Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

woody allen claims he is a "failed artist"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woody Allen Says Is Failed Artist
Monday October 28 1:20 PM ET

ROME (AP) He's won three Oscars and is considered by many to be one of the best movie directors of our time. But Woody Allen says if he had three words to define himself, "I would say I am a failed artist."

"I am not even an actor," the 66-year-old Allen was quoted as saying by La Repubblica daily and other Italian newspapers over the weekend. "Dustin Hoffman is an actor, Jack Nicholson is an actor, I'm not."

Allen has appeared in many of his own films, including "Annie Hall," "Hannah and Her Sisters," "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion" and "Hollywood Ending."

"If I weren't famous, nobody would come to my concerts," he told the Rome daily Il Messaggero. "I'm less than mediocre with the clarinet."

Allen was in Rome to promote "Hollywood Ending," which was a box-office disappointment in the United States.

He won Oscars for best director and best original screenplay for 1977's "Annie Hall" and for best original screenplay for 1986's "Hannah and Her Sisters."
Old 10-28-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
You won't get an argument from me.

Last edited by sherm42; 10-28-02 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could have told him this years ago.
Old 10-28-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least he acknowledges it.
Old 10-28-02, 05:55 PM

Well, being that the self is usually the strongest critic, and given his common theme of self-criticism in many of his films, this is not a surprising statement from Allen. However, this does not change the fact that he's one of cinema's greats. Allen is always hypochondriacal and self-deprecating, but that doesn't take away from what he's done. He's easily in my top ten of American directors...
Old 10-28-02, 06:01 PM
Banned

I read this too. But it seems to me that he is referring only to his acting and musical abilities. He laments that he doesn't like himself as an actor and that he is a bad musician. He doesn't say anything about himself being a bad director, which he isn't, although he has stunk since Deconstructing Harry.
Old 10-28-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ He isn't a bad director. I actually like him as an actor only cause of his neurotic behavior, not necessarily cause he's a good actor.
Old 10-28-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I've always admired Allen's humility. It's something a hell of a lot of younger directors could learn from. I give the man credit for always keeping at work, and putting out a movie every year nearly even if they aren't all classics. I'd still rather watch mediocre Allen like "Curse Of The Jade Scorpion" over almost anything else in the box office top ten every week.
Old 10-28-02, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LBPound
At least he acknowledges it.
Word!
Old 10-28-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's never been a good actor and he's at best just average as a clarinet player. If he aspired to be better, and can't get to that level, then he's definitely failed. What's the big deal?
Old 10-28-02, 09:38 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Then, to cheer himself up, he went out and married an Olsen twin.
Old 10-29-02, 10:05 AM
Banned

I'm sorry but his movies suck. Just had to say it.
Old 10-29-02, 10:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
I'm sorry but his movies suck. Just had to say it.
How many of his movies have you actually seen?
Old 10-29-02, 10:16 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've always said that he's a good director, but I wish he would stop putting himself in his films.

I like this quote from him:
(Allen) was even more deprecating about Hollywood, calling it "a place where people spend a huge amount of money and yet make very few, if any, decent films." Even films that are regarded as Hollywood's greatest masterpieces compare poorly with such European films as The Bicycle Thief, Grand Illusion or 8 1/2, which are, he said, "deeper works of art."
Old 10-29-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe, his self-depreciating humor/opinion is what makes him who he is... Where is the surprise?
Old 10-29-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked "Celebrity" and "Sweet and Lowdown". Look, you can't hit the bulls-eye everytime.
Old 10-29-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Another thread which enables all the Allen haters to offer their deep and insightful thoughts on why they don't like his films
Old 10-29-02, 01:16 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Word!
Old 10-29-02, 01:16 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think of him as a failed artist but as a successful pedophile.
Old 10-29-02, 01:23 PM

I think he's a fine actor and director.
Old 10-29-02, 01:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Jaymole
Another thread which enables all the Allen haters to offer their deep and insightful thoughts on why they don't like his films
D00d, he married his own daughter. Like, all his movies are SUCK!!!
Old 10-29-02, 03:09 PM

In my opinion, Allen has been in a complete tailspin since Crimes and Misdemeanors. His entire 1990's output has been truly embarrassing. And this is speaking from someone who dutifully went every opening weekend from A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy through Small Town Crooks, even when I knew the films were going to both suck and blow.

My theory is that even the greatest of great directors only have a brief time when they do their really exceptional work that is both artistically engaging and well admired. It's only a decade or so of consistently good work. The corollary to this is that as soon as a filmmaker has enough notoriety that the average moviegoer knows his name and can recognize his face it's almost a sure bet that the movie is going to be lousy. At least that's almost always the case with American films -- my historical perspective regarding non-American filmmakers isn't nearly as complete.

Allen had a really exceptional run from, say, Annie Hall through Hannah and Her Sisters. He should be proud of that. But it's way over for him.
Old 10-29-02, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by auntiewinnie
In my opinion, Allen has been in a complete tailspin since Crimes and Misdemeanors. His entire 1990's output has been truly embarrassing. And this is speaking from someone who dutifully went every opening weekend from A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy through Small Town Crooks, even when I knew the films were going to both suck and blow.

My theory is that even the greatest of great directors only have a brief time when they do their really exceptional work that is both artistically engaging and well admired. It's only a decade or so of consistently good work. The corollary to this is that as soon as a filmmaker has enough notoriety that the average moviegoer knows his name and can recognize his face it's almost a sure bet that the movie is going to be lousy. At least that's almost always the case with American films -- my historical perspective regarding non-American filmmakers isn't nearly as complete.

Allen had a really exceptional run from, say, Annie Hall through Hannah and Her Sisters. He should be proud of that. But it's way over for him.
You're right.. I think Allen is definately way past his prime. I've only liked three of his films these past ten - twelve years (Sweet and Lowdown, Bullets Over Broadway (moderately), Deconstructing Harry). His latest, Hollywood Ending, was just embarassing.

The 80's was probably my favorite Allen decade though.
Old 10-29-02, 04:51 PM
Banned

I agree with everything auntiewinnie said, except I think Deconstructing Harry is a damn good comedy.
Old 10-29-02, 05:14 PM

Unlike many I really don't like his work, so I fully agree with him

BTW: IMHO his statement is just him on an ego trip. He knows how successful he is considered by the great majority. By him saying that he is a failure I guess we're supposed to be impressed. He probably wants us to say, "Wow, if he considers all that he's accomplished a failure, he must really be a genius."

If you like him that's ok with me. However, as far as I'm concerned I'd rather watch an Ed Wood movie than a Woody Allen movie and he's a looser as far as his private life is concerned too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.