoe Oscar worthy in Spiderman?
Dafoe deserves an Academy Award
10.28%
Hell no, are you nuts?
85.98%
Twikoff edges him out by a vote
3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Watching Spiderman again...does DaFoe deserve an Oscar for this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dafoe was great in Spider-Man, but some of his best acting was in Platoon.
Old 11-04-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
You know I was thinking the same thing... especially because of that scene when he is talking to himself in the study and his mask is hanging on the chair... that still creeps me out.

I voted
Same here, I was just thinking that EXACT thing when I watched it again with the kids. Oscars have been given out for a lot worse and less performances. Just because it was a comic book movie should not lessen the impact of his performance. It made the movie and he was no less than great in it. He should at the very least be nominated.
Old 11-04-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys watch Auto Focus.

If he gets nominated...it will be for that film...

...not Spider-man.
Old 11-04-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conscience
You guys watch Auto Focus.

If he gets nominated...it will be for that film...

...not Spider-man.
I have, your poor attempt to be-little his performance in Spider-Man notwithstanding. He is better in Spider-Man IMHO...

As it goes though he should be nominated for at least one of them. He has put in to very good performances this year. Can't say that about many actors this year.
Old 11-04-02, 11:11 AM
Retired

No way, he's good, but not great.

Plus a lot of the scenes he's in his costume, which makes his acting job a little easier, since facial expression don't factor into the equation.
Old 11-04-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is certainly a precedent for supporting actors in genre movies that score bofo box-office to get nominations, although they never seem to win.

Off the top of my head, I recall that Alec Guinness was nominated for Star Wars back in '77.

Jack Nicholson was nominated for Batman back in 1990.

Others have cited Al Pacino in "Dick Tracy" and McKellan in "LOTR".

Tommy Lee Jones was nominated and won for "The Fugitive" (a great performance in a great movie that managed to transcend it's genre, although I still think it's fair to label it a 'genre' film).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Willem Dafoe gets a nomination for Spider Man, although I don't think he'd have much of a shot at winning.
Old 11-04-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by d2cheer
I have, your poor attempt to be-little his performance in Spider-Man notwithstanding. He is better in Spider-Man IMHO...
Mr/Miss Smug:

Did you read in my post that I said he was bad? I found the question asked in thread to be funny because (IMO---) he was not that good in Spider-man, and I wouldn't think he would get a nomination for that film. I never wrote that he was not good. And I found his performance in Auto Focus...to be seventeen steps above his performance as Green Goblin.

Maybe you should take your poor attempt at snide comments and pose them on someone else...someone who gives a damn.

thank you. have a nice day.

If it's anything...I hate when someone takes my words and poses them to make themselves seem smart....
Old 11-04-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr/Miss Smug:

Did you read in my post that I said he was bad? I found the question asked in thread to be funny because (IMO---) he was not that good in Spider-man, and I wouldn't think he would get a nomination for that film. I never wrote that he was not good. And I found his performance in Auto Focus...to be seventeen steps above his performance as Green Goblin.

Maybe you should take your poor attempt at snide comments and pose them on someone else...someone who gives a damn.

thank you. have a nice day.

If it's anything...I hate when someone takes my words and poses them to make themselves seem smart....

YAWN.........

SMART??? I don't seem smart I am smart just ask me. Your comments with your little laughing face in front of Spiderman speaks volumes. Now you try and back off of them by saying that you never wrote that he was bad??? You didn't have to your little laughing face did it for you and now you try and hide from it???

I am having a nice day, OH and by the way if you didn't give a damn you would not have to defend your comments and in the process attempt to try and make me look bad(which I don't regardless of what you think).

Dear Mr./Miss Smug.... Oh that is intelligent, and really hurts by the way. Take you awhile to think that up??
Me smug... re-read your post... can be interpreted many ways...

Write what you must I have said what I have said and will not comment on this anymore regardless of any SUPER intelligent post you may have on this.
Old 11-04-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since the Internet does not exist in one central location, since it exists above and below (being relative terms) the equator, I'm wondering: when a thread goes down the toilet, does the water swirl clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Children, children! Please! Let's all eat our milk and cookies and sing "John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt" in a rondo, while hopping on one foot and picking our neighbor's nose, like the good little first-graders we all really are at heart.

Enough of this bickering! ENOUGH! Go to your rooms!

Now back to the topic-

Yes, I think Willem Dafoe should win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Spider Man, because I once met Willem Dafoe and he did not have me arrested like Kate Winslet did when I broke into her house.
Old 11-04-02, 03:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No.

