Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First Superman, now the Fantastic Four movie...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First Superman, now the Fantastic Four movie...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about new versions of Captain America, Avengers, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Punisher and Nick Fury?
Old 11-02-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I recall they tried a Nick Fury TV movie on Fox with David Hasselhoff playing the SHIELD agent. What I saw of it was horrid.
Old 11-02-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
imo, they could have done a lot worse with the origin story. it doesn't sound that bad.
Old 11-02-02, 02:57 PM
Cool New Member

I just can't see the FF on screen in live action. Animated would almost be a better way to go.
Old 11-03-02, 09:52 AM

Re: 1994 FF Flick

The 3rd DVD in the Spider-Man box set is an interview of Stan Lee, a previously done documentary.
In this interview, Stan Lee talks about the earlier FF movie. He says that the only reason it was done was because the studio that held the rights on the property had to do some principal photography to hold onto the rights.
He said it was never the studio's intention to release the movie. Neither the actors nor the director knew this.
J
Old 11-03-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
It just seems like a lame 'cop-out' to me to always make the hero and villian intimately related, 'light and dark' sides of the same coin in movies. Examples -- Joker kills Batman's folks instead of some anonymous gunman, Green Goblin's company is responsible for Spider-Man's powers, etc. It's rather limp storytelling to fall back on the "you're my enemy, and my twisted reflection!" theory every time. Of course, I guess they do it in comic books all the time too, but I've always liked it better when the villain is JUST a villain -- not the heros' father/employer/ex-girlfriend/pet chiropractor or whatever.
I think they're just compressing the story because a superhero's signature villian usually doesn' t show up until well into the series. With the exception of Magneto for the X-Men, villians like the Joker, the Green Goblin and Dr. Doom become popular once the main characters are well established. Dr. Doom first showed up in FF#5, but didn't become a real standout until much later.

I would rather see the FF fight Galactus. That would be the best way to introduce the Silver Surfer too.
Old 11-03-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
It just seems like a lame 'cop-out' to me to always make the hero and villian intimately related, 'light and dark' sides of the same coin in movies... Green Goblin's company is responsible for Spider-Man's powers...
Is this how it was in the comic? In the movie it was a University Research program wasn't it?

-CM-
Old 11-03-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
I would rather see the FF fight Galactus. That would be the best way to introduce the Silver Surfer too.
That would be cool, and would only be possible if the rights to a Silver Surfer movie are owned by the same studio.
Old 11-03-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can understand when studios, directors, producers, screen-writers, or who ever involves in the production change the background story of each superhero character...
i mean, c'mon NOT everything came straight from comic book will work on the big screen...

as long they don't butchered the character so bad, like Batman can turn a man into a frog with wooden stick :rolleye:

i remembered spider-man & captain america when i was a kid (watching them in big screen cinema) it was cool

now, more & more studios want to remake them again since they have the technology to make it happen... specialy like Fantastic 4 & Hulk where you can easily make the character even more believeable with CGI

hope it work good though
Old 11-04-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
That would be cool, and would only be possible if the rights to a Silver Surfer movie are owned by the same studio.
I believe that Fox still has the rights to the Surfer.. uneventful script. Surfer is Norrin Radd thru 3/4 of the script.
Old 11-05-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish

I just hope I can hold back my girlish squeal the first time Benjy yells "It's Clobberin' Time." Of course, if they cut out that little piece of funnybook nuance, I could possibly be encouraged to riot.
Don't forget "Flame On!"
Old 11-05-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With an amazingly hot soundtrack by some of MTV's hottest stars!! YES!!
Old 11-05-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by pixyboi
With an amazingly hot soundtrack by some of MTV's hottest stars!! YES!!

don't forget the MTV style editing! I smell a blockbuster!
Old 11-05-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
don't forget the MTV style editing! I smell a blockbuster!
And billions of geeks who've barely heard of F4 before this will instantly become big fans!
Old 11-05-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RKillgore
Don't forget "Flame On!"
Oh yeah, the Fantastic Four. The one with the Invisible Bitch, and "Flame on" and s***, right?

Old 11-05-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Woo, now even more from Dark Horizons --- well, I like the take on the
"family" concept but the whole Dr. Doom thing just seems rather wack to me -- Jude Law as Dr. Doom? Oh well. Us fanboys need somethin' to bitch about, don't we?

If you've read this far you don't really need SPOILERS....

