Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about test screenings

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-01-02, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I hear about all these movies that get screened for certain people. Usually they're in their rough cut form, now if I may ask: who are these people? Are they critics or regular joe sixpacks? Its a practice that really needs to stop in Hollywood. A film is art and when you put it out and have the audience diactate what stays and what gets cut..what the hell are you doing? Why don't you just give the audience a camera!! A movie is made like a painting, you release it to the public and some people either love it or they don't. Anyway, who are the people that go to test screenings? Regular people?
Old 11-02-02, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they use regular people? Hmmm. Now that I think about this, maybe they mimic the car industry but instead of crash test dummies use movie test dummies? Of some sort or another...
Old 11-04-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Film may be art to the guy who finances the film himself or is given complete creative control, including final cut....and even those six guys don't always make good movies.

A studio is a factory that produces movies...they have to do taste test to make sure the audience likes what there products tastes like. To do anything else would be fiscally irresponsible and just plain stupid.

And it is the general public, they tend to recruit people in high traffic areas, malls and such. After the movie they'll have people fill out response cards and such and they'll also have a smaller focus group to get more indepth responses.

Seriously, its been going on for a long time....most every movie you've ever seen has been through this process, so if it didn't bother you yesterday, why should it bother you tomorrow?
Old 11-04-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in L.A. and I get offered tickets to test screenings every once in a while. Most test screenings are done by NRG (National Research Group). After the movie, usually there are no credits, the lights come up, and before anyone can get up and leave, a bunch of NRG employees rush around the theater passing out cards and pencils for you to fill out.

The cards ask questions such as :

Did you consider the movie-
-Excellent-
-Good-
-Fair-
-Bad-

and :

"Were there any scenes you did or didn't like" and they ask about the music, and the story, and the actors, etc....."

I generally get offered tickets when I am going to the theater to see a movie with my friends, and somebody in front of the theatre offers us tickets to a free movie that will be screening in a few days. It's as simple as that. They just recruit whoever walks by and looks like they might want to see a free movie.
Old 11-05-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, I know of at least 2 theaters around me where they offer tickets to test screenings every day. Literally, there is someone out in front of the theatre every day giving out tickets. I never really go because the screenings are always during the week.

As for their value, test screenings aren't just to find out what the mainstream audience will like or dislike. When you're making a movie, it can be difficult to know how effective certain scenes work or don't work. The best way to know is to show it to an audience to see when they react and at what. Believe it or not, many films are drastically improved after a test screening. Editing is tightened. Scenes that didn't work are taken out. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with test screenings.

Movies are not like paintings. Most movies are designed to get some kind or reaction or emotional response from the audience. When cutting a film together, the director and editor are often too close to the project to evaluate if the film is getting that response. Again, the best way to know it to show it to people.

Last edited by sherm42; 11-05-02 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-05-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that maybe part of the problem with these test screenings is that they're always, always, always held in bland, sunny southern California or (less frequently) in the warm, friendly bosom of shameless consumerism that is the Mall of America (Minnesota).

From what I've heard, if you live in certain parts of L.A., you never have to pay for the price of a movie admission - ever.
Old 11-05-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
i used to frequent test screenings alot. those that give out the flyers are paid by the amount of flyers handed out vs. people that show up. there is a number to call in and a code to give.

think of it as taking a pepsi challenge. you sit down, you're not really told what the movie is, you watch it (after the disclaimer about not bering finished, temp sound track, hasn't been color corrected, etc.) and you comment about it afterwards via questionaire and/or focus group.

i have yet to decide if test screeners work. i've seen some great movies that never get released, some awful ones that do, i've seen original cuts that change drastically for the better and for worse. i've been with a diverse audience of different age groups and ethnicities. and i've been in groups with only 1 or 2 demographics represented.

funny thing is, i'm not even supposed to be in them and yet at least 1/5 of the audience are in the industry.
Old 11-05-02, 12:29 PM
Banned

As far as, "What kind of people do they get?" I'll share this story. NRG used to recruit people on my college campus, and I'm never one to turn down a free movie. So the lady asks "are you free on the evening of the 15th", and I say, "Yes". Then here second question, "Are you a film student or are you currently enrolled in any film studies courses?" I say, "Yes I'm a film student." She said no way.

Aparently they want a sample that is as biased toward idiocy as possible. They don't allow film students, or anyone who might potentially be film literate, to come to the screenings.

Last edited by Pants; 11-05-02 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-05-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Aparently they want a sample that is as biased toward idiocy as possible. They don't allow film students, or anyone who might potentially be film literate, come to the screenings.
of course not... they want the mindless droves that go see scooby doo & josie and the pussycats
Old 11-05-02, 01:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The only work in progress screening I had attended (in DC, go figure?) was for that movie "Hearts and Souls" which starred Robert Downey Jr.