Although Benny from L.A. Law deserved one for Darkman.

(Just kidding).
Old 11-04-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by bardevious
Since the Internet does not exist in one central location, since it exists above and below (being relative terms) the equator, I'm wondering: when a thread goes down the toilet, does the water swirl clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Children, children! Please! Let's all eat our milk and cookies and sing "John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt" in a rondo, while hopping on one foot and picking our neighbor's nose, like the good little first-graders we all really are at heart.

Enough of this bickering! ENOUGH! Go to your rooms!

Now back to the topic-

Yes, I think Willem Dafoe should win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Spider Man, because I once met Willem Dafoe and he did not have me arrested like Kate Winslet did when I broke into her house.

this thread really did bite it. LOL
Old 11-04-02, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl
Al Pacino was nominated for Dick Tracy-he didn't win either.
Pacino could get nominated for walking his doggie.
Old 11-04-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't seem smart
Old 11-04-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
It was a pretty good performance (the best in the film?) but he doesn't deserve an Oscar nomination.
Old 11-04-02, 07:50 PM

no oscar for willie. but, hes the only person aside from raimi who brought any class to the film.
Old 11-04-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

YAWN.........
Sleepy?

SMART??? I don't seem smart I am smart just ask me. Your comments with your little laughing face in front of Spiderman speaks volumes. Now you try and back off of them by saying that you never wrote that he was bad??? You didn't have to your little laughing face did it for you and now you try and hide from it???????
Actually, like I said before (and I stand by what I say):

The laughing face was to thought that he would get an Oscar nod. I never said he was bad. Trust me. If he were bad, I would open the flood gates and let you know. I have no problem with telling people the real deal. You just want so badly for it to be what you think. But guess what! The world does not revolve around you.

I am having a nice day, OH and by the way if you didn't give a damn you would not have to defend your comments and in the process attempt to try and make me look bad(which I don't regardless of what you think).
I am glad you are having a nice day. I really don't give a damn, but I do give a damn when you try and become smug to me...and no is going to get away with that. I know what you are doing. Trying to make yourself feel better by pretending to be right....it's not going to work.

Dear Mr./Miss Smug.... Oh that is intelligent, and really hurts by the way. Take you awhile to think that up??
Me smug... re-read your post... can be interpreted many ways...
That was a good one, wasn't it !!!? It took me about a minute because that single post gave your personality away quick (as being smug)! Sorry it hurt. I hope you get better...and hopefully pull more of your EXCELLENT sarcastic comments on others! I am sure everyone loves them! And am so looking forward to it!

Write what you must I have said what I have said and will not comment on this anymore regardless of any SUPER intelligent post you may have on this.
Okay. But I am going to comment. I don't drop out of a great argument. I don't want the people on this forum to think of me as a quitter.....I would rather them think me a smug person like some people on here.

Have a great evening! I hope I lived up to the SUPER intelligent post, because I so want to hear more of your great comments! They make me laugh!
Old 11-05-02, 12:37 AM

Just the other day I was watching the Willem Dafoe episode of Fishing With John, and I started thinking about his performance in Spiderman. I thought he gave the only very good performance in the movie, but nothing Oscar-worthy.
Old 11-05-02, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
For Spidey, no. However, I saw Auto Focus today and think he deserves a nod for it. I haven't seen many other strong supporting performances this year (aside from Yoda), and don't know whether he deserves the win, but it gets irritating to see him nominated in that category so much and keep losing.
I agree. Dafoe's acting in "Auto Focus" was amazing.
Old 11-05-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

a DaFoe thread and no mention of 'Mississippi Burning'?

i voted 'hell no', by the way.
Old 11-05-02, 09:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
He was a great choice to play the Green Goblin, but he does not deserve an Oscar.
Old 11-05-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bardevious
Jack Nicholson was nominated for Batman back in 1990.
BTW,

Jack Nicholson wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this film. Maybe you were thinking of the Golden Globe.
Old 11-05-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW,

Jack Nicholson wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this film. Maybe you were thinking of the Golden Globe.

Ooooops! You're right, my bad. I must've been thinking about his other comic book performance from "A Few Good Men", for which he was nominated.
Old 11-05-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by jarofclay73
Dafoe was great in Spider-Man, but some of his best acting was in Platoon.
I think Dafoe's best work is still "To Live and Die in L.A.".