The Fantastic Four: MTV talked with writer Doug Petrie who elaborated on details he spilled last week about the script for the comic adaptation which he's now comparing a lot to the Beatles movie: "The big reason I got hired was that the scripts that were done before, by pretty big-name guys, were origin stories. [The other scripts] were very big on 'these are astronauts that go to space' for the first, like, half-hour. It was something like 'Armageddon.' I just kept saying it's got to be like 'A Hard Day's Night'. To the world outside, they are the world's coolest superheroes. [But] when they get home, they just fight with each other about everything. They order pizzas and argue about who gets the better costumes and stuff like that. It's a family comedy when they get behind closed doors". Paul Walker, Charlize Theron, John C. Reilly and Alexis Denisof as the team with Jude Law as Dr. Doom are Petrie's dream casting choices for the parts, and Petrie went on to elaborate a lot about the look of Dr. Doom: "He gets screwed out of the superpowers, so he made himself who he is. ... The Marvel guys were very high on showing the actor's face. ... I hope I'm not spilling too many secrets. But I got caught up with how to show his face but keep the scariness of a guy in a mask. I wanted the big reveal to be [that] the mask is a high-tech thing that can separate and retract off his face when he wants it to. You see that he's unbelievably handsome. ... But it doesn't end there. When he's handsome, he's lying. When his real character comes out, his face starts to sag and melt and scarify in this horrible way. And what you learn is that his face got so smashed upon his re-entry - he was one of the original astronauts - he's literally falling apart. And the mask is the only thing keeping him together". Thanks to 'Ryan' & 'FanHalen'.
Old 11-05-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: 1994 FF Flick

Originally posted by joelgee
The 3rd DVD in the Spider-Man box set is an interview of Stan Lee, a previously done documentary.
In this interview, Stan Lee talks about the earlier FF movie. He says that the only reason it was done was because the studio that held the rights on the property had to do some principal photography to hold onto the rights.
He said it was never the studio's intention to release the movie. Neither the actors nor the director knew this.
J
I had heard this story before, but it doesn't really make sense. I've seen the movie (on tape) and it's a finished product - not just 'some principal photography'. It sucks, but it's a finished product.

That being said, I thought they actually did a pretty good job on the Thing in that movie. Especially considering the budget.
Old 11-05-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The 1994 flick, abomination that it was, kind of convinced me that no matter how cool the special effects, Mr. Fantastic's stretching power will always look rather silly on screen. He stretches. It just looks a lot sillier than it comes across in comic books in real life (of course in Coman's "epic" the stretching appeared to have been done by people holding long arms on poles representing a stretching limb, not exactly hi-tech). I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but still suspect a guy stretching his limbs on screen is going to look rather funky no matter how much $$$ they spend on it.
Old 11-05-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even more bad news......
Spoiler Alert!! Sort of...

From Comics2flim.com

http://www.comics2film.com/StoryFrame.php?f_id=2057

Screenwriter Doug Petrie recently spilled several beans on the Fantastic Four movie to MTV's Movie House correspondent Ryan J. Downey. Petrie's comments are surprisingly revealing and a SPOILER WARNING should be considered to be in effect for the remainder of this article.

In the recent interview, Petrie said that he envisions the movie to be more like The Beatles than The Right Stuff.

"[The other scripts] were very big on 'these are astronauts that go to space' for the first, like, half-hour," Petrie told Movie House. "It was something like Armageddon. I just kept saying it's got to be like A Hard Day's Night."

The opening scene would have the already formed team performing acts of heroism in front of a mob of fans, rather than belaboring the origin story. However, Petrie is intent on keeping the flavor of the comics. "I wanted the poster for the movie to be the cover for the first issue, where basically you do a live-action version of a giant monster ripping through Fifth Avenue and Fantastic Four kicking its ass. For budget reasons, it went to something else, but it's still a giant opening scene," Petrie said.

The movie will present the Fantastic Four as celebrities: the world's coolest superheroes. As previously reported, the film will also call for comedic interaction between the squabbling family of heroes.

The writer also talked at great length about Doctor Doom, the team's nemesis. Plans are for the movie version of the character to be more closely tied to the origins of the FF themselves. "We played him as the Pete Best of the Fantastic Four. He gets screwed out of the superpowers, so he made himself who he is."

Doom is one of the original astronauts who comes back from that fateful test flight with more curse than blessing. He gets disfigured during the rocket crash and now hides behind his mask. However, unlike the comic character, the movie Doom will take the mask off.

"I wanted the big reveal to be [that] the mask is a high-tech thing that can separate and retract off his face when he wants it to," Petrie told MTV. "You see that he's unbelievably handsome. ... But it doesn't end there. When he's handsome, he's lying. When his real character comes out, his face starts to sag and melt and scarify in this horrible way."

Petrie told MTV, "There's a tremendous amount of pressure to get this movie made and to get it right and to cash in on the mania that obviously exists out there and the need for superhero stories."

Check out the complete interview for more insights from Petrie. Fantastic Four is said to be slated for a 2004 release.

Spider-Man and X-Men weren't 100% faithful but at least there were certain elements that were essential to the story that they got right. This just sounds like it's WAAAAAAAAAAY OFF! I have a bad feeling about this....

Old 11-06-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
*sobs* Doesn't anyone aside from Raimi and Donner know how to do superheroes? The jury is still out on Singer IMO, and Burton doesn't even make it.