Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When do you think a 9/11 movie will hit theaters?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When do you think a 9/11 movie will hit theaters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-02-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
You forgot the "Directed by Michael Bay" tagline across the top.

For the original post, the question was legitimate enough but the comments after about burning, etc. were a bit out of line and too graphic showing why this is still a touchy subject and won't be made anytime soon.
As was mentioned before, I'm surprised there hasn't been a TV movie about flight 93 yet.
Old 11-02-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: When do you think a 9/11 movie will hit theaters?

Originally posted by ashegam
Can't wait to see one, imagine all the special effects like the planes hiting the buildings or people jumping off and smashing on the ground or getting roasted in the fire etc....

So when do you think it will be out?

I also can't wait to see the extras on the DVD like the making of and or maybe a unrated directors cut version?

what do you foresee?

Seeing as I was completely disgusted by your comments, hopefully not for a long time....I am partial to wishing never, BTW.
Old 11-03-02, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think "ashegam" is looking for a little attention from the Forum, looks like he is getting it.
Old 11-03-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was sickened with what Micheal Bay did with Pearl Habor, and I was born 30 years after it happened! I can't imagine how sick I'd get over a 9/11 film made in the same way!
Old 11-03-02, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait to see one, imagine all the special effects like the planes hiting the buildings or people jumping off and smashing on the ground or getting roasted in the fire etc....
You're looking forward to seeing all this happen, are you?
Old 11-03-02, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also: The reason talking about/watching movies on Pearl Harbor may not be so bad for many of us is that we weren't born yet in 1941. (Of course there are also many people who were alive back then and remember the event well.) For all of us who saw and experienced the tragedies of 9/11, we might be just a little more reluctant to look forward to this kind of movie.
Old 11-03-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Making a movie about 9/11 isn't any more wrong or sick than making a movie about any other tragedy that has ever occured - and A LOT worse tragedies have occured....

But since this was the first really big tragedy where America got to feel the pain and frustration many nations have felt before them, and realised that they might not be invinsible, it probably won't make box office history any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it was a tragedy and I do feel synpathetic, but sometimes it just seems like too many people regard this as the greates tragedy ever - simply because it happened in the US.
Considering how many innocent people die every year because of equally meaningless acts of violence, a death toll of 2.795 isn't the greatest tragedy of our generation.
Old 11-03-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
"Bowling For Columbine" is in theaters now and it includes 9/11 footage.
Old 11-03-02, 04:08 PM
Banned

Tragic short

Saw an eleven minute short at a film festival. It was really well done and about the 9/11 loss. It involved a man and a woman who saw each other on the way to work each morning, they devoloped a friendship but never really new much abotu each other. After the attack the man didn't see her and found out she was killed in the attack. Pretty tragic and heartbreaking example of one of the many films. It didn't show the attacks, It just showed the human side of the story.

Last edited by cinten; 11-03-02 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-03-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My take:

For something like Pearl Harbor and other movies depicting American tragedies, most people see them because they feel distanced from the event.... they're curious about what happened that day because they weren't around back then.

If a movie about 9/11 was made- a love story, action story, or whatever- I really don't think our generation would want to see all that gut-wrenching stuff again. Well, not that many people would anyway. At least I know I wouldn't. So I think the studios would consider how much money they would LOSE first before embarking on a project like this in the next 10-20 years.
Old 11-03-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My first thought on reading the thread title was, "What could they possibly show in this movie?" What the hell kind of story are they going to contrive around this event? It's a stupid idea and it better not happen.
Old 11-03-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well huzefa, they've already done it with things like Titanic and Pearl Harbor... (and a lesser extent historical movies like Braveheart I guess... but those are so so old, and full of so much fiction that I don't really consider them in the same class... it's better made anyways...)

They will exploit 9/11 eventually. Making some stupid story about it. How about a firefighter is in love with a flight attendent? and they're going to get married on September 12th. But oh no! Osma Bin Laden has something to say about THAT! There can be little side storys too... and of course, ALL movies have to have a happy ending right? and since we don't have one, we'll have to make one up. How about George W Bush, and the vengful firefighter being parachuted to Osma's cave, where they Rambo their way to Laden, and take turns (because honorable americans fight fair, one on one!) fist fighting him! yes yes! go go go!
Old 11-03-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i forsee a movie like this being made sometime in the future. When? No clue. But, it could be done (pardon the word) correctly and respectfully as a combined project by all/most major movie studios. Effects companies(ILM) would give great detail to things we didnt see. This movie with an all star cast and done right would bring in like 300 million? Then turn around and donate the $$$ to help the survivors/families.
Old 11-03-02, 07:58 PM

My guess is 22.3 years from now.
Old 11-03-02, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
Then turn around and donate the $$$ to help the survivors/families.
Yep, cause they are having trouble living off the $1.5 million given to them by the gov't, the life insurance policies, and the millions raised by knee-jerk benefit concerts. They've already received way more than they are entitled to. But that's another thread.
Old 11-03-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Millions of people died in World War 2, and the profits from the films don't go to the familys. Dito on Vietnam, an even more recent war where more people died then on 9/11...
Old 11-03-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about a movie about the Sniper attacks? Denzel Washington as the sniper, and Forrest Whitaker as Chief Moose? (lil) Bow-Wow as the Malvo (the kid who is the snipers "friend")? Could be the next Under Siege 2!
Old 11-03-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So when do you think it will be out?

I also can't wait to see the extras on the DVD like the making of and or maybe a unrated directors cut version?

what do you foresee?
Have some respect. 9/11 was a terrible event and in no way should some snot-nosed kid like you be making light of it. I'm sure many of the victims and their families would be horrified to read your post.

As for me, I hope a movie of it is never made. It's not like Pearl Harbor which ignited a world war (which, by the way I am yet to see b/c I don't understand how a nat'l tragedy could be made into a love story...much like Titanic, also on the "will not watch" list)

In short, you need to start re-thinking your posts or else someone may get offended. 9/11 was and still is nothing to joke about.
Old 11-04-02, 12:33 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is already a film about 9/11.

11'09''01

11 directors made shorts each lasting 11 minutes, 9 seconds and 1 frame.

The directors were: Youssef Chahine (Egypt), Amos Gitai (Israel), Alejandro González Iñárritu (Mexico), Shohei Imamura (Japan), Claude Lelouch (France), Ken Loach (United Kingdom), Samira Makhmalbaf (Iran),
Mira Nair (India), Idrissa Ouedraogo (Burkina Faso),
Sean Penn (USA) and Danis Tanovic (Bosnia-Herzegovina)
Old 11-04-02, 10:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Movie Talk.
Old 11-04-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Here To Eternity was released just 12 years after Pearl Harbor, and it is a classic. So yes, it is possible to create a good movie based on a tragedy within the same era.
Old 11-04-02, 12:44 PM
Cool New Member

There will definately be a 9/11 movie in the future, it's just a matter of when.

What would make me angry is if it got the Michael Bay "Pearl Harbor" treatment. If they're going to re-create the events, do it in a historical way, not in an action-movie style.
Old 11-04-02, 02:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

From Here To Eternity was released just 12 years after Pearl Harbor, and it is a classic. So yes, it is possible to create a good movie based on a tragedy within the same era.
It also depends on closure. While Pearl harbor was a tragedy, the war ultimately ended in victory, the Axis forces were defeated, and former enemies were re-built to become allies. There was an ending to that chapter in America's, not to mention the world's, history.

There's none of that closure for 9/11 (yet), nor will there probably be closure for a long time. Al-qaida is still out there, the leaders haven't been caught yet, and there's a looming war with Iraq. Unfortunately, 12 years probably won't be enough time to root out terrorism for closure to occur.
Old 11-04-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I hope they wait about 80 to 100 years after the event. That way we won't have to watch it and almost everyone who can remember the horror of it won't have to sit through it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.